We gave it a try

The Cache Checkers

Hi all,

Last fall I told my son he could pick out a TB or a coin to put in a cache. He chose a slug geocoin he called Slimy Sam and put it in a small sized cache, hoping it would travel around in some micro's to make them more fun to find because he thinks micro's are so "booooring".

It was picked up once and traveled all the way from Ohio to California in one hop...and hasn't been heard from since.

I told my son that these things happen, but it's such a bummer that it had to happen with his first coin and on that coins visit move!

He asked and I agreed he could send out some emails via geocaching.com to the cachers who logged a find after it was dropped off back on 11/7 up to the time a helpful cacher logged both on that cache page and on the coins page that it was no longer in the inventory on 12/4 I think it was.

My son typed up one email and I helped him paste them and send them off. We ended up sending over 20 emails and have already recieved many replies, but all saying they didn't have it and most don't remember seeing it.

Maybe we'll get lucky and get that automated email that says Slimy Sam has been put into another cache. I know TB's and coins disappear and that cachers can hold onto some time, it just really stinks it had to happen to my son's coin so fast!

I feel your pain... My very first coin was a gift at a geocaching event I was invited to right after I first started this addictive hobby. My kids and I took pictures of the coin and planned the release and had a blast thinking it would travel.

Made it two months before it disappeared....

I have one other coin traveling right now that hasn't been logged in a few months so I am 0 for 2 for releases

I think it's awful that people take travelers and even worse when they take those that belong to kids. I'm getting ready to send one out and I'm attaching a note (laminated) that explains it's misson and that it belongs to a child. I was going to get a coin and drill a hole in it but the one he picked already has one. I've heard that drilling them makes them less desireable to those who take them, but who knows. I hope the coin shows up soon. Maybe you should look into finding one of those free coins people sometimes give away to send out another one for him. Now I'm thinking I need to figure out how to fit another coin or two into my budget for him. I love the Slimy Sam name. Too cute.

Thanks all. We actually took the little chain off it, but I'm thinking maybe if we had attached it to something bigger, it would have had a chance. It's like a nickle with a hole in the middle. My son wanted to keep it like that so it would fit in the 35mm film canister we so often find as micro's.

We've had many more replies to the email he sent out, but all say they're sorry, but they don't have or that they didn't see it. :wub: