How Do You Protect Your Smart Phone While Geocaching

A thought occurred to me when answering a general question about using a smart phone while geocaching. Smart phones are becoming very much more poplular lately which means a lot of them when being used for geocaching is being exposed to the outdoors. The very thing that kills smart phones (moisture, dirt, impact, etc.) yet we use them sometimes even more than our GPSr units.

My questions:

Do you do anything to protect your smart phone when geocaching?

Do you carry phone insurance because you intend on using it more outside and if something does happen the insurance will cover it?

Any helpful tips, tricks or techniques you use that would be helpful to others in regards to the applications or use of your smart phone while geocaching?

Which smart phone do you use for geocaching and how much?

Thanks as always!

-HHH :D

recently just purchased a Droid and service is thru Verizon

I did purchase insurance, it has protective screen vinyl

and out side cover as well

so far I have only used it for urban caches and I have very

careful with it

if I use it for other than an urban I use to get coords and then

load them into 60csx, phone stays in pack or pocket

awesome phone so far

I am currently using [reference to unauthorized application removed by moderator] and am playing around with GEOBEAGLE

looking forward to when Groundspeak releases new GC app for Droid

I hear it isnt too far away

Edited by Keystone

Good questions, HHH. :blink:

Do you do anything to protect your smart phone when geocaching? Yes, I have an Otterbox Defender case.

Do you carry phone insurance because you intend on using it more outside and if something does happen the insurance will cover it? I have Apple Care, but no other additional insurance.

Any helpful tips, tricks or techniques you use that would be helpful to others in regards to the applications or use of your smart phone while geocaching? I don't really have any tips or techniques that aren't already being utilized by others.

Which smart phone do you use for geocaching and how much? I have the Apple iPhone 3g, and I use it about 50% of the time in conjunction with my regular GPS. Depend somewhat on whether I am caching alone or with my better half.

I have an Otter Box protecting my phone

Do you carry phone insurance because you intend on using it more outside and if something does happen the insurance will cover it?

No insurance, unless it's stolen.

Any helpful tips, tricks or techniques you use that would be helpful to others in regards to the applications or use of your smart phone while geocaching?

Keep it charged, even obsessively.

Apple iPhone 3G - use it continually. Used to use it for field notes, but now have an Oregon that I just received.

ZAGG screen protector and basich holster (sofar)

I do carry insurance on my phone. Just incase something happens I cant afford to take a $600 hit to just go get a replacment

I use Black Star, Bolt Browser. I keep a Lock N Lock in my Back pack if it is raining or if I am going around places with lots of water around that may pose a risk of falling into I put my phone and Wallet in it.

I have the Blackberry Tour 9630, I use it very little for caching mainly for When I am at work and something new comes in. It is my primary for recieving alerts of new cache postings.

I put my Blackberry in a DryPak

Yes I do and yes it will

I use CacheBerry for paperless caching. If I'm going to be out of range of data and need offline maps, I use TrekBuddy and make maps with GoogleAK.

If I'm doing caches in the back country, I keep it plugged into the car charger while driving to the cache location/trail head, then I hook it up to a solar charger that's clipped to my pack. I also just ordered a AA battery charger to keep in my pack for just in case. I really really hate running out of juice. Can you tell? :blink:

Blackberry Storm. It was $100 with my "New Every 2" Plan with Verizon

Edited by nericksx

A thought occurred to me when answering a general question about using a smart phone while geocaching. Smart phones are becoming very much more poplular lately which means a lot of them when being used for geocaching is being exposed to the outdoors. The very thing that kills smart phones (moisture, dirt, impact, etc.) yet we use them sometimes even more than our GPSr units.

My questions:

Thanks as always!

-HHH :blink:

I have been using my HTC Touch (Vogue) for my GPSr for over a year. My protection stratagy is to put a silicon skin on it, always use a lanyard, and replace the screen protector at regular intervals. As for rain, I have just kept it protected under my coat, and use my body to protect it when actualy viewing the display.

Check out my How To on using a smart phone as a back country GPS

Otterbox Defender Case

Only the basic Apple iCare

Make sure to run your PQ's prior to heading out and to save any info that you need if you are out of reception.

Apple iPhone, only when I am out and about and I am wondering if there is a cache near by. I used to use it for paperless caching prior to getting the PN-40. Now I use it just to make sure there hasn't been any change to the cache I am looking for if I can't locate it.

Not anything different than normally carrying it around. I have it in a Body Glove case with protector on the touchscreen, and I have all that in a leather holster clipped to a belt loop in front.

No insurance on the phone. I've had too many acquaintances have problems with insurance on their phones, mainly because they called breaking a phone "abuse". Go figure.

