New World Record - 566 caches found in one day

Well we'll be there. we can navigate down that power trail faster than any other geocacher out there. I have given you my warning

Yup, keep warning us every now and then so we don't forget. But I'm not sure what power trail it is that you're going to burn up; they seem to come and go so quickly these days.

It's happened again.

Another crazy record has been broken. :(

This time Ventura_Kids, Fotomom, and Cachepal have pushed the limit up.

We found 566 geocaches in one day.

Who - Ventura_kids, Fotomom, and Cachepal

What - found 566 geocaches in one day

When - Friday, March 26th

Where - Trail of the gods near Primm Nevada

Why - dunno

How - One car, 4 cachers, no cheating, stopped twice for gas.

What a record! Now, like most records someone has to run out and top it. Here's the link to the WGA site that talks about Trekkin' and Birdin's record of 700 in a day (20 hour run).

700 caches in a day

It's happened again.

Another crazy record has been broken. :(

This time Ventura_Kids, Fotomom, and Cachepal have pushed the limit up.

We found 566 geocaches in one day.

Who - Ventura_kids, Fotomom, and Cachepal

What - found 566 geocaches in one day

When - Friday, March 26th

Where - Trail of the gods near Primm Nevada

Why - dunno

How - One car, 4 cachers, no cheating, stopped twice for gas.

What a record! Now, like most records someone has to run out and top it. Here's the link to the WGA site that talks about Trekkin' and Birdin's record of 700 in a day (20 hour run).

700 caches in a day

I really do hope that they found them honestly and fairly with no cheating.

Otherwise, it doesn't count. :)

Wow - that's a lot of caches.

I guess the trick is to set-up one of these power-trails to facilitate this happening - which looks like it's a more and more frequent event. As these trails get longer, then the record should climb higher, but I wonder what the absolute maximum can be? One cache every minute? It would certainly have been a funny sight to see... drive, stop, cache, drive, stop, cache...

seems like a fine line between cheating and playing by the rules when it comes to these "world records".

is the world record for bubble gum chewing held by a single person.... or a group of 5 sitting in a jeep?

:(:)

Have you actually checked the rule book? If not, give it a look see, everything is quite clearly spelled out in there. :D

seems like a fine line between cheating and playing by the rules when it comes to these "world records".

is the world record for bubble gum chewing held by a single person.... or a group of 5 sitting in a jeep?

Have you actually checked the rule book? If not, give it a look see, everything is quite clearly spelled out in there. :D

the world book of records has no such rule for caching. just checked.... it isn't there.

the world book of records has no such rule for caching. just checked.... it isn't there.

No, that's the wrong book. You picked up the 'Record' book. What you need is the 'Rule' book. That's where all of the Rules are. :D:D:lol:

My wife and I did 413 in about 9 hours on the E.T. trail ... and that included a few rather longish breaks. We actually stopped, found, signed (stamped) each log, and replaced the log and cache and then proceeded to the next. Several took more than a few minutes to find. And, due to an error in the published coords, one caused me to take a rather extended hike up a mountain (I gave up before getting to the wrong coord.) There was one 2 hour period in which we did 130 caches, i.e. better than 1 per minute. Therefore, unless the caches got much harder toward the far end, 700 in 20 hours is not all that tough ... no disrespect intended.

BTW: At lease some cachers were not replacing the caches where they found them. We found a number just lose on the ground and there is strong evidence some cachers were taking the cache with them, signing while driving, and then putting exchanging it for the next cache. (That would explain how we came to two different caches that we had already signed!)

My wife and I did 413 in about 9 hours on the E.T. trail ... and that included a few rather longish breaks. We actually stopped, found, signed (stamped) each log, and replaced the log and cache and then proceeded to the next. Several took more than a few minutes to find. And, due to an error in the published coords, one caused me to take a rather extended hike up a mountain (I gave up before getting to the wrong coord.) There was one 2 hour period in which we did 130 caches, i.e. better than 1 per minute. Therefore, unless the caches got much harder toward the far end, 700 in 20 hours is not all that tough ... no disrespect intended.

BTW: At lease some cachers were not replacing the caches where they found them. We found a number just lose on the ground and there is strong evidence some cachers were taking the cache with them, signing while driving, and then putting exchanging it for the next cache. (That would explain how we came to two different caches that we had already signed!)

Congratulations!!! I do believe that you have established a new 9 hr. World Record.

Outstanding performance.

No, that's the wrong book. You picked up the 'Record' book. What you need is the 'Rule' book. That's where all of the Rules are. :laughing::mad::grin:

...nope, no mention of what constitutes a world record in the RULE book either.

Well that right there is surely going to make the official determination of World Records much more difficult.

However until proven incorrect, I do believe that we have a valid 9hr. World Record in 'the books', just as soon as we find them. :laughing::(:grin:

I'm still pulling fer yas HH. :anicute:

Edited by Team Cotati

Here's the latest: BYOC

Bring Your Own Cache

I remember when the Ventura Kids did their early numbers runs and folks were astounded ... Shortly thereafter the powertrails came into being and the numbers sky rocketed.

IF I am correct, among the first powertrails was "The Trail Of The Gods" which was shut down due to national security concerns. Remember, this was not long after Sept, 11 terrorist attack.

17 hours ago, Rikitan said:

If solved, found, signed, hidden back by one & same person on his own, I'm impressed. Otherwise meh.

I recall someone doing the ET Highway trail solo on a motorcycle. He ended up with several hundred finds in a single day of geocaching, with no tricks, and with no group caching (not that there's anything wrong with group caching).

