"Infecting this cache!"

I found a couple of caches today (micros) with the 'rolled up paper log'. A 'person', who had found the same caches recently, took up entire lengths/sides of the paper writing in big letters 'I am infecting all of these caches!!!!" And their name was 'Geodinmypants'.

Is this person trying to be amusing?

Is the a (somewhat) common occurence?

If I encountered this person, could I place them in the micro?

I had never seen this before, and I hope I don't see too much of it in the future.

I found a couple of caches today (micros) with the 'rolled up paper log'. A 'person', who had found the same caches recently, took up entire lengths/sides of the paper writing in big letters 'I am infecting all of these caches!!!!" And their name was 'Geodinmypants'.

I had never seen this before, and I hope I don't see too much of it in the future.

From my brief experience... this is not common but I would use some hand sanitizer after touching the log...

I would also report him/her if they were online.

(so many things could be said about my post... brief... log... nm...)

These people are looking for attention. Don't post about them in forums or on cache pages. Ignore them and they will eventually move on to other things to get the attention they seek.

If you must, make your caches harder to find until they find easier pursuits.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Another thought...

If this becomes an active practice, I can foresee criminal investigations arising in such a situation. A threat of this nature, be it intended as a joke or real, holds serious consequences for the perpetrator(s), both criminal and civil.

Not unlike bomb threats at schools or other locations. The threat alone will be taken seriously and dealt with harshly by local, state, provincial and federal authorities.

If some misguided soul thinks they are playing a fun game, to see knee-jerk reactions from others, they had better think again.

To the OP: It would be my recommendation to contact your local police department and find out who among them is a geocacher, or is at least familiar with the activity. Advise him/her of your findings and get their thoughts on the issue. Let them decide if the matter should be pursued.

Sure, it is probably a hoax, but are you willing to bet your life on it?

My 2¢ worth.

i wouldn't worry about it, whomever that is knows the term "cache", so must be familiar with the game and possibly just a micro hater

Wow....police involvement? People let "terrorism" scare them too much. He's just being a jerk taking up the logsheet so no one else can log.

Exactly! Fill up a log scroll, cause owner maintenance, Repeat till excessive maintenance causes archival.

It's my guess, but it sounds like the term 'infecting' is figurative and not literal. The perp is writing "I'm infecting these caches" meaning he's infecting them by using up all the log space, not that he actually put a virus in there.

Anyway, I wouldn't say much about it publicly (in logs, etc.). The CO should just replace the log when he gets a chance and that would most likely be the end of it.

Carry replacement logs, put them in without mentioning that you did. The twit is looking for attention ... withdraw it.