Block listing from being bookmarked

Zor

Is there a way to prevent a cache from being added to a bookmark?

I mention this because I have a very large series of caches coming out in the next week or so and within that series, a handful of them have clues to some puzzle caches. The idea is that you do the entire series and collect the clues as you go but clues are not in every cache.

Since the clues aren't in every cache, someone could feasibly make a public bookmark that contains only the caches that have clues, hence defeating the point of the series. Is it possible to withold a cache from being bookmarked?

And yes, I already know that I could have put clues in every one of the caches to avoid this but there were too many in the series to do that and be able to maintain the puzzles properly.

I would hate to see them moved around. If someone finds 1/4 of then today but doesn't find all the clues, when he finds another 1'4 of the caches the clues may have already been moved to the caches he already found. He could end up chasing his tail forever trying to catch up with the clues.

Is there a way to prevent a cache from being added to a bookmark?

I mention this because I have a very large series of caches coming out in the next week or so and within that series, a handful of them have clues to some puzzle caches. The idea is that you do the entire series and collect the clues as you go but clues are not in every cache.

Since the clues aren't in every cache, someone could feasibly make a public bookmark that contains only the caches that have clues, hence defeating the point of the series. Is it possible to withold a cache from being bookmarked?

And yes, I already know that I could have put clues in every one of the caches to avoid this but there were too many in the series to do that and be able to maintain the puzzles properly.

If I can't bookmark it, it won't be in my PQ, meaning that it won't be in my GPSr, meaning that I'll never look for it. Is that what you want?

It's very bad form IMO to share hints to other's puzzles. I'd bet your chances of this happening are pretty slim, but if it happens, post a link and we'll bring out the pitchforks. :wub:

It's very bad form IMO to share hints to other's puzzles. I'd bet your chances of this happening are pretty slim, but if it happens, post a link and we'll bring out the pitchforks. :wub:

If I'm not mistaken, if anyone puts one of the caches in the series on a *public* bookmark list, it will immediately appear on the cache listing itself, so you'll know it has happened and you'll know who created the bookmark list. At that point, you could request that the bookmark list be removed. Not sure what recourse you would have, though, if the bookmark list owner ignored your request....

--Larry

Edited by larryc43230

I hate to say it - but anybody that would create a public bookmark list to aid others would probably just print out such information and hand to anybody that asked anyway.

Very true.

Last fall I was contacted by several local cachers who were disgusted to find that another cacher had posted the solution to several of my puzzles on Facebook and then sent an email to everyone (well over 100 cachers) to let know about it. He even included container descriptions and detailed locations of the containers.

If cheaters want to pass around the locations of your clues they will find a way to do it. That is why I gave up creating that type of cache.

Edited by Tequila