cache logs growing mold

JL_HSTRE

Something I've come across repeatedly in my few months of caching is caches where the logs have gotten wet at some point and started growing mold. Being in south Florida probably makes it particular bad with humidity we frequently have and getting alot of rain.

Problem is the geocaching procedure is of course to sign the log to prove you visited the cache. But personally I prefer not to go touching stuff with mold on it or possibly breathing in mold spores. Especially since it is nearly always black mold.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Moldy logs, yes. The reluctance to sign them because they are moldy, no.

Mold spores are everywhere. They can cause allergic reactions and diseases in some people while most others are unaffected. If mold spores are going to be an issue with you, I'd be more concerned about the basement in my house than a 30 second interaction with a piece of moldy paper.

Sorry, gotta agree with Brian. The leaves that you found the cache sitting in were also moldy. Mold happens. Some molds are bad for us, some are very good for us, and some are indifferent. Most, if not all, are smelly. If that bothers you, then this is definitely NOT the right activity for you. Caching is not a clean sport.

Moldy logs, yes. The reluctance to sign them because they are moldy, no.

Mold spores are everywhere. They can cause allergic reactions and diseases in some people while most others are unaffected. If mold spores are going to be an issue with you, I'd be more concerned about the basement in my house than a 30 second interaction with a piece of moldy paper.

Most of the time I would agree with what you are saying but this time I have to disagree, to a point.

WET mold, believe it or not, is less likely to cause an allergic reaction but dry mold, where the spores are active, can debilitate a person who is allergic within minutes of a one breath exposure. I know this from experience.

I had purchased something off of Ebay that was OLD. When I got it, I opened it, noted a mildewey/moldy smell and closed it back up. Total exposure was less than 30 seconds. Two minutes later I was feeling a headache coming on fast (I don't suffer from migraines like that). 10 minutes after exposure I was in the middle of a headache of unusual proportions. Thirty minutes after exposure I was in bed asleep in the middle of the afternoon. It took a full week to recover properly.

I didn't know what caused me to get sick for a few months later when I opened up the item again and went through the exact same set of symptoms. It was confirmed by my doctor that I had an allergy to whatever brand of spore that was in that item.

But, for people who go geocaching, if they are allergic to the world or whateve is in it, be careful. Mold spores are a fact of life and you can't avoid them. They get into the paper from the area around the cache. They aren't born in the paper logsheet. You will encounter the mold spores no matter where you go.

Being in south Florida probably makes it particular bad with humidity we frequently have and getting alot of rain.

Actually, if you want "particular bad," go to Canada. The mold there is so virulent that they need to add an extra letter "U" just to spell it!

I am not making this up. I read it on the internets.

Actually, we spell it with a U because we hate Americans. B):D:drama::( Weren't you following the PVC cache thread last night?

Hey Joshism, I have sympathy for you! We've found several like you describe where the logbooks/paper look like a science experiment or preparations for some kind of B-grade movie. I never thought about Don King's hair but I will from now on - thanks Luckless! :D

It is part of the caching experience in the southeast so we just keep some hand sanitizer in our caching bag and try not to breathe in too deeply if it looks like the stuff can go airborne. If we have an extra log we'll add it, sign both logs and let the owner know the situation.

Something I've come across repeatedly in my few months of caching is caches where the logs have gotten wet at some point and started growing mold. Being in south Florida probably makes it particular bad with humidity we frequently have and getting alot of rain.

Problem is the geocaching procedure is of course to sign the log to prove you visited the cache. But personally I prefer not to go touching stuff with mold on it or possibly breathing in mold spores. Especially since it is nearly always black mold.

Does anyone else have this problem?

If mold is a problem for you, think of a solution. First thing that came to my mind was latex gloves and a mask; maybe a resporator if you are super sencitive (they run around $60 I think). Remember that there is a solution to every problem. Just think outside of the box you put yourself in.

Hey, maybe I should become a motovational speaker when I get layed off....

I guess I'm just a woosie cacher. If the log is a little mildewy, then that's to be expected here in the PacNW. If you can braid the logs hair? :blink: I ain't signin. I post the find and a NM. If the CO isn't fastidious enough to have used a decent container or to do maintenance, they aren't gonna bother to compare logs either.

