Ontario's Public Holidays Challenge Cache

entogeek

Nicely on track for this challenge. Only one problem - we got no chance at FTF :D . We'll be doing a traditional in Hawaii on Family Day :) . At least we'll avoid the mob scene in the middle of the night. That should be funny. Take pics of all the FTF midnight maniacs. Fun challenge.............MPC :)

Aww shucks, so sorry to hear you will be out of town for the "Midnight Madness" event. Should anyone be crazy enough to show up - and who's to say anyone will - you'll be in everyone's shivering thoughts.

I'm sure there will be several there. One of them would have been me too. I'll post my 12th to find on March 1st LOL.

I expect there are going to be a few folks enjoying the Midnight Madness event as I plan to be one of them. Just think, you can get all of your Family Day caching done by 12:15am and have a nice relaxing day not haveing to worry about going anywhere. :D

We'll be having a more "traditional" Labour Day

Heh. That's the only type that won't help me for that square.

No MYSTERY for me what I am getting his holiday. Visiting family in the Windsor/Detroit area for a TRADITIONAL family BBQ to celebrate my mother's 75th B. Day. There are VIRTUALally a MULTItude of new unfound caches at my fingertips but I think I will keep this holiday down to EARTH for a change. B)

No MYSTERY for me what I am getting his holiday. Visiting family in the Windsor/Detroit area for a TRADITIONAL family BBQ to celebrate my mother's 75th B. Day. There are VIRTUALally a MULTItude of new unfound caches at my fingertips but I think I will keep this holiday down to EARTH for a change. B)

Groan x B):anitongue::D:anitongue::)

Edited by entogeek

What is everyone sleeping? Is noone else going to issure a reminder!

There is a holiday in 3 days, got your plans ready?

I think I will be cleaning up for the holiday!

We would appreciate it if you would take the time to clean up everyday, and not just on the holidays. LOL :signalviolin:

Edited by Skyecat

What is everyone sleeping? Is noone else going to issure a reminder!

There is a holiday in 3 days, got your plans ready?

I think I will be cleaning up for the holiday!

We would appreciate it if you would take the time to clean up everyday, and not just on the holidays. LOL :signalviolin:

I do and have but there is no where to record it on the non-holidays.

This is a bit of a throwback but I just read this thread for the first time.

I was referring to U.S. Benchmarks. The ones I found had no photo requirement and I can see no "owner" to police the logging.

Perhaps Canadian Benchmarks are different.

there are no Canadian Benchmarks that can be logged on GC, only ones recognized are the NGS Benchmarks

Unless you are in Alberta then you can claim a find on the Brass Cap Cache, a grandfathered roaming virtual cache.

Also, for those of us that do stumble across this and decide to have a look, the url for this cache is http://coord.info/GC24RB8. I didn't see it noted anywhere else.

I don't like a lot of challenge caches, mainly because I don't think I'll ever complete them. However this one intrigues me mainly because I did a virtual on Good Friday and the Project A.P.E. cache on Canada Day. I'll have to go through and see what else I've already done.

I don't like a lot of challenge caches, mainly because I don't think I'll ever complete them. However this one intrigues me mainly because I did a virtual on Good Friday and the Project A.P.E. cache on Canada Day. I'll have to go through and see what else I've already done.

A Project A.P.E. cache is perfect for Canada Day! :santa: Congrats on getting such a unique icon for the centre square.

BTW, if anyone outside of Ontario wants to create their own provincial or territorial holiday challenge similar to this one then feel free to do so. I think it would be kind of neat to see similar ones across the country. Ok, I know, I know, I'm getting a little to big for my britches here. :)

A Project A.P.E. cache is perfect for Canada Day! ;) Congrats on getting such a unique icon for the centre square.

BTW, if anyone outside of Ontario wants to create their own provincial or territorial holiday challenge similar to this one then feel free to do so. I think it would be kind of neat to see similar ones across the country. Ok, I know, I know, I'm getting a little to big for my britches here. :D

Thanks, I thought it was cool too but completely accidental, there was a few of us convoying to Carnation for GW VIII and we happened to be going through that day. First time I've been outside Canada on Canada Day.

I was actually thinking about doing the same thing in Alberta. We've seen a lot of challenge caches lately but this one would actually be attainable for me. Looks like I won't qualify until May though as I only have traditional caches for Thanksgiving and Victoria Day this year. Christmas Day is shaping up to be a hike for a letterbox. I'll probably be late for dinner on Boxing day at my Aunt's as I'll have to find a multi on the way to her farm. New Years day at my parents will be tough because the closest EC/virtual is about 50 km away.

