Online petition

17blonde

Okay...

Couldn't find anything the way you set it up.

Hit petitiononline.COM and entered not4/ohv on search.

I don't believe you're gonna get much support for ATV usage on trails on a forum devoted to hiking and backpacking.

I'd think most hikers don't want to have the quiet ruined by these things, much less duckin' for cover as they roar past. I've had quite a few "near misses" myself.

Would take pages to give examples on the destruction of trails (that folks worked very hard to build) also.

A few bad apples spoiled the bunch some time ago.

Good luck in your quest.

:wub: Hello,

This petition is to STOP off road vehicles from going on to Harbour View Rd. I have missed something in the petition setting. It should read petitiononline.com/not4ohv/ Sorry about that. It really makes me mad that the crd is really thinking about letting the quads, and other off road vehicles on this area. I, of course love hiking!

Okay...

Couldn't find anything the way you set it up.

Hit petitiononline.COM and entered not4/ohv on search.

I don't believe you're gonna get much support for ATV usage on trails on a forum devoted to hiking and backpacking.

I'd think most hikers don't want to have the quiet ruined by these things, much less duckin' for cover as they roar past. I've had quite a few "near misses" myself.

Would take pages to give examples on the destruction of trails (that folks worked very hard to build) also.

A few bad apples spoiled the bunch some time ago.

Good luck in your quest.

Help me out here....how is this related to Geocaching? :D

From the Forum Guidelines:

It is Groundspeak's desire to maintain forums for the purpose of promoting the activity of geocaching and GPS usage. As a result, we intend to limit forum discussions that promote a commercial, social, political or charitable agenda insofar as the agenda does not reasonably relate to the activity of geocaching and GPS usage. Therefore, threads or posts perceived to have been made with the intent of promoting any of the above agendas will not be permitted.

Seeing that 98.6% of the folks in this forum aren't residents of your jurisdiction,

its' pointless for us to sign a petition that doesn't involve us.

I suggest you post your petition elsewhere.

Will a moderator please weigh in on this?

This maybe true, but do you live on planet earth?

Seeing that 98.6% of the folks in this forum aren't residents of your jurisdiction,

You're missing the point... Since I don't live in your jurisdiction, my opinion doesn't matter to TPTB there.

Oh, and I don't appreciate the snide remark - Thanks!

and the other 2 threads you just started few minutes ago in all CAPS are necessary because? :D

I was being more specific in the heading. 2nd one was an error. Just getting used to this forum thing!

well, ok you're new to forums, but having two separate threads still doesn't make sense, you can edit your own posts and add more info

and please do not use all CAPS, in an online environment is perceived as shouting

as Difficult Run pointed out, will make no sense for people out of your area to sign such petition, our vote doesn't mean squat

you could have posted it in the Canada section, and maybe have something in the title like "calling all BC Cachers" or something like that, i'm quite sure will get more attention than in this section

OK, look, here's the issue. I went to the petition page, and, wow, if you are looking for help from strangers, you have to spoon feed us:

1. Who is the CRD? Who are they accountable to? Shouldn't the petition go to THEM (since the CRD is out to lunch)?

2. Where is Sea to Sea Regional Park (Harbourview Rd.)? Where is this Sooke place? Should we trust this Janet Evans person? is she trustworthy? Maybe she owns a business that would be hurt by ATV access.

3. Why is ATV access bad?

4. Why do you think anybody at the CRD Parks Board cares about petitions from who knows where?

5. What is the time line as far as the decision-making process?

I'm playing devils' advocate -- just saying you gotta be more compelling. If you are going to solicit signatures for a petitions try targeting people in the area. Maybe explain why this area is so cool, and why letting doofusses do endless donuts in fragile eco-systems is a bad idea. Pictures are good. And you gotta explain why action is needed today (as opposed to next week or next year). Come back when you're ready (or better yet, start your post in the State/Region/Province/Country forum below -- yeah, your info is SO bad that I have no idea where you are from!)

I live in the area but will not support this petition...sorry.

I also never will support that group responsible for closing off Harbourview who called themselves the TLC.

I haven't set foot back there since the take over but use to go there often. Access should be allowed for all. Just cause you and others can hike doesn't mean everybody can or wants too.