I own a Sprint Hero, running the Android operating system. Therefore, I have access to all the Android Geocaching applications. [reference to unauthorized application removed by moderator]

Edited by Keystone

If it looks like rain I'll put a little zip lock sandwich bag in my pocket for the iPhone. They are not supposed to take moisture very well so that's my insurance.

I have a hip holster, as well as a screen protector, and a leather case. I always have a Ziplock, just in case. Just recently.. I seen an utube video, that showed how to make a case from an old cd frame, duct tape, and ziploc. So am getting ready to make me one of them.

I've got my savings, with a "New Iphone Fund" , so if it goes kaput, well I'll just go get a new one!

1. Jailbreak

2. Carry a portable power source.

3. Obsessively charge, at the car, charge it, At a cache less than 200', keep the phone in the car, charging, any spare moment charge it, keep it charged!

Fav Apps

I love GC Pal, a great app, have used it to keep track of my hides, multis, and even if the GS app is down, can still use it to get cache listings.

Facemap, perfect to post to facebook your location.

Gowalla.... Love this app, similar to geocaching in so many ways. Only it's environmentally safe, And you can create a cache (Known as a spot) any where you want. Great for thos spots where a cache just can not be placed, well check it out, a good app all the same.

WAZE.. a gps, user map generator. Maps are generated by user generated input, and the GPS is like a car mounted NUVI, a cool app.

Well have many more, but will add them to a post I have not been to in a while, m\y app review page.

Great questions HHH, still waiting for the first episode of Treaurecache? Not fond of the name, but will see!

If it looks like rain I'll put a little zip lock sandwich bag in my pocket for the iPhone. They are not supposed to take moisture very well so that's my insurance.

I have a hip holster, as well as a screen protector, and a leather case. I always have a Ziplock, just in case. Just recently.. I seen an utube video, that showed how to make a case from an old cd frame, duct tape, and ziploc. So am getting ready to make me one of them.

I've got my savings, with a "New Iphone Fund" , so if it goes kaput, well I'll just go get a new one!

1. Jailbreak

2. Carry a portable power source.

3. Obsessively charge, at the car, charge it, At a cache less than 200', keep the phone in the car, charging, any spare moment charge it, keep it charged!

Fav Apps

I love GC Pal, a great app, have used it to keep track of my hides, multis, and even if the GS app is down, can still use it to get cache listings.

Facemap, perfect to post to facebook your location.

Gowalla.... Love this app, similar to geocaching in so many ways. Only it's environmentally safe, And you can create a cache (Known as a spot) any where you want. Great for thos spots where a cache just can not be placed, well check it out, a good app all the same.

WAZE.. a gps, user map generator. Maps are generated by user generated input, and the GPS is like a car mounted NUVI, a cool app.

Well have many more, but will add them to a post I have not been to in a while, m\y app review page.

Great questions HHH, still waiting for the first episode of Treaurecache? Not fond of the name, but will see!

"Do you do anything to protect your smart phone when geocaching?"

I use a real GPS to geocache. That protects my smart phone from being thrown or smashed when it's inevitably 30 metres off.

:blink:

WOW... mine is almost always within 10 meters. I suppose what I have read is true that some people just get crappy phones. Luck of the draw.

Not trying to argue with you but is your phone really that off?

Mine gets weird when in a treed area but for the most part it as accurate or more so than my GPSr

My questions:

Thanks as always!

-HHH :blink:

2 words OTTER BOX it is the only way to go have one for me iPhone & for my Blackberry Tour.,

Scubasonic

"Do you do anything to protect your smart phone when geocaching?"

I use a real GPS to geocache. That protects my smart phone from being thrown or smashed when it's inevitably 30 metres off.

:laughing:

WOW... mine is almost always within 10 meters. I suppose what I have read is true that some people just get crappy phones. Luck of the draw.

Not trying to argue with you but is your phone really that off?

Mine gets weird when in a treed area but for the most part it as accurate or more so than my GPSr

My BB Storm is almost always within about 10 feet. The only time it's off is in heavy tree cover, or next to a body of water because the signal bounces off the water.

If the terrain is such that I don't feel comfortable carrying my phone while walking, then my phone is in its padded case in my fanny pack, and I'm using my old yellow eTrex. I take the phone back out once I reach GZ, assuming that there's a safe spot to do so.

Otterbox Defender Case

Only the basic Apple iCare

I carry a Palmpilot and a GPSr so I dont have to take the celly out as much.

I'll add my endorsement for the Otterbox Defender case. I have dropped my phone on rock, concrete, mud and slush without my BlackBerry Curve getting damaged.

I do carry insurance but have never had to use it.

I'm so glad to hear your review of the Otterbox. I also have one for my Blackberry Curve. It is the only thing I use to cache with (using the geo navigator through trimble) unless we are in the mountains and I go back to me etrex. I love being paperless, having the ability to cache wherever and whenever and using the field notes.