What's it like to set a New World Record with the Ventura Kids and f0t0m0m?

Cachepal

If I had to sum up the entire 24-hour, 566 finds experience in one word, it would be: EXHILARATING!

Exciting, awesome, scary, nerve-wracking, focused, bonding, breath-taking, inspiring, tedious, repetitive, victorious, unforgettable -- and fun.

I was blown away when Ventura Kid Steve invited me to take part in this adventure. It wasn't exactly on my "bucket list," but it was definitely an offer I couldn't refuse. Who wouldn't want to go on a major caching expedition with three of the greatest, most experienced cachers on earth -- all of whom who were dead serious about trying to set a new record for the most finds in 24 hours. I can't describe how much planning, routing and mapping the VK's and f0t0m0m did to prepare for this trek -- it reminded me of a military maneuver!

I immediately decided that my job was to do all I could to maintain the fast pace, and to do nothing that might waste time. Practically speaking, that meant that I had two things to do: help locate the caches, and then either (1) to extract the log from the container and race back to the car; or (2) to slap a sticker onto the log-sheet and race back to the car. Once we found our rhythm, got a pattern going, and were humming along like a well-oiled machine, the camaraderie and the teamwork had a transforming effect: the 4 of us became as one. It was extraordinary.

Let me tell you though, folks, it was not at all a walk in the park. There were pitfalls aplenty, from terrain that was very tough even for a 4-wheel drive vehicle, to Ventura Kid Sandy falling hard on her ankle at the end of a steep descent and being sidelined in our 12th hour. Sandy later said that even if it had been broken, she wouldn't have let us stop!

So we just hung in there and stopped for nothing except gas - twice. We ate in shifts as we continued to roll, and peed in the desert or when we stopped for gas. We wasted almost no time on DNF’s – just moved on. The weather was perfect for what we were doing, and we just wouldn’t let anything slow us down.

I must mention one more thing, the most important one of all: in addition to many the factors that contributed to our success - the talent, the toughness and the indefatigable single-mindedness - here was our secret ingredient: laughter, high spirits, and a light-hearted sense of humor which never flagged for one minute - not in the 11th hour, not in the 23rd hour (although as I recall, Steve did get a mite testy in the 17th hour!) Even when it became an ordeal, it was always fun.

My deepest thanks to my 3 teammates for giving me the adventure of a lifetime.

Next time (if there is a next time), consider bringing extra vehicles (fueled up, of course) and dropping them at locations near where you would likely be running low on fuel.

A bit off-topic, but I have to add: I haven't spoken to him about it yet, but I noticed that my friend, Bobcam logged 235 caches in a day in Texas this past week (3/26), as far as I know, he was all by himself, and if you pick any cache at random, you will see a short, but unique log. Not a record, but pretty awesome anyway.

If I had to sum up the entire 24-hour, 566 finds experience in one word, it would be: EXHILARATING!

Exciting, awesome, scary, nerve-wracking, focused, bonding, breath-taking, inspiring, tedious, repetitive, victorious, unforgettable -- and fun.

I was blown away when Ventura Kid Steve invited me to take part in this adventure. It wasn't exactly on my "bucket list," but it was definitely an offer I couldn't refuse. Who wouldn't want to go on a major caching expedition with three of the greatest, most experienced cachers on earth -- all of whom who were dead serious about trying to set a new record for the most finds in 24 hours. I can't describe how much planning, routing and mapping the VK's and f0t0m0m did to prepare for this trek -- it reminded me of a military maneuver!

I immediately decided that my job was to do all I could to maintain the fast pace, and to do nothing that might waste time. Practically speaking, that meant that I had two things to do: help locate the caches, and then either (1) to extract the log from the container and race back to the car; or (2) to slap a sticker onto the log-sheet and race back to the car. Once we found our rhythm, got a pattern going, and were humming along like a well-oiled machine, the camaraderie and the teamwork had a transforming effect: the 4 of us became as one. It was extraordinary.

Let me tell you though, folks, it was not at all a walk in the park. There were pitfalls aplenty, from terrain that was very tough even for a 4-wheel drive vehicle, to Ventura Kid Sandy falling hard on her ankle at the end of a steep descent and being sidelined in our 12th hour. Sandy later said that even if it had been broken, she wouldn't have let us stop!

