"Geodetic survey" markers on ebay

TresOkies

About six months ago, I entered "geodetic survey" into ebay as a whim and I came across several people selling NGS markers. Currently (5/17/02) there is an Air Force marker for sale, but not an NGS marker. There are a bunch of stamps and a few replica lapel pins.

I bring this up because I was describing marker hunting to an acquaintence. He thought it sounded cool, but he wanted to dig them up and sell them as antiques. I told him they were not abandoned property to be taken, but I don't think my warning sunk in. I think I should go and recover those in my area just in case they show up missing in the next few years.

I'm sure there are occasions where a benchmark is no longer valid at a station, but I don't think it's correct to take it and sell it. Or am I wrong?

-E

--

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

Even though this picture is a replica, it clearly states it is illegal to remove survey markers and that there is a fine for doing so. I would hope we don't encourage more "theft" of markers for souvenir hunters! And if it is illegal to remove them, by association, they shouldn't be bought and sold either. Maybe a statement on the main page encouraging recovery and maintenance would be in order? JMHO

whitneypin.jpg

That Mt. Whitney replica pin is pretty nice. I've never been up Whitney, else I'd certainly get one.

The abovementioned Air Force marker (item 2102387984) might be a never-used blank. Note that there are no i.d. numbers engraved on it.

To reduce the number of folks wishing to "Acquire" these items, where do you get these replicas made? I did some google searches but came up empty. My father was saying that all the fourteeners in Colorado have markers at the summits, and you can purchase reproductions as souvenirs.

Jeremy

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Irish:

To reduce the number of folks wishing to "Acquire" these items, where do you get these replicas made?

Jef didn't have it made, he was referencing the eBay store that was selling it...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1829179922

I suspect the eBayer had nothing to do with it either, judging from their eBay store, it looks like something they acquired along the way.

-E

--

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

You can get a replica of the Mount Washington marker here. I didn't notice the real thing when I was up there last summer, but I was not aware of NGS markers back then.

I searched ebay, but didn't see anything but replicas. If I ever found what appeared to be a real marker, I would bring it to eBay's attention. I can't imagine that it is legal to sell them.

I did see on the NGS website situations when it was OK to keep the marker, but I can't find that section right now. Basically, you could take it if it was damaged beyond repair and you had submitted eveidence to that effect, such as a digital pic.

rdw

Surveyors actually replace these every once in a while, and they could certainly be selling them on eBay. One surveyor geocacher told me he does it, so they aren't always illegally sold. Hard to tell the difference between one who is doing it legally and illegally though!

Jeremy

Jeremy Irish

That's cool. I'll try and track down the benchmarks that match the database ones to profile them. Speaking of which we should have folks vote on notable benchmarks to be checked out.

Jeremy

Jeremy Irish