Being in south Florida probably makes it particular bad with humidity we frequently have and getting alot of rain.

Actually, if you want "particular bad," go to Canada. The mold there is so virulent that they need to add an extra letter "U" just to spell it!

Actually, we spell it with a U because we hate Americans. :P:blink::P;) Weren't you following the PVC cache thread last night?

Huh!! I could have sworn that Canada was in America!

Let's see... what happy ( :blink: ) things has mold (and/or mould) done that we can be thankful for?

Blue and Gorgonzola Cheese

Penicillin

Compost

The Grateful Dead

The first two on your list could kill me

I don't know that compost has anything to do with mold, per se

and who are the grateful dead? (I once won tickets to their concert and sold them in an hour and a half).

Actually, we spell it with a U because we hate Americans. :P:blink::P;) Weren't you following the PVC cache thread last night?

You are just another province and Obama isn't President, he the Premier.

WOW...I read your thread and then one(s) saying to wear latex gloves? I think you all should just stay inside and watch TV. No mold there and nothing to damage your fragile body. Come on it's Geocaching...you go out on the trail, maybe get caught in a rainstorm, sprain your ankle, break some bones. If you are worried about mold (or the more potent Canadian version of mould) then maybe you should stick to Wall Mart parking lot caches or just reading about Geocaching exploits on the internet.

Maybe the PTB should start insisting that caches be sanitized every week. Give me a break. Get a backbone or get a new hobby.

Canada and the USA are both countries in North America. I believe that Mexico is also North America. And then we have Central America, and of course, South America. We are all Americans. Some Americans, but far from all, are citizens of the USA. Edited by knowschad

Let's see... what happy ( :blink: ) things has mold (and/or mould) done that we can be thankful for?

Blue and Gorgonzola Cheese

Penicillin

Compost

The Grateful Dead

The first two on your list could kill me

I don't know that compost has anything to do with mold, per se

and who are the grateful dead? (I once won tickets to their concert and sold them in an hour and a half).

Well, that could be more a problem with you than a problem with mold, couldn't it?

I have a deadly water allergy, I'm afraid. It was something that I was born with. Breathing in too much of it can cause respiratory failure, so I have learned over the years to avoid inhaling water. When I encounter it, if need be, I will hold my breath until such time that I am once again clear of it. I may be wrong, but I'm guessing that molds and moulds are somewhat similar.

Canada and the USA are both countries in North America. I believe that Mexico is also North America. And then we have Central America, and of course, South America. We are all Americans. Some Americans, but far from all, are citizens of the USA.

:blink:

What do you propose as the demonym for citizens of the country to the south? Amerks?

Canada and the USA are both countries in North America. I believe that Mexico is also North America. And then we have Central America, and of course, South America. We are all Americans. Some Americans, but far from all, are citizens of the USA.

:blink:

What do you propose as the demonym for citizens of the country to the south? Amerks?

Yankadians.

I would prefer Obama to our current leader.

woot!

:huh:

Short story, so old it is moldy.

Had a British buddy who constantly called me Yank. Several occasions I asked him to stop.

One day I became fed up, What the hell do you call an American from the south? A Con?

He proceeded to school me on being an U.S. citizen and that everyone in the new world was American and to him all U.S. citizens where Yanks and super patriots where addressed by him as such.

He asked me what I call you guys, I replied "Square staters". <--- none of that line is true :laughing:

I did research to prove him wrong and failed but he stopped calling me Yank.

I love the land and will defend it with my last breath, but the government is a mould that needs to be scraped off the bread basket. :D

State sider is neither insulting, informal or overly formal. ;)

Sssshhhh. We're sensitive about that.

Sorry I left a black mouldy taste in yer mouth. Next time I'll try to leave it at mold. :rolleyes:

---------------

I hold my breath if concerned, it can trigger an asthmatic reaction in me. Some days it takes more than others.

He proceeded to school me on being an U.S. citizen and that everyone in the new world was American

I heard an immigrant from Chile complaining once that to the locals "It's all Mexico, all the way down to Tierra del Fuego." It seems he had been called a Mexican a few times too many.

