Garmin eTrex.

What are you using the GPSr for? If it's just for driving obviously the Nuvi is an excellent GPSr. But if you want to go hiking/boating/"Geocaching"/cycling/outdoorsy-stuff then the Nuvi isn't so good.. it's battery life is short it isn't weatherproof and it's shape is kinda hard to hand hold for a long time (no lanyard clip on it either!)

For those types of activities YES an Etrex is much better! But, there are dozens of different Etrex's.. from a simple "yellow" to the top-of-the-line Vista HCx. What you want to use it for decides which model is best for you.

I consider the NUVI to be an auto-routing GPS and the Etrex to be a follow the arrow trail gps. That's my set up. I use a 76cs to get me to the parking lot and Vista HCx to get me to the cache. There are units that can do both and provide paperless caching better than either one.

As NordicMan said the Vista HCx is the top Etrex. It depends on what you want to do here. Do you have a PDA for paperless?

What are you using the GPSr for? If it's just for driving obviously the Nuvi is an excellent GPSr. But if you want to go hiking/boating/"Geocaching"/cycling/outdoorsy-stuff then the Nuvi isn't so good.. it's battery life is short it isn't weatherproof and it's shape is kinda hard to hand hold for a long time (no lanyard clip on it either!)

For those types of activities YES an Etrex is much better! But, there are dozens of different Etrex's.. from a simple "yellow" to the top-of-the-line Vista HCx. What you want to use it for decides which model is best for you.

I use the Nuvi for Geocaching, and that's what I'd use the eTrex for as well. I'm not sure what eTrex I was looking at, though it was yellow. It cost about $100 if that helps.

I consider the NUVI to be an auto-routing GPS and the Etrex to be a follow the arrow trail gps. That's my set up. I use a 76cs to get me to the parking lot and Vista HCx to get me to the cache. There are units that can do both and provide paperless caching better than either one.

As NordicMan said the Vista HCx is the top Etrex. It depends on what you want to do here. Do you have a PDA for paperless?

I don't have a PDA, but honestly, I don't mind carrying a few sheets of paper with cache coordinates and descriptions. Should this factor into my decision?

Also, I forgot to ask: is it easy and simple to put coordinates into the eTrex?