• Love 1
22 hours ago, niraD said:

I recall someone doing the ET Highway trail solo on a motorcycle. He ended up with several hundred finds in a single day of geocaching, with no tricks, and with no group caching (not that there's anything wrong with group caching).

I recall that as well.  Given some of the ways some groups do power trails,  I read any claim of a very high number of finds by a group of 3 or more with a grain of salt. 

• Upvote 2
23 hours ago, niraD said:

Seinfeld fan by any chance? :lol:

On 12/31/2018 at 12:22 PM, Gabeman26 said:

What!! My top score on my own is like 10

And that could still be very impressive depending on where you live. Don't compare bare numbers worldwide, there are SO many factors that alter the difficulty.  Always take someone's numbers in a more detailed context (as shown in many examples above).  A raw number means nothing in relation to others, really :)

• Upvote 1
On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 12:22 PM, Gabeman26 said:

What!! My top score on my own is like 10

Playing while now, do you find you're having more fun now when out, or do you sort of miss finding many in one day ?

According to this site, our "best day"   is 31, but to us, our best day was one cache that took most of a day.     :)

Not sure why the site feels the number of finds constitutes a best day...

With "best" day, month and year,  I really hope that's reworded to simply "most finds" some day.

• Upvote 3
37 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

According to this site, our "best day"   is 31, but to us, our best day was one cache that took most of a day.     :)

Absolutely. Many of my best days geocaching have been days when I found only a single cache. And many of my absolute favorite caches have been ones that took hours to complete, that were the only cache I found on that day.

• Upvote 2

Obviously they're not implying that your best ever day out geocaching is the day you found the most caches. In the context of statistics, they're claiming 'best day' to be the best count of logged finds. To assume that HQ is trying to tell everyone that your most favouritest ever geocaching day is this specific date, well, that's just silly. Even for people who try to get the most finds in a day, their "favourite" day could be quite different. Context matters.

That said, yes, even in the statistics page the 'best day' subjectively could be the highest of any statistic, not just find count. Really just take it for what it is - 'best day' on the statistics page is referring to find count, that's all, no other implication. Not quality of geocaching day. (of course it could be clarified by saying "day with most finds" or whatever)  I don't think anyone, or I hope no one, thinks hq actually believes that every person's favourite geocaching day is the day they found the most caches; as much as some people might want to think hq wants to believe that :P

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, niraD said:

Absolutely. Many of my best days geocaching have been days when I found only a single cache. And many of my absolute favorite caches have been ones that took hours to complete, that were the only cache I found on that day.

Some of my most favourite caches are ones that took several days to complete, like GC6T5PZ which took three full days of driving/hiking/kayaking to visit all the waypoints and finally get to GZ two months after I started it.

GC6T5PZ.thumb.jpg.62e78f25498680da251e05d2dab714d7.jpg

Most of my other favourites took the best part of a day to complete and I even own a challenge cache based around finding caches with the takes more than an hour attribute. For me, a day of caching usually involves just one cache.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, barefootjeff said:

Some of my most favourite caches are ones that took several days to complete, like GC6T5PZ which took three full days of driving/hiking/kayaking to visit all the waypoints and finally get to GZ two months after I started it.

GC6T5PZ.thumb.jpg.62e78f25498680da251e05d2dab714d7.jpg

Most of my other favourites took the best part of a day to complete and I even own a challenge cache based around finding caches with the takes more than an hour attribute. For me, a day of caching usually involves just one cache.

That cache looks impressive. Great photographs.

One of my favourites: GC63GEW

Thousands of kms driven. Maybe 5,000kms one way, and then you have to drive home, so double it. Canberra to Darwin, but not the most direct route. I was the first to drive it and actually do it, but unfortunately the FTF went to someone who sat on their computer and made phone calls :( . But I have to admit it was clever to manage that.

I am still working on the 'twin' return cache:GC63GEV Darwin to Canberra. Have been for at least two years now. I am most of the way to Canberra; now near the Victorian/ NSW border.

I have also started the Canberra to Perth cache and my next WP is in the middle of the Nullarbor Plain. Must take that drive someday to Perth. (NOT in summer.) I have completed several others in this series; Canberra to Sydney, both caches both directions Canberra to Hobart, the ones Canberra to Adelaide, Canberra to Melbourne and have part completed the Canberra to Brisbane one.

Edited by Goldenwattle
9 hours ago, niraD said:

I'd say there are likely days where the final cache was such an undertaking itself that I felt no need to dilute the experience by finding a pill bottle or something else quite ordinary afterwards.  Those caches tended to be things which deserved much more than a mere favorite point

• Upvote 1
22 hours ago, thebruce0 said:

Obviously they're not implying that your best ever day out geocaching is the day you found the most caches. In the context of statistics, they're claiming 'best day' to be the best count of logged finds.

In that case, they could have used some other phrase, like "Most Logged" or "Highest Find Count".

• Upvote 1
10 hours ago, niraD said:

In that case, they could have used some other phrase, like "Most Logged" or "Highest Find Count".

Indeed, though the word "Record" implies something other than "This was the best day geocaching - EVER!!!  I found 5 Fizzies and 2 Jasmers and then a couple of Tattletales caches! I just don't get no better!!!"

3 hours ago, DragonsWest said:
14 hours ago, niraD said:

Indeed, though the word "Record" implies something other than "This was the best day geocaching - EVER!!!  I found 5 Fizzies and 2 Jasmers and then a couple of Tattletales caches! I just don't get no better!!!"

Where do you see the word "Record" on the stats page? I see only "Best Day", "Best Month", etc.