Bomb Scare In Lafayette LA

Nice to see that they acknowledge the lack of criminal intent instead of looking to place charges. Now if the reporter would just actually visit the link in the story they may realize it isn't spelled with an S. :blink:

No kidding. To type it with an S next to a link with a C...makes me wonder if they verify resouces for their stories.

I don't like these stories, either. Why couldn't the author put a little more effort into the story then just saying, Check out this link. There are always positives and negatives. They reported a negative, they should have also mentioned a positive. JMO.

Hi everyone, as a local I can add a bit of insight. The cache was a micro called Gray Beard. It was hidden in 2005 by a local cacher who is also a well respected Boy Scout pack leader. It was originally a plastic M&M in a camo bag. That was muggled a while back and replaced with a match safe wrapped in camo tape. The cache was five years old, and back when I found it, it was at the base of a beautiful Live Oak in the middle of a field. Development has engulfed that field till it now surrounds the tree. The cacher who was "caught red handed" so to speak was only in the hobby for two weeks and now appears to be quitting due to this incident. The locals have sent them words of encouragement. It was a very unfortunate event, but we have several local cachers in the police force and we are working to spread geocaching awareness to the police and firemen in light of this event.

Hi everyone, as a local I can add a bit of insight. The cache was a micro called Gray Beard. It was hidden in 2005 by a local cacher who is also a well respected Boy Scout pack leader. It was originally a plastic M&M in a camo bag. That was muggled a while back and replaced with a match safe wrapped in camo tape. The cache was five years old, and back when I found it, it was at the base of a beautiful Live Oak in the middle of a field. Development has engulfed that field till it now surrounds the tree. The cacher who was "caught red handed" so to speak was only in the hobby for two weeks and now appears to be quitting due to this incident. The locals have sent them words of encouragement. It was a very unfortunate event, but we have several local cachers in the police force and we are working to spread geocaching awareness to the police and firemen in light of this event.

Digging further, it looks like the original cache went missing in 2008, and would have been long gone and archived, except for a "throwdown" in 2009 by a 6,000 find cacher. :blink:

Nice to see that they acknowledge the lack of criminal intent instead of looking to place charges. Now if the reporter would just actually visit the link in the story they may realize it isn't spelled with an S. :blink:

No kidding. To type it with an S next to a link with a C...makes me wonder if they verify resouces for their stories.

I don't like these stories, either. Why couldn't the author put a little more effort into the story then just saying, Check out this link. There are always positives and negatives. They reported a negative, they should have also mentioned a positive. JMO.

They absolutely could have typed in geocashing.com and ended up at the right place. It's always worked. Try it yourself. :P

how sad that a news site, media people that are supposed to be literate, can't spell "geocaching" properly even after they put it right along the website link :blink:

Because, like I said in the post above yours, geocashing.com works, and redirects to geocaching.com

So does yourcachesucks.com, but no one's ever owned up to the apparent humor behind that one. :P

Thanks for jogging my memory Z. I remember the day I found it now under that great oak. Not the kind of place that you would think of as a bomb target.

All it takes is someone with an over active imagination and a lot of the city caches could become bomb scares.

They absolutely could have typed in geocashing.com and ended up at the right place. It's always worked. Try it yourself. :P

That is no excuse for a reporter to not research the material they use for their story. Had the reporter typed geocashing.com and been redirected to the proper site and then actually looked at the site they were siting it would have been blindingly apparent that the spelling used was in error. Sloppy work at best. I hope it isn't their full time job.

Thanks for jogging my memory Z. I remember the day I found it now under that great oak. Not the kind of place that you would think of as a bomb target.

All it takes is someone with an over active imagination and a lot of the city caches could become bomb scares.

Yes, the Bomb Scare was really caused by paranoia, not by Geocaching.

