Ontario's Public Holidays Challenge Cache

entogeek

As a new cacher, I can appreciate the rules. res2100's BT hike is on Good Friday for anyone keeping count and there's a lot of traditional caches along the route :laughing:

Not to mention, 25C and sunny forecast! And you'll also have an "Event" icon for Good Friday.

The tricky part for this cache is when you realize it's coming up on Christmas and all you need is a Wherigo .... now THAT's sneaking away from a holiday meal!

Not to mention, 25C and sunny forecast! And you'll also have an "Event" icon for Good Friday.

I am so excited for the weekend, espically after the cold weather and rain we've had for the last few days. Maybe I'll see you along the trails at some point seeing how you're from Halton Hills :laughing:

<snip>

Sucks for folks like me who are pretty much guaranteed to be working on Holidays. So i guess i will [vent]/rage/express my [disdain]/dislike/appreciation/fondness !

Hadn't thought about that. :laughing: Please accept the geek's humblest apologies. :rolleyes:

Edited by entogeek

A benchmark is just a different type of virtual, with no real verification the cacher actually visited the benchmark.

I see no reason not to accept it.

sure they can be verified

the virtuals i've done all required a photo at GZ for verification, no photo no smilie

same can be requested for benchmarks

A benchmark is just a different type of virtual, with no real verification the cacher actually visited the benchmark.

I see no reason not to accept it.

sure they can be verified

the virtuals i've done all required a photo at GZ for verification, no photo no smilie

same can be requested for benchmarks

I was referring to U.S. Benchmarks. The ones I found had no photo requirement and I can see no "owner" to police the logging.

Perhaps Canadian Benchmarks are different.

I was referring to U.S. Benchmarks. The ones I found had no photo requirement and I can see no "owner" to police the logging.

there are no Canadian Benchmarks that can be logged on GC, only ones recognized are the NGS Benchmarks

there are no Canadian Benchmarks that can be logged on GC, only ones recognized are the NGS Benchmarks

So, what is the ruling, entogeek? Benchmarks or no benchmarks?

Everybody have their to-do list ready for Victoria Day?

Yes I am doing a nearby cache, I was thinking of doing this cache, and I still have to decide whether or not to drive 136.2km for it... I think it might be worth it! I was hoping I could get an FTF for once, but I can see everybody else has patience too!

Only 1 Wherigo nearby... Canada day looks like the best time for that!

I will be awarding nine prizes - one to each of the first nine cachers who have: 1) met the challenge and 2) found and signed the log book no earlier than 12:01 am 21 February 2011 (this just happens to be Family Day). :laughing: The prizes will not be in the cache itself - they will be in my possession waiting to be awarded to the "First Nine to Find".

I will be checking the cache on 20 February 2011 and any names entered into the log book will be removed as it will not have been possible to meet the challenge prior to 21 February 2011. I will also be at the cache as of 11:59 pm 20 February 2011 just in case someone is crazy enough to want to try to be among the "First Nine to Find". B)

I have been asked to make a ruling on the following scenario. Two or more folks cache as a team. Person A logs the final cache while Person B waits near this Challenge cache. Person A "phones/SMS/yells at the top of their lungs" that the challenge is complete and Person B should enter their name into the log book of this Challenge. The international federation of geek-like cachers has ruled that this is a violation of the spirit of this cache and is therefore unacceptable. :laughing:

July 1 is just around the corner - remember, whatever cache type you find tomorrow cannot be used elsewhere in this challenge's grid. :ph34r:

Good luck to all, Happy Canada Day and above all else, have fun! :)

Edited by entogeek

I have been asked to make a ruling on the following scenario. Two or more folks cache as a team. Person A logs the final cache while Person B waits near this Challenge cache. Person A "phones/SMS/yells at the top of their lungs" that the challenge is complete and Person B should enter their name into the log book of this Challenge. The international federation of geek-like cachers has ruled that this is a violation of the spirit of this cache and is therefore unacceptable. :laughing:

would have never crossed my mind to do that, setting that rule from experience? :)

I will also be at the cache as of 11:59 pm 20 February 2011 just in case someone is crazy enough to want to try to be among the "First Nine to Find".

will you wait for FTF, maybe with some hot chocolate ready? B)

Edited by t4e

Benchmarks qualify as do virtuals, events, CITOS, wherigos, earthcaches, multis, mysteries, letterboxes and traditionals. Should TPTB develop a new kind of cache then it can qualify as well.

Hmm...I may be going to Florida at Christmas and there are only traditional and some puzzle caches nearby but there are a number of Benchmarks now available including one just outside the Park where I will be staying. Now I don't have to travel to Sarasota for that earthcache. My mother will be so pleased on Christmas Day and I get to cache in the sunshine.