State sider is neither insulting, informal or overly formal. :laughing:

Let me get this right. You people (who live in the USA) would like everyone else to call you "State Siders"? That sounds ..... well, silly.

I would prefer Obama to our current leader.

Hey, did you hear Obama is using some of Palin's platform? Off shore drilling here we come! Should help the American's (opps, State Sider's) economy out, not sure about our's (Alberta's)...

Edited by Andronicus

Let me get this right. You people (who live in the USA) would like everyone else to call you "State Siders"? That sounds ..... well, silly.

No, not all, and the ones like me who don't like being called American can necessarily agree on what we are called.

Just like not every Robert Likes being called Bobby or Benjamin being called Ben, or John getting called Jack.

I find that "State Sider/s" is the most accurate demonym for U.S. citizens that fit the following criteria...

Not insulting.

Not overly formal.

Not informal.

Quickly spoken.

Most people who know our countries name, wont need to be told who is being referred to.

I know I'm not going to change everyone, but if I remove the ignorance from 1 person and they in turn do the same till we are a dead country, so much the better.

It's inconsequential, it doesn't matter, but to me it is just like calling 18 ounces a pennyweight, almost right but not quite. :laughing:

Boy, has this thread ever veered off topic! Anyway... to answer the question asked of me... we are Americans, and I am proud to be called one. I'm just saying that we are not the only Americans.

Back on topic... has anybody ever heard of a cacher getting ill over moldy (or mouldy) cache logs?

Technically we are, but we don't always like to acknowledge it. :rolleyes:

We're the ones stomping on the ceiling and hollering for you guys to keep it down. We have to work in the morning.

Back on topic - some strains of mould can be lethal to some people. I have had some experience with the symptoms of mould inhalation. I had an old Chevy van a few years back that had a mould problem and every time I got in the darn thing I would get flu-like symptoms. Even after tearing all the carpets and headliner out, it was all up in the heating system too. I didn't have it long, let's put it that way.

For what it's worth, after feeling the effects of mould personally, I actually hold my breath while I handle mouldy log sheets, and yes, they are everywhere. It's a fact of Geocaching just like muddy pants up to the knees. :laughing:

If you're worried about it, take precautions as noted above. Being sick from mould is no fun.

WOW, this is like stepping into a vortex of some sort.

The thread title talks of mold but the content is all about who is, or is not, an American.

Weird

On the topic of mold. It's not usually the touching of the mold that gets you as much as the ingesting of it. Either by inhaling the spores or eating something that is moldy. I suppose wet, moldy, cache logs are potentially dangerous if you handle them and then lick your fingers but that is a small dose of mold at that point.

Do the Brits/Canuks also use the "u" when they are are using term to describe a form?

In simpler terms...

Do you guys have Jello Moulds?

Oh, they will add a "u" just about anywhere there is an "o". I'm surprised they don't spell it "fourm"

It's not like in the States where we have to BUY our vowels.

:laughing:

Do the Brits/Canuks also use the "u" when they are are using term to describe a form?

In simpler terms...

Oh, they will add a "u" just about anywhere there is an "o". I'm surprised they don't spell it "fourm"

It's not like in the States where we have to BUY our vowels.

:laughing:

Would that then be Jellou Moulds? Or is that too French? Nevermind, the French wouldn't be caught dead within a kiloumetere of Jellou. :rolleyes:

Michigan is pretty damp too, more problems with soggy log books and damp and rusty swag, I haven't seen any mold yet. Now, ICE inside of a cache I have seen.

Trust me, you will see mold. Go to Howell and start checking LPCs on grand river.

And if you're some place between Port Huron and Detroit you might see that invasive mould species. :laughing:

In simpler terms...

Canadian spelling isn't always the same as British spelling. Americans (i.e. citizens of the U.S.A.) notice the British variants, Brits notice the American variants and the archaic forms.

The correct Canadian spelling is mould for both meanings. It's not uncommon to see the American spelling creep in (someone pointed out Canadian "mold" removal companies, for instance), but, strictly speaking, it's not the correct Canadian spelling.

If one of my students spelled it "mold" in a paper I was grading, they'd hear about it. If I saw it on a truck going by, I might roll my eyes.