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT

I work in local TV, so here's my take on the spelling error... I'm just guessing, based on the fact that Lafayette is a very small market, that they don't have all the resources available in larger markets. (Lafayette is ranked 123 out of 210 TV markets.) In a lot of stations in smaller markets, the text of stories on the website is taken directly from the scripts written for the broadcast. And the same scripts are used for the teleprompter. It's quite reasonable that they would have deliberately misspelled "geocashing" on the teleprompter to help the reporter pronounce it properly on the air.

I work in local TV, so here's my take on the spelling error... I'm just guessing, based on the fact that Lafayette is a very small market, that they don't have all the resources available in larger markets. (Lafayette is ranked 123 out of 210 TV markets.) In a lot of stations in smaller markets, the text of stories on the website is taken directly from the scripts written for the broadcast. And the same scripts are used for the teleprompter. It's quite reasonable that they would have deliberately misspelled "geocashing" on the teleprompter to help the reporter pronounce it properly on the air.

That sounds reasonable, but they should correct those things before printing them. I'm sure they do the same thing with names, but correct them for print.

Because, like I said in the post above yours, geocashing.com works, and redirects to geocaching.com

So does yourcachesucks.com, but no one's ever owned up to the apparent humor behind that one. :blink:

Oh, I have, you just missed it... sekret.gif

http://www.mtn-man.org/adminbrick.html

That is linked off of and explained on this page -- http://www.mtn-man.org/geocoins.html

wow, very funny, where do i get one?

how sad that a news site, media people that are supposed to be literate, can't spell "geocaching" properly even after they put it right along the website link :P

cool i didn't know that, and i guess we posted at the same time so i didn't see

my point is though...how hard is it to miss the error when you have side by side in the same sentence? :blink:

What's geocashing? Click here http://www.geocaching.com/

or maybe its a whole new game where you "hunt" for ATM machines lmao

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=245451

So my question is, how many other people have talked with police and firefighters in their area and introduced them to geocaching? I did just recently in my hometown since they had asked me to plan an event for the 125th anniversary, but I have not or I do not believe anyone else has in my current town.

or maybe its a whole new game where you "hunt" for ATM machines lmao

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=245451

oh, I play that game all the time. I always thought ATM's were supposed to be convenient; Then I moved to Vegas. They either cost $10 or are a 20 minute drive out of the way.

More on topic: It really sucks that this happens. What sucks even more is that it happened to someone that just started caching. I really don't think I would've kept caching if something like this happened to me two weeks in.

Also, it's interesting that this cache may have had permission when placed, but I bet that the person who gave permission is long out of the picture. Since the cache was placed before the development began; It may have been placed before the property was purchased.

Police say they cannot track down person responsible for leaving the device there

The police in Lafayette can't possibly be that dense, right.

So the url is geocaching, but the game is geocashing? :blink:

I am pretty sure that if a simple minded man such as I could locate the cache owner the Police should be able to also.

I know cops like to be respected but it makes it kinda tough when they can't even solve this mystery.

I am pretty sure that if a simple minded man such as I could locate the cache owner the Police should be able to also.

I know cops like to be respected but it makes it kinda tough when they can't even solve this mystery.

Have you actually located the cache owner?

I mean, I know there's a caching name listed as the owner on the cache page... I'm not interested enough to actually go track it down. But just from reading the thread, it sounds like this cache was placed a LONG time ago. Just because there's an owner's name listed on the web page, doesn't mean that it is actually possible to locate the owner.

Another possibility is that "we can't locate the owner" is shorthand for "there was nothing illegal about placing this cache, so we aren't going to bother to try to locate the owner."

I mean, I know there's a caching name listed as the owner on the cache page... I'm not interested enough to actually go track it down. But just from reading the thread, it sounds like this cache was placed a LONG time ago. Just because there's an owner's name listed on the web page, doesn't mean that it is actually possible to locate the owner.

Another possibility is that "we can't locate the owner" is shorthand for "there was nothing illegal about placing this cache, so we aren't going to bother to try to locate the owner."

I suspect that if it were something more serious they could figure it out with little trouble. There are records at GS, ISPs, lots of local cachers to interview. Thing is there is nothing to investigate for. Nothing worth the effort involved.