Edited by Skyecat

I will also be at the cache as of 11:59 pm 20 February 2011 just in case someone is crazy enough to want to try to be among the "First Nine to Find".

will you wait for FTF, maybe with some hot chocolate ready? B)

I see you've already figured out what the prizes will be. :):ph34r::laughing::D:laughing:

Edited by entogeek

Ontario Holiday Challenge Cache song (composed by Skyecat and Walt Disney) :mad:

(Musical Intro)

Hi ho, Hi ho,

It’s off to cache I go

(whistles)

Hi ho, Hi ho

Hi ho, Hi ho

I’m off to find a Wherigo

(whistles)

Hi ho, Hi ho

I have a plan

and have to dash

I want to log

an earth cache

Traditionals, multi’s and mysteries

All have their day

But they are not required

For the Challenge today

So get out the hat and sunscreen

Go put on some socks

Load up the GPS

And look for a letterbox

Chorus

Hi ho, hi ho,

Its off to cache I go

(whistles)

Hi Ho, Hi ho

Hi ho, hi ho

Its off to cache I go

(whistles)

Hi Ho, Hi ho

Happy Canada Day ;)

It was an interesting day for us. We started out in Buffalo with some non-cachers and couldn't convince them to go to the power plant for a webcam cache :(! Totally sucked! We ended up only getting a tracitional in the states! What a challenge that would have been! In the end we ended up getting a traditional, virtual and a letter box - so I think we're looking good for the rest of the year! Looking forward to 12:01 am Feb 21! T of INOC!

I have an Event cache for Good Friday, an Earthcache for Victoria Day, and a Letterbox for Canada Day... this is gonna be easy!

Being one of the first 9 to log the cache though, will not... I have to work that day (finding a qualifying cache will not be a problem). Nevertheless, the fun of completing the challenge is enough for me.

I got a virtual, traditional, and an earthcache on July 1!

Picked up an Earthcache, Wherigo, Letterbox and two traditionals to be on the safe side. Have plans to be in the states for Labour Day close to a number of Virtuals, and Christmas Day in Floridal I can get some Benchmarks. Looking good for Feb 21st at 12:01am

We picked up a Virtual to fill that Evil Centre Square today.......July 4th.....Oh crap wrong country.... ;):blink:

All you need is an American version of the Holiday Bingo challenge to include Presidents Day, Memorial Day and of course American Thanksgiving. That should go with your July 4th find.

Mr. Geek,

I need a ruling from the international federation of geek-like cachers.

You have ruled that Benchmarks qualify as there are just a different type of virtual but....

Do Waymarks qualify?

Personally, I say "NO" as they are not recorded on the geocaching.com stats but on they are recorded on Waymarking.com site. I have heard others say they should count.

So this is why your paid the big bucks in your position of authority... what's the ruling!

I know an exception has been made for benchmarks, but as I stated in an earlier post, "Should TPTB develop a new kind of cache then it can qualify as well." Waymarks, which are listed on the Waymarking site, are not considered a cache by TPTB so they do not qualify. Should TPTB convert them to caches, then they would qualify.

In the words of the immortal Yul Brenner, "So it shall be written, so it shall be done."

I know an exception has been made for benchmarks, but as I stated in an earlier post, "Should TPTB develop a new kind of cache then it can qualify as well." Waymarks, which are listed on the Waymarking site, are not considered a cache by TPTB so they do not qualify. Should TPTB convert them to caches, then they would qualify.

I'm confused... we agree?

This is a trick, right?

I'm confused... we agree?

This is a trick, right?

No, it's not a trick. "Waymarks, which are listed on the Waymarking site, are not considered a cache by TPTB so they do not qualify. "

Nicely on track for this challenge. Only one problem - we got no chance at FTF :D . We'll be doing a traditional in Hawaii on Family Day :) . At least we'll avoid the mob scene in the middle of the night. That should be funny. Take pics of all the FTF midnight maniacs. Fun challenge.............MPC :D

Aww shucks, so sorry to hear you will be out of town for the "Midnight Madness" event. Should anyone be crazy enough to show up - and who's to say anyone will - you'll be in everyone's shivering thoughts.

Nicely on track for this challenge. Only one problem - we got no chance at FTF :D . We'll be doing a traditional in Hawaii on Family Day :) . At least we'll avoid the mob scene in the middle of the night. That should be funny. Take pics of all the FTF midnight maniacs. Fun challenge.............MPC :D

Aww shucks, so sorry to hear you will be out of town for the "Midnight Madness" event. Should anyone be crazy enough to show up - and who's to say anyone will - you'll be in everyone's shivering thoughts.

I'm sure there will be several there. One of them would have been me too. I'll post my 12th to find on March 1st LOL.