Ontario's Public Holidays Challenge Cache

entogeek

Unfortunately I will not be able to get to the final on Family Day but I have been working on the challenge. Just have the one more to do, like everyone else. Hopefully will get there soon though.

have fun everyone, I'll be in Orlando working on a webcam and benchmark. And whatever else I can happen to get...

For a few more webcam options, head over to Melbourne Florida if you are an early riser for Rise and Shine GCJN85. You need to get the time stamp on this one to show you were there at sunrise. Then head over to Grandma's House GCB654 before heading back to Orlando. Unfortunately the third webcam in the area seems to be broken. :)

Unfortunately we will not be heading there for the FTF party... we will be on our side completing an Earthcache, then heading back indoors LOL

It'll have to wait till we get around to "that side of the lake" in the future... It was definitely fun completing all the caches though!

Team DyverDown

Ah, finally, Family Day. As we put our little ones down to sleep for the night, we think back of Family Days past.

Mommy would begin to prepare the Family Day feast early Monday morning, stewing whatever Daddy had run over earlier in the week. Of course, we would be up early, we could hardly sleep the night before (Family Day Eve) ... what surprises would await us under the Family Day Tree?!

We would spend the day outdoors, looking for Family Day eggs hidden under logs and in trees in the woods. Growing up in the country made it fun ... I heard that in the city, Family Day eggs were often hidden in lamp skirts and other such sad places.

After watching the traditional Family Day football classic (Argos vs TiCats, imagine if that were to change, how sad it would be!) we would gather around the fire in the living room, which was an adventure in itself. We didn't have a fireplace. Daddy drank a lot.

This year we will continue a Family Day tradition of hitting the ski hills early, searching for that Family Day Broken Arm that has always eluded us in the past. Along the way, we'll stop to look for eggs, and before coming home to that traditional slow-cooked Roadkill we'll stop at Rouge Park to read the logs of those who couldn't sleep through the excitement of Family Day Eve. And we'll sign in ourselves. Provided we can find a "Traditional".

Good Luck everyone, and as we've been saying for years and years, Happy Family Day!

TMI Geek, TMI!

As a matter of point Mr. Geek, next time you have a holiday challenge, start it the summer! It's a blizzard out there!

I vote we all stay home and meet at the cache at... Say noon tomorrow, a more enjoyable time and I'm sure the roads will be better

Well?

I think I just p'd myself reading Paul n Susan's post. :blink:

Yep, I checked, and I did. :o

I have to wait until Canada Day. I heard CO say he will wait at the cache at midnight of every public holiday, to welcome the next finders. So nice of him, I thought.

What a nice guy (I mean geek) to go to those lengths to support his fellow caches. Give up every long weekend to hang around the GTA. LOL

I have to wait until Canada Day. I heard CO say he will wait at the cache at midnight of every public holiday, to welcome the next finders. So nice of him, I thought.

But what if the the cachers don't go to the cache right away, but only the next day? Or the day after? I think he should be waiting there every day, and not only at midnight. There's a nice abandonded tent not far from the cache site, looked quite comfy and can easily be moved closer to the cache.

Glad to see that there is still interest in this challenge. :D

Still interest? for sure. I picked up a letterbox, one of the multis I DNFd on Family Day and a traditional for good measure. All of that on Good Friday while out for a walk with my uncle.

Good work. How many more days to go?

Glad to see that there is still interest in this challenge. :D

Still interest? for sure. I picked up a letterbox, one of the multis I DNFd on Family Day and a traditional for good measure. All of that on Good Friday while out for a walk with my uncle.

Good work. How many more days to go?

Should be able to qualify on Victoria Day as I didn't know about the challenge at this point last year and only got traditionals that day. I don't have my grid handy but I could try for another Wherigo, have to wait and see I guess.

Is anyone else still working on this challenge? I only need a puzzle or letterbox cache on Boxing Day to qualify, and I just happen to have a confirmed accurate set of coordinates for a puzzle cache located elsewhere in the same park, so I'll be there some time on Boxing Day.

That sure beats fighting the mob scene in the malls. :laughing:

Is anyone else still working on this challenge? I only need a puzzle or letterbox cache on Boxing Day to qualify, and I just happen to have a confirmed accurate set of coordinates for a puzzle cache located elsewhere in the same park, so I'll be there some time on Boxing Day.

That sure beats fighting the mob scene in the malls. :laughing:

I won't be there for midnight. Mid-day, maybe. GO chance-it can't get me from Brampton to the park any time before 8:30 at the earliest, and I'll have a few kilometers of hiking to do before I visit the challenge. I'm sort of toying with the idea of going for a clean sweep of all the non-puzzle caches in the park.

Anyone know if there's an easy way to cross the river in the area of Oh Deer, Oh Deer?

I won't be there for midnight. Mid-day, maybe. GO chance-it can't get me from Brampton to the park any time before 8:30 at the earliest, and I'll have a few kilometers of hiking to do before I visit the challenge. I'm sort of toying with the idea of going for a clean sweep of all the non-puzzle caches in the park.

Anyone know if there's an easy way to cross the river in the area of Oh Deer, Oh Deer?

Little Rouge Creek is filled with many large rocks that could easily facilitate a crossing unless the water was exceptionally high. When I visited Sixth Sanctum: Marsh of Grand Dreams I approached from the gate located around N43 50.140 W79 10.976. I don't see why you couldn't find a crossing in a near direct approach to Oh Deer, Oh Deer. The official approach from the South would be to pick up the Hillside Nature Trail at N43 49.769 W79 10.814.

Keep in mind that my visit of these two caches were in 08 and 09 although I doubt anything has changed since then.

Well, I got it done. I got off the bus near the Metro Zoo, and hiked up to Oh Deer,Oh Deer (GC1VX6P) as a starting point for the day's caching. Along the way, I found four other caches, including the final for the Ten Little Indians series. That one was the 'unknown' type cache I needed to fill in the final spot on the holidays grid. The holidays cache was the last cache find for the day, and strangely enough, it was also the only one where I had a watcher. There was a deer watching me while I signed the logbook :)

Check my math? I think this is a correct GSAK filter WHERE statement that covers all applicable holidays

FoundByMeDate = '2010-04-02'

or

FoundByMeDate = '2010-05-24'

or

FoundByMeDate = '2010-07-01'

or

FoundByMeDate = '2010-09-06'

or

FoundByMeDate = '2010-10-11'

or

FoundByMeDate = '2010-12-25'

or

FoundByMeDate = '2010-12-26'

or

FoundByMeDate = '2011-01-01'

or

FoundByMeDate = '2011-02-21'

or

FoundByMeDate = '2011-04-22'

or

FoundByMeDate = '2011-05-23'

or

FoundByMeDate = '2011-07-01'

or

FoundByMeDate = '2011-09-05'

or

FoundByMeDate = '2011-10-10'

or

FoundByMeDate = '2011-12-25'

or

FoundByMeDate = '2011-12-26'

or

FoundByMeDate = '2012-01-01'

or

FoundByMeDate = '2012-02-20'

or

FoundByMeDate = '2012-04-06'

or

FoundByMeDate = '2012-05-21'

or

FoundByMeDate = '2012-07-01'

I was going to edit the last post to update the list but there's a timeout on post editing.

So here's the WHERE filter up to, and including Family Day 2013:

FoundByMeDate = '2010-04-02'

or

FoundByMeDate = '2010-05-24'

or

FoundByMeDate = '2010-07-01'

or

FoundByMeDate = '2010-09-06'

or

FoundByMeDate = '2010-10-11'

or

FoundByMeDate = '2010-12-25'