Thanks for this, I've had fun just planning my strategy.

Edited by mrcanoehead224

Another good question has just been posed to me, "Can you include a find on an archived cache for the purposes of your Holiday Challenge if the cache has not been removed by the CO?"

Here are two possible scenarios:

1. You find a cache days, weeks or months after it has been archived.

2. You find a cache on the same day it has been archived.

Here are my rulings:

1. In the first scenario, no - they don't qualify as a responsible CO would remove their cache upon archiving it and therefore you wouldn't be able to find the cache.

2. As for the second scenario, I'm a firm believer in responsible geocaching and I am willing to allow logs on archived caches but only on the date the cache was archived. I think this is fair since it is quite possible that someone could log a find on a cache in the morning and later that day the CO archives it.

I hope you find this acceptable.

Merry Christmas!

I started off yesterday with good intentions. I had a location planned where I could get a trad, puzzle, EC, multi and letterbox. That would have also match my record for most icons in a day.

By the time I got to the area, it was dusk so the ECs (there were two nearby) were out as I couldn't get good pictures. I spent two hours on the letterbox trying to decipher the clues and overcome the four foot drifts of snow. Same thing for the multi, I started down a dead end road that was cache rich but snowplow poor. I stopped at the first cache, a traditional, and wondered if I'd be able to get up the hill and carry on. Turns out I almost didn't, even after throwing the geomobile in 4WD. Eventually I caught a bit of traction and was able to back out using my mirrors and reverse lights to guide me.

So, I ended up with a puzzle as my only option as I have just one Trad on Thanksgiving. I'm about to head out for an EC now which will get me on track for a relatively easy and accessible multi near my parent's on New Years Day.

Merry Christmas everyone.

And then there were two. Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and relaxing Boxing Day.

Not so relaxing today but I did manage to smile for the webcam shot. Also logged an earthcache, two puzzle caches and two traditional caches. That and drove over 700km and saw the Atlantic Ocean and the Gulf of Mexico.

Christmas Day was nice and relaxing as I was able to spend some quality time with my father as he accompanied me to find an earthcache, virtual, letterbox and benchmark.

After next Saturday it will be nice to take a break until Family Day.

And then there were two. Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and relaxing Boxing Day.

Not so relaxing today but I did manage to smile for the webcam shot. Also logged an earthcache, two puzzle caches and two traditional caches. That and drove over 700km and saw the Atlantic Ocean and the Gulf of Mexico.

Christmas Day was nice and relaxing as I was able to spend some quality time with my father as he accompanied me to find an earthcache, virtual, letterbox and benchmark.

You do know that all these different types of caches are supposed to be spread out on the various holidays, not each holiday LOL!

Hope you had a great time.

You do know that all these different types of caches are supposed to be spread out on the various holidays, not each holiday LOL!

Hope you had a great time.

I did have a great time and just wanted to make sure I had plenty of options. If things work out and I get either a letterbox or earthcache on New Years Day, then I can head into Family day needing just a traditional cache. With that I will not have to worry about one of the requirements because I can claim 9 different icons for the nine squares. I heard something about an easy traditional cache not too far from the OPHCC.

I thought this cache was nuts when it was published, but it has turned out to be an interesting and fun challenge so far. We planned well in advance, and we still ran into plenty of roadblocks beyond our control. Like so many, we have commitments on most holidays .... so planning was essential. Our Canada Day letterbox was temporarily disabled the week before - muggled - so we had to make a side trip. We knew Boxing Day would be a challenge because of our location and schedule, but throw in a little deep snow and it became very difficult (One DNF, one find!) We thought New Years Day would be a breeze, but the day fell apart early and the weather was lousy. Thank goodness we did multiple types on Thanksgiving. We managed a quick multi while travelling to a family function and we were saved! Every other day worked out as planned, surprisingly.

Hats off to those who manage to complete cache-a-day challenges ... simply nine scattered days through the year is tough enough.

Saved a Trad for Family Day. No pressure. We hope.

Saved a Trad for Family Day. No pressure. We hope.

And I think you are going to be the CO's of one of the most popular mystery caches on Family Day of this year. Nudge, nudge, wink, wink. :rolleyes:

And I think you’re going to be the CO's of one of the most popular traditional caches on Family Day of this year.... as long as it doesn't get Muggled the night before! LOL

No wait that doesn't work, I need a traditional!

Going for 9 different icon types?

That's the plan but I have some flexibility and can move a few things around if need be to achieve the same result if I need to get a puzzle or earthcache at the last minute. An event cache would also fit nicely. Not much chance of a midnight CITO.