So we just hung in there and stopped for nothing except gas - twice. We ate in shifts as we continued to roll, and peed in the desert or when we stopped for gas. We wasted almost no time on DNF’s – just moved on. The weather was perfect for what we were doing, and we just wouldn’t let anything slow us down.

I must mention one more thing, the most important one of all: in addition to many the factors that contributed to our success - the talent, the toughness and the indefatigable single-mindedness - here was our secret ingredient: laughter, high spirits, and a light-hearted sense of humor which never flagged for one minute - not in the 11th hour, not in the 23rd hour (although as I recall, Steve did get a mite testy in the 17th hour!) Even when it became an ordeal, it was always fun.

My deepest thanks to my 3 teammates for giving me the adventure of a lifetime.

I wondered why that power trail was done like that. Now I see. :D What kind of car were you driving that you had to fill up twice going such a short distance? Congrats I reckon.

What kind of car were you driving that you had to fill up twice going such a short distance?

Except for the fillups, the vehicle was probably running the whole time. :blink:

This made me wonder also... I am a courier and drive at least 200 kms a day... I leave my car running all day (cheaper than replacing starters)

I go through about $20 gas a day which is about 18 litres. my tank (which is small) holds 50 litres.

If I had to fill up my small gas tank twice in 24 hours I would be looking for a leak in the tank.

Makes no sense...

But hey... congrats on finding 100+ per person a day.

What kind of car were you driving that you had to fill up twice going such a short distance?

Except for the fillups, the vehicle was probably running the whole time. :laughing:

This made me wonder also... I am a courier and drive at least 200 kms a day... I leave my car running all day (cheaper than replacing starters)

I go through about $20 gas a day which is about 18 litres. my tank (which is small) holds 50 litres.

If I had to fill up my small gas tank twice in 24 hours I would be looking for a leak in the tank.

Makes no sense...

On the kind of road they drove, and in a gas guzzling 4wd...they may only be getting 8-12 MPG. The end to end length of the Trail of the Gods id about 70 miles, and there's not a straight line. I saw one estimate that the driving distance would be about 3 times the length. 200+miles. I'd sure love to see more details on things like that. what was the total distance on the odometer, how many gallons of fuel, Etc.

Except for the fillups, the vehicle was probably running the whole time. :rolleyes:

Makes no sense...

On the kind of road they drove, and in a gas guzzling 4wd...they may only be getting 8-12 MPG. The end to end length of the Trail of the Gods id about 70 miles, and there's not a straight line. I saw one estimate that the driving distance would be about 3 times the length. 200+miles. I'd sure love to see more details on things like that. what was the total distance on the odometer, how many gallons of fuel, Etc.

Hmmm.....interesting. So there is no gas station close to these? So 2 trips for gas, bathroom breaks, traveling to the cache itself, putting stickers on the logs....etc. So each of the hides took what, 30 seconds to find? Hmmm.....where is the challenge in that? Where they just laying out there in the open? Or was a little pre-hunt done before to find them, then on record day, just go back and put stickers on the logs? Or more likely, was each person hunting separate caches and everyone putting their sticker on? In which case, someone could get a group of say 566 people and bust this "record" in less than an hour. :laughing: Sounding more and more like a feat of endurance than a challenge.

Sounds like an awesome adventure - that is why this was built. It sounds like it the trail isn't long enough though. (if you went South to North, you could have finished up on the Trail of Fears.

Next time (if there is a next time), consider bringing extra vehicles (fueled up, of course) and dropping them at locations near where you would likely be running low on fuel.

A bit off-topic, but I have to add: I haven't spoken to him about it yet, but I noticed that my friend, Bobcam logged 235 caches in a day in Texas this past week (3/26), as far as I know, he was all by himself, and if you pick any cache at random, you will see a short, but unique log. Not a record, but pretty awesome anyway.

The extra vehicles is a good idea. Or just fuel cans stashed along the way?

235 caches in a day is highly commendable and could be a record. To do find, navigate, search, research, and everything all by yourself is no easy feat.

I think the record could easily be topped by someone alone on a motorcycle. Still I'm sure you guys had a blast. Congrats!

I disagree - it takes time to drop the kickstand. When working as a team, one drives while the other(s) read the next cache and/or look at sat pic etc (this route is NOT a straight line). Folks haven't mentioned yet but the terrain/difficulty/cache size/hints will give distinct clues as to what to expect at a cache location. The caches are 85% the same. Its the other 15% that will catch you off guard.

Except for the fillups, the vehicle was probably running the whole time. :rolleyes:

As mentioned, it is not a straight line. There are turns, obstacles, rocks, sand, dead end roads ou need to back out of, and your foot is constantly working the gas pedal. That will cut your gas mileage in half (or worse).

I've never done a power trail, but it sounds kind of boring to me. But hey, glad you thought it was an adventure.

Not all caches are placed to cater to everyone's needs. These caches were placed for these people and others with similar styles. We have other caches that we know you will enjoy. Pick you style. What are you looking for?

Except for the fillups, the vehicle was probably running the whole time. :D

Makes no sense...

Hmmm.....interesting. So there is no gas station close to these? So 2 trips for gas, bathroom breaks, traveling to the cache itself, putting stickers on the logs....etc. So each of the hides took what, 30 seconds to find? Hmmm.....where is the challenge in that? Where they just laying out there in the open? Or was a little pre-hunt done before to find them, then on record day, just go back and put stickers on the logs? Or more likely, was each person hunting separate caches and everyone putting their sticker on? In which case, someone could get a group of say 566 people and bust this "record" in less than an hour. :laughing:Sounding more and more like a feat of endurance than a challenge.

One vehicle. It's tough to split up when you have only one vehicle. Please read (and understand) the reports before you poke non-exisitant holes in it. If you want proof, ask for a track log or something. If there were a prize other than bragging rights at stake, there would be more rules and proof requirements.

A feat of endurance is a challenge. Just ask any marathon runner.

If folks look closely at the route, the caches average about .2 miles apart length wise and 600-700 feet apart widthwise. Yes some are a bit closer, but many are further apart.

Edited by NGA

I disagree - it takes time to drop the kickstand. When working as a team, one drives while the other(s) read the next cache and/or look at sat pic etc (this route is NOT a straight line). Folks haven't mentioned yet but the terrain/difficulty/cache size/hints will give distinct clues as to what to expect at a cache location. The caches are 85% the same. Its the other 15% that will catch you off guard.

Does this mean that the entire team did not get out of the vehicle and find the cache in this "record attempt?"

You mentioned spending no time on DNFs, just moved on. How many DNFs did you have?

And as mentioned in the Ventura Kids' thread, Congradulations. Sounds like fun. I only found 1 cache on 26 March, 2010, but still had fun, but probably not as much as you!

I wonder if that is an "individual record" as opposed to the record that is the topic of this thread which would be a "team record". Anyone know off hand what the "individual record" is?

This isn't a style of caching that appeals to me... my theoretical limit is about 10 a day (I say theoretical because I only have a few more than 40 finds, so it's not like I've tried this sort of thing.) But I have a lot of respect for the VKs and f0t0m0m's Panorama series are among my favorite local caches. It's good to see some names I actually recognize from caching.

Does this mean that the entire team did not get out of the vehicle and find the cache in this "record attempt?"

No...

It means that it takes time to put a kickstand down.

It means that when driving from one cache to the next, the driver can drive, the navigator can navigate, and the folks in the back seat can read the cache page.

It means that all the caches are not exactly the same hide.

It means that the caches are not in a straight line.

Not sure where you got "not everyone got out of the car at every cache" from that.

Edited by NGA

No...

It means that when driving from one cache to the next, the driver can drive, the navigator can navigate, and the folks in the back seat can read the cache page.

Not sure where you got "not everyone got out of the car at every cache" from that.

So they all got out of the car at every cache? I thought someone was always in the driver's seat and kept the car running so time wasn't wasted starting up the car. Also, no one physically signs the log, right? They use a team sticker, right?

No...

So they all got out of the car at every cache? I thought someone was always in the driver's seat and kept the car running so time wasn't wasted starting up the car. Also, no one physically signs the log, right? They use a team sticker, right?

I have no idea if they did or not. I was not there.

I did say that it takes time to put a kickstand down.

I did say that when driving from one cache to the next, the driver can drive, the navigator can navigate, and the folks in the back seat can read the cache page.

I did say that all the caches are not exactly the same hide.

I did say that the caches are not in a straight line.

I did not say anything about whether or not anybody or everybody got out of the car. Please do not add non-existant facts to my what I said.

There are people use team stickers and stamps for their teams on a routine basis, even when targeting a single cache on a long hike. As a cache owner, I will allow team stickers on the log page. Period. If you want to create a set of rules to the "number of caches in a day", then please start a thread and describe them. As much as folks may nit-pick at it, I see nothing in this thread that give me any reason to not believe they have made one heck of an accomplishment.

Edited by NGA

I did say that when driving from one cache to the next, the driver can drive, the navigator can navigate, and the folks in the back seat can read the cache page.

What the heck are you driving? You have a vehicle with at least four people in it (driver, navigator, and plural "folks in the back seat") and it has a kickstand?

What the heck are you driving? You have a vehicle with at least four people in it (driver, navigator, and plural "folks in the back seat") and it has a kickstand?

Maybe a tuk-tuk.

No...

There are people use team stickers and stamps for their teams on a routine basis, even when targeting a single cache on a long hike. As a cache owner, I will allow team stickers on the log page. Period. If you want to create a set of rules to the "number of caches in a day", then please start a thread and describe them. As much as folks may nit-pick at it, I see nothing in this thread that give me any reason to not believe they have made one heck of an accomplishment.

Well then, I hope the OP will let us know just how they performed their "record breaking" feat.

• Did everyone on the team visit the cache?
  • Did they all sign the log in the cache?
  • Did they use a previously signed sticker?
  • Did they adhere a team sticker to the cache itself without opening the cache
  • If they opened the cache - did they adhere a team sticker to the cover or back of the cache or did they open the logbook to the appropriate next empty page in the logbook and adhere the sticker?
  • Did anyone in the team also hide any of the caches?

If people are going to claim a "record" shouldn't there be some guidelines for bragging rights? What criteria does the caching community in general feel constitutes a "world record"? Me, I would expect that the "rules" would be the same for a team as for an individual - you each sign the log, in your own hand, to constitute a find. Stickers are fine for everyday "non-competitive" caching but if you're not going to publicly claim a world record, I think there should be something more substantial and verifiable.

No...

Well then, I hope the OP will let us know just how they performed their "record breaking" feat.

• If they opened the cache - did they adhere a team sticker to the cover or back of the cache or did they open the logbook to the appropriate next empty page in the logbook and adhere the sticker?

If people are going to claim a "record" shouldn't there be some guidelines for bragging rights? What criteria does the caching community in general feel constitutes a "world record"? Me, I would expect that the "rules" would be the same for a team as for an individual - you each sign the log, in your own hand, to constitute a find. Stickers are fine for everyday "non-competitive" caching but if you're not going to publicly claim a world record, I think there should be something more substantial and verifiable.

If people would read the posts, they would know the answers to their questions. I think it was the Ventura_Kids thread where they stated that everyone got out at every cache (exept for one who broke her foot half way through). Does it realy matter if they all got out? Getting out and running over to where the hunters found the cache doen't realy make a difference to me. And as for loosing time starting the car, I think the area is secluded enough that they probably didn't need to turn the car off. And I think this was stated in the other thread already. They said the only turned the car off when gassing up (two times)..

I think we all can recognise that this was an amazing acomplishment. I don't get all the "wet blankets" around here. You know if you stay wet too long you will start growing mold.

I think it was the Ventura_Kids thread where they stated that everyone got out at every cache (exept for one who broke her foot half way through). Does it realy matter if they all got out?

Yes, if they're going to claim a record then I think it does matter that each of them signs the log. They can run back to the car to have the cacher with the broken foot sign it, then run it back to the cache. Or they can call it quits when part of the team is injured and can no longer compete.

