Your first GPS, and why you got it

CF104

The first GPS I used was in the Marine Corps in 1994, it was a Trimpak by Trimble. It was just awful. The first one I ever owned was a Garmin etrex in the brown, woodland, cammo pattern. I took it to Iraq in 2003 and it worked just as well as the government model in my HMMWV.

Image2010.gif

The first GPS we used (we are a group of 2 couples and together we tag 4 children along) was the Garmin Nuvi 650. Mostly a car-gps but after we found out about geocaching in November 2009 we had nothing else to use.

Now we use the Dakota 10 and the Dakota 20 for geocaching. It wasn't that expensive and it included paperless geocaching (as main reason)

We are using the both gps's for about 2 months now and we've found everything ever since, so no complaints...

Like many others, my first GPS unit was a Garmin eTrex Legend. With the iphone, and paperless geocaching, the eTrex Legend seems like a dinosaur in today's standards. However, there is nothing more genuine, and nothing more pure than printing off each geocache page, and manually entering each coordinate. It is comparable to driving a car with a manual stick shift versus an automatic transmission.

Eventually though, I upgraded to a Garmin Dakota 20 which I am very satisfied with. However, I still have my eTrex Legend, and I still use it for many other outdoor activities. :blink: