Browsing/Searching Others Lists?

juliejill77

I'm new to this geocaching stuff. My son and I have gone out ~6 times with limited success (30+ minutes to find a cache and too many DNFs to make it fun for my son - 6yo). So, I'd like to look to see if there's a bookmarked list of easy/kid-friendly caches in and around Seattle/Eastside. Basically, I want "tried and tested" Seattle geocaching for kids.

I thought that if lists were shared, I be able to look at all the shared lists to find what I need. I figured this should be easy to do. It's not.

So far I can only see a shared list by going to the profile of a specific user which I find a) because I know the person, or B) because I've found a few caches they hid and like them. From my profile I can only see my lists (shared or not).

I know one other option is a PQ for easy size, difficulty, terrain, and "kid-friendly".

Help?

Yep, you're right about the Pocket Querys. Since you are a premium member, that's yours to use. Another fun tool to use with your pocket querys is a program called GSAK, which you can try for free (with a nag screen unless you buy). That can help you "filter" out caches you don't want to try yet.

Also, there should be a local geocaching group you could find, and ask if any locals have a list compiled you could use. The finding part gets easier. Good luck!

I'm new to this geocaching stuff. My son and I have gone out ~6 times with limited success (30+ minutes to find a cache and too many DNFs to make it fun for my son - 6yo). So, I'd like to look to see if there's a bookmarked list of easy/kid-friendly caches in and around Seattle/Eastside. Basically, I want "tried and tested" Seattle geocaching for kids.

I thought that if lists were shared, I be able to look at all the shared lists to find what I need. I figured this should be easy to do. It's not.

So far I can only see a shared list by going to the profile of a specific user which I find a) because I know the person, or :wub: because I've found a few caches they hid and like them. From my profile I can only see my lists (shared or not).

I know one other option is a PQ for easy size, difficulty, terrain, and "kid-friendly".

Help?

Don't understand why GC management hasn't implemented a searchable bookmark list feature. I think the suggestion has been made at least 50 times in the forums, since bookmark lists were implemented. I don't recall any objections to the idea.

The problem with using bookmarked lists for this purpose is that they can be woefully out of date. A great kid-friendly cache in March 2009 may become a broken container CITO candidate by January 2010. Even when they get archived, it will probably remain on the booklist; it is rare for bookmarks to be updated and for finders to recheck the cache to see if it remains worthy. You are better off running a PQ of easy/kid friendly caches and looking at a few of the recent logs or asking some other family cachers for suggestions.

Don't be afraid to send other cachers emails via geocaching.com and ask questions about their caches. I did that for a couple I was traveling by on my way through the state to see how far a walk down the trail it would be for the kids and I. We didn't want to spend too much time as we were going to find it while stretching our legs. The CO was very helpful.