Before the TLC, there were real trails there but after the take over, they change the main trail into a road. There was one area you needed a 4X4 or walk to climb over the bedrock and I hear they built cabins up there also. God knows what else they have changed up there. 4-wheelers use to get together to do major clean ups up there every year and I mean garbage bins full. What did it get them?

Now they (TLC) are looking at grabbing more land for themselves again further down the island...bull crap.

I live in the area but will not support this petition...sorry.

I also never will support that group responsible for closing off Harbourview who called themselves the TLC.

I haven't set foot back there since the take over but use to go there often. Access should be allowed for all. Just cause you and others can hike doesn't mean everybody can or wants too.

Before the TLC, there were real trails there but after the take over, they change the main trail into a road. There was one area you needed a 4X4 or walk to climb over the bedrock and I hear they built cabins up there also. God knows what else they have changed up there. 4-wheelers use to get together to do major clean ups up there every year and I mean garbage bins full. What did it get them?

Now they (TLC) are looking at grabbing more land for themselves again further down the island...bull crap.

I am 100% with ZoomZoom on this topic.

I believe firmly in multi-use areas and access for all.

I do not believe in keeping gates locked and closing people out - the very people who paid for this land - from enjoying these areas in the manner they see fit.

Most multi-use advocates are extremely responsible for the area they use. I took part in several very successful clean up runs in this area, and not once did I ever see anyone from the TLC (The Land Conservancy) or any other so-called environmental organization take part.

The TLC didn't even come close to raising the money they needed to put this land aside - because NO ONE supported their actions - and then they duped the CRD (Capital Regional District) the Province of BC and others into paying the remaining sum. It is insane that OUR money, as taxpayers, has gone to purchasing what became private land, held by the TLC.

I think the gates should be removed, the newly laid down road bed plowed under and the area put back so that it is exactly like it was 10 years ago.

I am local to this area. I used to use this area regularly. I am responsible and cleaned up after others. I will NEVER knowingly donate money to any environmental group EVER because of the TLC's actions.

Night Hawk 3

Good for you 17Blonde for posting this. Too bad to forum is worldwide so signatures from far away don't mean much.

Petition

What this small group doesn't realize is that they never had a right to ATV on this land in the first place. It was Timberwest so they were trespassing even then.

The TLC and other organizations contribute about 35% to the park acquisition fund so they sure do have a say what gets done with the land.

I think that this piece of property is wonderful and I think it's disgusting that this group is trying to discredit this park at every turn. It has been logged once or twice. So what? Some of our nicest parks aren't first growth. Also TM going to the CRD to lecture them that the park is apparently "illegal" because of the zoning. Get a life. No parks agency with resources to enforce allows this use. Even Sooke Mountain Provincial Park prohibits their use. If the CVRD Parks had resources, they'd enforce their ban too and I've seen how their parks look after you guys have had at them (Kokisilah). TrailsBC says no as well since they wreck the trailbed and you people do donuts on purpose, wrecking the bed for every other use.

This place is only recovering and getting better now because there are fewer OHVs there because of the gate. I have seen at least half a dozen wrecked cars down embankments, broken glass on the road, and a trail of beer cans for miles. That is the legacy of 20+ years ago. These aren't hikers, equestrians or mountain bikers. We carry just what we need.

This group says they can "self police" themselves. No they can't, they don't have authority anyway. Either way, after a patch of moss is destroyed, it's too late anyway.

The healthiest people in the world eh? The only ones I have seen were smoking and drinking by their ATVs at a broken bridge preventing them from getting to Crabapple. Thank God that bridge is broken.

If Harbourview is in such prime condition, why is it so hard for even the feeblest of people? The road is only nice now thanks to the CRD and fewer vehicles up there.

In the end, it doesn't matter. You guys will lose. Public opinion against this use is rising every day.