Edited by Lone R

Here is a point by point answer guide to your questions based on responses for the Ventrua Kids and this OP

• Did everyone on the team visit the cache? Yes
  • Did they all sign the log in the cache? Kind of, they used team stickers
  • Did they use a previously signed sticker? Yes
  • Did they adhere a team sticker to the cache itself without opening the cache? Bassed on this post, the answer is All stickers were in the log book
  • If they opened the cache - did they adhere a team sticker to the cover or back of the cache or did they open the logbook to the appropriate next empty page in the logbook and adhere the sticker? See previous post. Maybe they put the sticker on the back or front of the log book , but I am sure it was the log book.
  • Did anyone in the team also hide any of the caches? They are not from the area, so very unlikely.

Edited by Andronicus

Here is a point by point answer guide to your questions based on responses for the Ventrua Kids and Cachepal

• Did they adhere a team sticker to the cache itself without opening the cache?

help locate the caches, and then either (1) to extract the log from the container and race back to the car; or (2) to slap a sticker onto the log-sheet and race back to the car.

Bassed on this quost from Cachepal in the OP, they used the log book.

• If they opened the cache - did they adhere a team sticker to the cover or back of the cache or did they open the logbook to the appropriate next empty page in the logbook and adhere the sticker? See privious answer.
  • Did anyone in the team also hide any of the caches? They are not from the area, so very unlikely.

Edited by Andronicus

Here is a point by point answer guide to your questions based on responses for the Ventrua Kids and this OP

• Did they adhere a team sticker to the cache itself without opening the cache? I think this is a silly question, they are geocachers, so it is unlikely they attached stickers to the cache. Infact this OP stated that he was usualy the "Open the cache" guy. This suggests that they opened the cache and put the sticker on the log book.
  • If they opened the cache - did they adhere a team sticker to the cover or back of the cache or did they open the logbook to the appropriate next empty page in the logbook and adhere the sticker? See previous post. Maybe they put the sticker on the back or front of the log book , but I am sure it was the log book.

OK, sounds legit. But I still think to claim a record, stickers should not be used. Also, it would be better if the OP answered the questions.

What criteria does the caching community in general feel constitutes a "world record"?

I'm just a newb. But I think it's safe to say that the caching community in general just doesn't care very much one way or the other.

It's not like they proved the Poincaré conjecture. There's no million dollar prize on the line here. If they want to claim a world record, good for them.

• Did they adhere a team sticker to the cache itself without opening the cache? I think this is a silly question, they are geocachers, so it is unlikely they attached stickers to the cache. Infact this OP stated that he was usualy the "Open the cache" guy. This suggests that they opened the cache and put the sticker on the log book.

OK, sounds legit. But I still think to claim a record, stickers should not be used. Also, it would be better if the OP answered the questions.

I edited my rebuttle so it is a little better. Actualy, "They" did answer the questions. All the info in my response was posted in either this thread, or the Ventura_Kids thread.

If they hadn't used stickers, the theoretical maximum would be significantly below 566. You would probably have to add close to 1 min per find, bringign the per find time up from 2.5 min to 3.5 min, ending up with 411 as a maximum. I see stickers in caches all the time from people who are not trying to make any records.

Edited by Andronicus

Stickers... standard practice in the US for team cachers and power cachers, for years. I should know, I've known top 10 cachers for years. If the label is correctly sized, it should take up less logsheet linear space than multiple inked names and dates in usually larger handwriting. Saves the C/O on maint intervals, but can thicken and clog the logsheet too.

Real data on TotG logsheets:

Three strips of paper, larger than film can sheets, stapled once. Currently, most containers are Eclipse mint tins with an unfortunate inner rolled lip that catches the rolled or folded paper. Forceps or pliers can be helpful, tweezers less so. Unfortunately the 3 sheets are too much for the tin size, and it takes some time to work the folded roll.

Record guidelines:

Refer to previous efforts... the VK etal at Colorado, GeoPirat German teams at several GeoWoodstocks, the Danish effort.

As a power cacher myself, I recognize the most important guideline they offered is single vehicle-- this locks out any leapfrogging of multiple vehicles. All other guidelines have less inflationary impact. All.

As a 400-finder on TotG 2 weeks prior, congrats and kudos to the VK/ Fotomom/ Cachepal effort. We saw 500 was obtainable, and suspected their efficient and practiced group would do it.

