Another Problem with Photo Uploads

Markwell

There is a certain minimum size an image can be to work properly. If it is any smaller, a border is created around the image to the approximate width, and ranges with the height.

Jeremy

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

eeek.

I sized that picture off line to be a reasonably quick download and not to take up too much disk space on the server.

Now it seems I'm penalized for that by having this unsightly whitespace taking up my nice small shot.

This is going to be a poor solution if you ask me. I'd rather deal with the 100K limitation.

Markwell

My Geocaching Page

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

Take a look at the http://img.Groundspeak.com/benchmark/lg/358_100.jpg I uploaded for http://www.geocaching.com/mark/details.asp?PID=MF1355. Where'd all that white space around the photo come from???

Same thing has happen to the pictures I uploaded. I don't like the white space. It shows up in

my pictures also.

http://www.geocaching.com/mark/details.asp?PID=KW2860

I never had any problems withe the 100k limit before. It wasn't an issue to resize before uploading.

GeoScouter

[This message was edited by GeoScouter on May 21, 2002 at 07:59 AM.]

Upload it in whatever file size you like. It generates a thumbnail and large image. The largest image it gets is 175k (approximate).

You're in the minority. The majority have no idea how to shrink or crop images.

Jeremy

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

With IE6, the default setting is to "Enable Automatic Image Resizing." Also, my workstation at work has an 800x600 resolution.

So here I have a nicely cropped image suitable for quick download and screen viewing. When my IE opens up that image all by itself and it's done loading, the image is resized it to accommodate the additional whitespace. I'm left with a thumbnail again. That just seems like a poor fix.

While I may be in the minority of the general populous about resizing photos, I would say that the Geocaching populous is a little more techno-savvy than the general population. We've been handling cropping photos since before I started in March of 2001.

Bottom line: It's not a big hairy deal. I'll just stop cropping my photos and eat up more Groundspeak server space. icon_wink.gif

Markwell

With IE6, the default setting is to "Enable Automatic Image Resizing." Also, my workstation at work has an 800x600 resolution.

So here I have a nicely cropped image suitable for quick download and screen viewing. When my IE opens up that image all by itself and it's done loading, the image is resized it to accommodate the additional whitespace. I'm left with a thumbnail again. That just seems like a poor fix.

While I may be in the minority of the general populous about resizing photos, I would say that the Geocaching populous is a little more techno-savvy than the general population. We've been handling cropping photos since before I started in March of 2001.

Bottom line: It's not a big hairy deal. I'll just stop cropping my photos and eat up more Groundspeak server space. icon_wink.gif

Markwell