The new Challenge caches

hamgran

I notice that folks have been finding challenge caches, such as the Ontario monthlies, without meeting all the requirements... then posting a note on the cache page saying they found the cache, but that they will change that note to a smiley when they meet the requirements.

Just wondering what the general consensus of this is.

I've driven by a few of these and purposely haven't gone after them, because I don't meet the requirements yet. I go back when I've got the necessary caches under my belt, and find the cache and log it on the date I find it. Extra driving, maybe, but I'm sure I'm going to be in the area again to geocache, sometime!

Seems to me if you just change the note you made, to a smiley, the date you found the challenge cache stays the same but you hadn't actually met the requirements on that date. To say nothing about the wrench doing this throws into the order, for those who collect FTFs or 2TFs.

Thoughts?

edited for grammar

Edited by hamgran

a note is not a find...afaic its OK

i've seen it on many challenges, there is nothing precluding someone to find the actual cache, they just can't post a FIND until all requirements are met

when you change the log type you can also change the date, but my guess is that they will actually make a separate "find" log whenever they met the requirements

that way it preserves the history of the logs

Edited by t4e

There are as many ways to play this game, as there are geocachers.

I'm guilty of posting a note when there's a challenge cache along my route, but I post a separate "find" on the day I qualify for the cache rather than changing the note. I don't go out looking for challenge caches that I don't yet qualify for (these have cured me from being a "radius slave"). I have encountered several challenge caches while I'm looking for a different cache on the same trail - those ones I'll stop and sign in.

I wouldn't let it bother you.

One of our local challenge cache states that you are welcome to find the cache and sign the log whenever you'd like, you just can't post a FIND it log online until you meet all of the requirements. You are welcome to post a note, and change it later or just add a find it log later as I'm sure most people will do.

I tend to find the physical challenge cache ASAP. If I'm going to attempt a lengthy and difficult challenge I dadgum well want to be able to log a find and not be obstructed by a missing or archived cache.

Muggles are part of caching, unfortunately. A find is never guaranteed at the end of any cache, no matter how difficult. Though I'm sure in the case of these challenge caches, once you've got the prerequisites and the cache goes missing, it will soon be replaced. The caches are generally quick and easy to get to.

Muggles are part of caching, unfortunately. A find is never guaranteed at the end of any cache, no matter how difficult. Though I'm sure in the case of these challenge caches, once you've got the prerequisites and the cache goes missing, it will soon be replaced. The caches are generally quick and easy to get to.

In my experience caches are often not quickly maintained or maintained at all. Many cachers leave the activity after a year or two or they move or something else changes and caches fall by the wayside. For a challenge that might encompass several years of time on my part to collect the requirements, I'm not going to wait till the end to find it. In addition some of the challenges may be quite a distance from my home and so its not something that is easy to return to. And as also mentioned all the challenges I've seen or participated in indicated you could find the physical cache at any time.

A few examples of mine, a challenge cache is located about 3 hours away and across a border. The cache was missing on two occasions when we attempted to find it and complete the challenge. This was over a 5 month span. We ended up contacting the owner and replacing the container for them so we could make the find. This same cache has also been missing or muggled on 2 or 3 other occasions. In the case of another challenge, the final is poorly hidden and very susceptible to muggling in my opinion and the hider is someone who doesn't cache all that often and is often entirely absent from the caching scene including answering emails.

Although I may find the physical cache very early, I'll often go back to find it again when I finish the challenge and make a log for that date.

Edited by ertyu

Yeah, you're probably right, 'Pig... it's just that this particular scenario doesn't sit right with my sense of order. Guess I'll have to get over that somehow! :D

When I organized the Mini Fizzy challenges I had rule #7 as "Find this physical cache and sign the log book after you have met the requirements of this cache." Unfortunately that rule can not be enforced. According to Groundspeak, as long as the person has met the requirements and at some point has found the cache, then they may claim it as a find.

When I organized the 25 Oldest, A Cache A Day minis and the other fizzy challenges I left that rule out of the standard cache descriptions since it was pointless.

Personally I think if someone posts a note when they have signed the log and not met the requirements, they should leave it and then post a find once they have met the requirements on the day that they met the requirements (assuming they found the cache already). I don't think they should change their note to a find, but if they do, that's their choice.

Edited by res2100

OK, before this turns into a full-blown "Let's Bash Hamgran, the Control Freak!" forum, I think I'd better close it. Though it doesn't look like you can do that anymore.

Thanks to all who have participated. I've certainly learned a lot.

OK, before this turns into a full-blown "Let's Bash Hamgran, the Control Freak!" forum, I think I'd better close it. Though it doesn't look like you can do that anymore.

Thanks to all who have participated. I've certainly learned a lot.

Naw, you're OK. I might have had the same opinion, except I have not seen this practice, nor would myself or anyone doing it ever have even crossed my mind.

Yes, they took the "close thread" button away a couple of years ago. The obscure, almost unknown method of getting your thread closed is to hit the "report" button for your own post, and tell the moderator you would like the thread closed. :D