4450175942_6ed39909d2.jpg

ATV damage on Mount Wells. A sign of what's to come if this use is approved.

you know,..i cant just sit here and read this without commenting.

i geocache.

i hike.

i am an atv rider.

i am involved with the off road world.

i fix trucks.

i sell parts

i wheel my 4runner hard.

i DO NOT destroy the environment.

i DO NOT disrespect other hikers etc.

i have and will continue when called upon, assist in hauling out injured or lost hikers

through the local atv club myself and other members have assisted with missing persons off the main roads.

i have helped record and report poachers.

i have participated in organised off road cleanups.

i personally can reasonably suggest i am responsible for removing tons (not figuratively, literally) tons of waste left by irresponsible people in the back country. a lot of it not left by trucks or quads.

i have volunteered to be able to assist emergency preparedness, and search and rescue

who exactly do you think has the skills and capabilities to assist you if you fall and seriously injure yourself in the back country?

trucks were in harbourview before you were even thought of, much less born.

harbourview is not only a very beautiful area, it is also resilient, and regrows very quickly, and it would have to as it has been logged, clearcut many times.

seriously, do your research.

simracs is not asking for people to be able to cut new trails.

simracs is asking for the ability to drive on already existing trails and roads to enable access to further back country that would not be easy to access otherwise.

i am more than happy to be the first guy on the trail to harass and confront someone whom is performing unethical stunts or harming the beauty that is our back country.

i pay taxes.

a lot of taxes.

i also cater to a client base whom pays many many thousands of dollars in taxes.

like us or lump us, your tax contribution does not outwiegh my tax contribution.

we have EQUAL rights in canada.

why cant we start to try to co-operate instead of being a bunch of whiners trying to dictate to one user group or another who should or should not be allowed access?

young or old, people need to realise that trucks have been hauling hurt people out, and enabling cleanups etc longer than you can imagine

yes there are people whom have drivers licence's whom are ignorant.

but ignorance is not a label rightly worn by those whom offroad alone,...how many ignorant people do you find in town?

kids who grow up with a steady hand on the tiller, who hunt, fish, 4x4, geocache, hike and camp do NOT grow up throwing their trash in the bush

it is usually the kids who havent had their parents take them out, hiking, riding, wheeling etc,...and have zero respect for the greatness we have in this country who do the damage, steal the cars, burn them in the woods, and drink to much alcohol and leave their messes out there

i guarantee my son does none of these activities. and he loves getting out in my 4runner.

grow a pair and realize who is actually doing the damage. then deal with your kids.

next generation, i hope, will realize that if we respect the back country, and all try to respectfully co-exist, it will be for a greater good.

segregation does not work, in our schools or in our woods.

Edited by yodawheeler

The CARS down embankments were not from OHV users, but from the bored youth of Sooke and the surrounding area. They would go out to Victoria in the evenings on weekends, find that there was no transportation home late at night, and then steal cars to get home. To discard of them, they would drive up the repaired road into Harbourview (roads were repaired when some new logging took place, which made it easier to access what were otherwise 4wd-only roads) and burn the cars to destroy the evidence.

Other cars that were removed by groups and individuals during clean-up runs, many of which had been there for years and even decades, were then disposed of properly so they could not longer introduce toxic leachates into the environment.

When I hunted, fished, hiked and fourwheeled in the Harbourview Rd. area many years ago, there was virtually no wanton destruction of areas by ATVs, 4x4s or dirtbikes that I ever found. The problems tend to arise when an area becomes gated, as the natural policing effect of having a more balanced user-base disappears.

The Harbourview Road area is hardly "a pristine wilderness environment" as many have suggested. Even when there was fundraising in the 1990s to put this area aside, I laughed out loud at the poor, uninformed, person who rang my doorbell telling me I had to donate money to save this pristine area. I asked if he had even been there, and the answer was "no" with a little bit of a deer-in-the-headlights look after informed him of the area's previous industrial use and how he was being mis-lead by the TLC (this was long before any of the HV issue was even contentious).

With respect to "parks status" and land use zoning, there seems to be a rather large discrepancy between what some want to believe, and what Sooke's OCP and zoning quite clearly states. "Park" is not allowed use.

Clearly, there are people out there who are near-sighted, mis-informed and arrogant. Unfortunately, it would appear that a considerable portion of these individuals can be found in poorly founded groups such as the TLC.

The Land Conservancy often has little to no ability to purchase or care-take the lands they desire, and have the CRD (which means us as taxpayers) take on a lot of the financial burden to carry out their purchases. Also, The Land Conservancy often puts no money aside for the ongoing care of the properties they take on - leaving the on-going financial burden to others.

~NH3