The caching name would lead to the owner of the cache no? did the cache owner hide? try to hide his or her identity?

You say you aren't interested enough to track it down but you are interested to argue...

If "we can't locate the owner" is short hand for "there was nothing illegal about placing this cache" is your argument then say so.(I wish the police would let us in on their "short hand")

Stop hopping fences.

They either could or could not have found the owner.

I have nothing against the police. But they are no smarter than I and I make mistakes and do not know it all.

I mean, I know there's a caching name listed as the owner on the cache page... I'm not interested enough to actually go track it down.

You get the coordinates, either with a GPS, or approximate them using maps such as Google's. You use those coordinates to find nearby caches on geocaching.com. Bingo! Not exactly rocket surgery. Edited by knowschad

I just recently moved to Lafayette a few months ago and found this cache too. Glad it was not me! I did run into a Lafayette cop while geocaching also...but he was a geocacher too! I think what happened here could have happened anywhere in the USA. Hopefully, we can put this behind us and move on.

Indeed. I did not mean to imply that the Lafayette police force was any worse than anywhere else.

It could happen anywhere in the USA or even Canada where I live but... Police can track a guy down through DNA evidence but cannot find a guy who lists something...C'mon....

I just recently moved to Lafayette a few months ago and found this cache too. Glad it was not me! I did run into a Lafayette cop while geocaching also...but he was a geocacher too! I think what happened here could have happened anywhere in the USA. Hopefully, we can put this behind us and move on.

Indeed. I did not mean to imply that the Lafayette police force was any worse than anywhere else.

It could happen anywhere in the USA or even Canada where I live but... Police can track a guy down through DNA evidence but cannot find a guy who lists something...C'mon....

This thread is all over the place. But even if they track the guy down, no, it's not his cache. It actually belongs to a 6,000 cache finder from Mississippi who threw down a micro for a cache that was missing for 10 months, and had an SBA log. :blink:

Yes, Team Eagle was out of caching for a while, I do not know the details but some of his caches fell into disrepair or were muggled, and a few were archived as a result. Others were tended by locals, and in this case it does appear it was replaced so the hider/finder could log a smiley. But in recent months he has gotten back in the saddle and has been actively doing maintanence on his caches where needed. This was indeed a "throw-down" but being as there was an active cache there, I suspect he didn't worry to re-replace it when he came back to caching.

On the issue of city police, I believe they would have no problem locating Team Eagle or the last finder if they wanted to. The news story I saw said they spoke to the last finder via telephone. If the press can do it, I suspect the cops can as well.

In the end, the meddlesome-muggle got her 2 minutes of fame, the property owners were displeased but not angry, and our quiet town's special situation officers got some real-life training.

The caching name would lead to the owner of the cache no? did the cache owner hide? try to hide his or her identity?

You say you aren't interested enough to track it down but you are interested to argue...

If "we can't locate the owner" is short hand for "there was nothing illegal about placing this cache" is your argument then say so.(I wish the police would let us in on their "short hand")

Stop hopping fences.

They either could or could not have found the owner.

I have nothing against the police. But they are no smarter than I and I make mistakes and do not know it all.

This seems totally unnecessary...

I mean, I know there's a caching name listed as the owner on the cache page... I'm not interested enough to actually go track it down.

You get the coordinates, either with a GPS, or approximate them using maps such as Google's. You use those coordinates to find nearby caches on geocaching.com. Bingo! Not exactly rocket surgery.

Sure, that gets you a caching name. I'm sure TPTB will even turn over whatever contact info that they have. But cache owners go missing all the time. A caching name and email address will get you in touch with an active cache owner; but do we know for a fact that the owner of THIS cache is active?

The cache was placed when the site was woods. The site is now heavily developed. This makes me think that the owner may be missing. That's all I was saying.

Updated to add: after reading the rest of the thread I see that the CO has been identified, and is an active cacher after being missing for a while.

(I only have 73 finds and I could show you at least six caches where it is not possible to locate the owner.)

Edited by GeoGeeBee