Edited by bthomas

Thanks Cachepal !!!! :)

We had a great time out there also. :huh:

24 hour runs are not for the weak at heart. :sad:

There are many Team-y process that occur as the time progresses.

I remember thinking that all the other teams must have cheated.... did they hopscotch?, did they split up?, did they really log their names in the logsheets?...

I remember thinking we were gonna fail, and it was gonna be all my fault for skipping too many caches along the way (they were scary, dangerous, and potentially deadly).

I remember having a panic attack in the 17th hour when Sandy fell and busted her foot (swelling and purple, she decided to continue the run).

I had to slow down, and get out and walk around a couple of times to wind down ( I used a flashlight to determine safe turning areas).

The exhileration of passing the current record of 504 was very positive, and gave us a boost of energy near the end of the run.

The sun rising gave us more visibility of the road conditions, and increased our speed immensely.

By the end of the run, we were singing, laughing, and back to our normal crazy selves.

Thanks again to Cachepal and Fotomom for helping us find 566 geocaches in one day.

:D

Well, in this case they are establishing the record, and therefore establishing the method for measuring it. Anyone who wishes to break the record should get all the details on how it was established, and then duplicate the conditions.

The record setters used stickers, so any record breaking attempts should also use stickers.

The record setters started with a team of four, so any record breaking attempts should start with a team of four.

The record setters used one vehicle, so any record breaking attempts should use one vehicle.

These kinds of standards should be discussed and decided in ofder for there to be a true record. Should that be done in a different thread?

I've tried to create some sort of 'fair' guidelines for power runs... for ourselves.

Feel free to create a thread if you'd like. I'll certainly input my opinions.

Basically....when we do any power runs, we try to make our run 'Reasonably Fair'.

That's part of the fun. It's a competition with ourselves.

I've seen runs where the finders split up.

I've seen runs where the finders log caches that they don't actually find.

I've seen runs where the finders PRE-run the planned cache list.

We don't.

I'm sure there are many methods and opinions regarding How to do a power run.

Since we love to do them, we tend to stay away from the 'cheat' side, and more towards the 'fair' side.

So if you have a power run planned....let us know. We would love to zoom along with you! :P

Whoops.... I'm certainly off topic for this thread now....

so....um..... if you go on a run with us..... be prepared for a crazy fun time.

There....now I'm on topic. ..... lol :laughing:

Stickers are fine for everyday "non-competitive" caching but if you're not going to publicly claim a world record, I think there should be something more substantial and verifiable.

Well, that doesn't make very much sense. If it's fine for everyday use, then why isn't it fine here?

If they did one cache that day, and used a sticker, that would be fine, but 566 isn't? :laughing:

Stickers are fine for everyday "non-competitive" caching but if you're not going to publicly claim a world record, I think there should be something more substantial and verifiable.

Well, that doesn't make very much sense. If it's fine for everyday use, then why isn't it fine here?

If they did one cache that day, and used a sticker, that would be fine, but 566 isn't? :laughing:

It's a competition, so I assume it requires more proof then a non-competitive visit. A sticker only tells us that one person in the team adhered the sticker to the logbook - the rest of the team could be waiting back at the car. If the "rules" allow a team visit if just one person to visits the cache, then the sticker is enough proof. But if everyone in the team must visit the cache, then each of them should sign the logbook to prove that all 4 (or however many on the team) got out of the car, walked to the cache and signed the logbook.

..A sticker only tells us that one person in the team adhered the sticker to the logbook - the rest of the team could be waiting back at the car.

Actually, it said nothing like that. I see nothing that indicates where the cachers were at that instant. Maybe they were in Egypt? Maybe you could start that rumor?

I think it's ridiculous that instead of supporting our geocaching peers and enjoying their victory with them, we try to make them feel like their success wasn't all it should have been. I'm thinking now that if I'm proud of finally finding 20 in a day (which my hubby & I did for the first time this week) this is the LAST place I would share my fun, for fear that by the time the thread was done I'd feel lower than pond scum because I didn't meet people's expectations.

