Night cache safety question

Can I have cachers cross a main road at night, where there is no crossing?

There's not a huge amount of traffic - it's one lane in each direction. But it is still a road.

There are street lights.

When I cache (or just walk) at night, me and geodog wear reflective gear, so we are safe. I don't presume to think other ppl do this.

Opinions?

Can I have cachers cross a main road at night, where there is no crossing?

There's not a huge amount of traffic - it's one lane in each direction. But it is still a road.

There are street lights.

When I cache (or just walk) at night, me and geodog wear reflective gear, so we are safe. I don't presume to think other ppl do this.

Opinions?

I don't think it is a problem... Xaa said it clearly, only people without a clue can't figure out basic safety.

On the other hand, lots of safety minded people miss small details, especially when occupied doing something else. You mention using reflective gear, and being safe. Ever been involved in a near miss with a car with its headlights off (common). No light, no reflection, simple. That's why bikes require active lighting. There are lots of blinky and steady light markers for night use by pedestrians... but you are correct if you only consider yourself SAFER. You could always play safer by mentioning that a road crossing is needed to find the cache... you don't have to say where it is, but you might describe it as 2 lane and normal traffic loading... if high... But I wouldn't worry about that unless one might walk out onto it without knowing it.

Doug

I don't think it is a problem... Xaa said it clearly, only people without a clue can't figure out basic safety.

On the other hand, lots of safety minded people miss small details, especially when occupied doing something else. You mention using reflective gear, and being safe. Ever been involved in a near miss with a car with its headlights off (common). No light, no reflection, simple. That's why bikes require active lighting. There are lots of blinky and steady light markers for night use by pedestrians... but you are correct if you only consider yourself SAFER. You could always play safer by mentioning that a road crossing is needed to find the cache... you don't have to say where it is, but you might describe it as 2 lane and normal traffic loading... if high... But I wouldn't worry about that unless one might walk out onto it without knowing it.

Doug

Okay, thanks.

I had a cache where I said "may have to cross the creek several times," "slippery rocks at times" and "beware of the blackberry bushes".

I guess I just figure I didn't want people to be disappointed when they rock up in sandals and shorts. Or in this case black ninja clothing where they can't be seen. ...cos that's what I wear when caching at night :laughing: jk