Death of a Cacher.

Shifty

Got this in my mailbox from our Geocaching Group. DocDitto was the original poster.

"A few of you in this group might have known George Lockey, known to the geocaching community as George1. He hid a number of excellent caches in north central PA, including the famous 3 Falls Cache, Earth Elemental II, and Viaduct Bridge - Formerly Stoney Lonesome.

George was in a kayaking accident last weekend and was flown to a hospital in Pittsburgh where he remained on life support until last night, when he passed away.

I met George a few times and he was a wonderful person. His sense of humor and good spirit were contagious, and he will be missed by many cachers and non cachers alike.

I don't know what arrangements (if any) have been made yet for George's funeral; the information I have came from a few posts by mutual friends on Facebook.

I'm passing this along in case anyone here knew George but wasn't aware of the situation."

Got this in my mailbox from our Geocaching Group. DocDitto was the original poster.

"A few of you in this group might have known George Lockey, known to the geocaching community as George1. He hid a number of excellent caches in north central PA, including the famous 3 Falls Cache, Earth Elemental II, and Viaduct Bridge - Formerly Stoney Lonesome.

George was in a kayaking accident last weekend and was flown to a hospital in Pittsburgh where he remained on life support until last night, when he passed away.

I met George a few times and he was a wonderful person. His sense of humor and good spirit were contagious, and he will be missed by many cachers and non cachers alike.

I don't know what arrangements (if any) have been made yet for George's funeral; the information I have came from a few posts by mutual friends on Facebook.

I'm passing this along in case anyone here knew George but wasn't aware of the situation."

Was aware of it due to the front page of the paper yesterday...just noticed on FB where people were saying they would miss him and I put two and two together...

I got to know George through some of the events, and we ran into one another on caches in the area trying to be FTFs. Had a bit of fun and friendly rivalry going for alittle. One time my son and I were scoping out an area and were going to come back another day when we ran into George as he was preparing to go off after the cache...we chatted a while and then my son and I drove off, but as we drove off we noticed there was another pull off down the road that said we would be over .25 of a mile closer. So eventhough we weren't intending to do it (required bushwacking and my son was in flip-flops, lol) we went after it down the access road. Suddenly about half a mile in my son states "I think someone is following us." I turned around to see George hot on our heels...lol, we had a great time going the rest of the way, realizing we had both come in the wrong ways and had to cross marshland and a large stream before bushwacking through waist high ferms and rocks for awhile longer. George taught me how to use the tracking on my GPS and many other things that day, but most of all, we had a great time together.

I sure will miss you George...