I want to congratulate your team on a SERIOUS accomplishment!!! I wear out after just a few hours, so at this point I couldn't imagine doing 24 hours! (I don't even geocache in twilight yet, let alone the darkness of midnight.) I'm glad you had a great time, I feel like you have every right to enjoy your success and this forum 'should be' the exact place to celebrate! Congrats on breaking the record, and thank you for sharing your success story with us! I, for one, thoroughly enjoyed 'vicariously' caching with you through your post! :laughing:

Well said!

I've added my kudos and additional comments in the other 566 Record thread. This thread is about the experience of caching 24 hours straight, and setting a 500+ cache milestone.

There's the feeling of starting at the darkness of midnight, and the wondering if the group is up to task to navigate to and find 20 caches per hour, hour after hour after hour. There's the confusion of wondering what is beyond the 200 feet of headlight beam, and which jeep road, service spur, and burro track leads to the cache. There's Orion laying against the dark western horizon, as if asleep. During the night the Big Dipper swings from standing on handle, to pouring it's contents near dawn. Vegas casts a glow in the east, but at some point the eastern sky turns dusty rose. It's cold on the night desert floor, but maybe the eyes of an active coyote reflect red and dance just beyond your headlamp. The crescent moon breaks a black skyline, and that's cool. The sun soon follows with the hint of the warmth of day, and everyone takes off the headlamp, and the GPS screen changes from night colors. You think, wow, we got 100 caches before sun up.

In daylight, you see the steep, raw desert hills. All of that stratified, layered, twisted geology. You can now see hundreds of power towers, making straight lines over hill and dale, towards the next pass 10 miles distant. On the far horizon are snow capped peaks. Nearby a weird cloud envelops a peak, and later in the day it dissipates to reveal a dusting of snow. Ravens flap across the sky, and the feathers make the wooshing sound. You come across a burro track, and maybe you don't see them, but you know they've walked that track to some faraway desert spring, for more than a hundred years. In the distance, a mine that hasn't been worked for half a century can be seen. Midday, your work tally shows 200 or 250, and everyone is pleased that they just might meet the goal.

The routine is fairly routine: the vehicle rolls down dirt; the navigator calls out distance and bearing; eyes are outside for the turn or turnout because the flashflood washes look like road; brakes are hit so no overshoot kills 10 seconds in back up; doors open as the vehicle rolls to 20 to 50 feet from GZ, and 2 runners hop out; one set of eyes looks left at tower, base, and cresote bush, the other eyes look to the right for the same; the navigator steps out, and the driver turns the vehicle around if necessary; the driver steps out with camera or maybe just to stretch, but someone calls got it; one runner opens container and snakes the rolled and folded logsheet bundle with pliers, and hands it to the stickerer or inker; cache is replaced and everybody jogs back to vehicle; cache is marked found on GPS, maybe someone does paperwork or reads the map; the next cache is just over a minute away.

In that minute, you talk about the desert, that copper mine, a tortoise, 4 wheeling, the Delorme challenge, radios or droid, GSAK, that other great caching trip, and food. You eat snack food and drink fluid in that minute.

And so it goes, for as many hours as the team endures. The sun goes down, and you know you need to buckle down. The wind comes up, and on the open desert it has a force more potent than in town. The air is dry and cold, and chapstick can't keep up. Still the team is in good spirits, and focused on that final 50 caches.

There was one 30/hr straight section that went on for 10 miles with hundreds of towers in view. We were in rhythm, and after half and hour I looked westward... and hundreds of towers were still in view. My thoughts weren't about the repetition or being bored, they were about buckling down, staying focused, helping my teammates, and working through the 24 hours of routing and finding.

At some point, you hit X hundred and ninety nine. If you are after a milestone, you are excited with anticipation, and confused about how many extra to go over the next hundred. And then your team is done, and there's smiling, and chuckles, and giggles, and everybody just wants to get to the nice and cozy and warm hotel... and sleep. Wow that feels good.

The fact that a micro mint tin is 600 crow-fly feet across desert washes and arroyos, is not any different than a micro at opposite ends of a big box store parking lot. It's still geocaching. Lemme know when all 1/1 film cannisters and LPC are finally banned, because that's where the quality of geocaching can be improved.

This talk about rules and stickers belongs in either the 566 record thread, or the future 600 cache record thread.

Edited by bthomas