Rising Sun Mint "Geocoin"

Pasha88

Recently, while ebay shopping, I saw a VERY cute "golden retriever" geocoin, made by Rising Sun Mint. I'd a huge golden fan, so I bought it without a thought.

The front of the coin has a photo of a retriever, and the back says "The Rising Sun Mint 2010, Golden Retriever, track at geocaching.com" with the tracking #.

Coin is alright; not the greatest quality, dog is just a sticker on the front of the metal coin. Thing is... when I tried activating the coin, geocaching said the tracking number did not exist!! WTH???

Has anyone else puchased coins from this seller? Is Rising Sun Mint legit?

I see in another post that the seller (ameropaintball) was caught selling unauthorized copies of another cacher's coins - is it possible this coin is fake as well?

I have contacted the seller to find out about the activation code... perhaps I was just supplied with the wrong code. Will post when I receive a response...

Ay help would be great, thanks.

After seeing the other thread I took a look on ebay. I picked a coin and asked him if it had a tracking number and was trackable on gc.com and I didn't get any answer at all.

Make sure you have tried all possible combinations of letters and numbers as some can look the same like 8 & B, or S & 5 or 0 & O. If it truly is a bogus tracking number I'd report it to ebay. Then go through the paypal process of geting your money and give negative feedback saying the tracking number was bogus.

I bought acouple Retiever coins from them. I requested activation codes and I was able to activate one of them - didn't try the other. I was supposed to have won a Welsh Corgi coin as well, but received another Retriever. I was told to return the retriever which I did. Haven't received the Welsh Corgi yet though - still waiting.

Did you get the activation code of the coin! It doesn't work with the tracking number only! :)

Also.. did you check the O's and 0's (zero), The B and the 8.... The 1 with I...

Sometimes it is a mess with the tracking number! :D

The dog is just a sticker?? what do you mean.... a sticker... a comon one.. like the ones that we see sometimes in logbooks and sometimes in letters...???

Is there a photo of the coin... I am curious!

I know that sometimes they use laminated photos of a real animal and they glue it to the design.... are you talking about that?

Did you get the activation code of the coin! It doesn't work with the tracking number only! :)

Also.. did you check the O's and 0's (zero), The B and the 8.... The 1 with I...

Sometimes it is a mess with the tracking number! :D

The dog is just a sticker?? what do you mean.... a sticker... a comon one.. like the ones that we see sometimes in logbooks and sometimes in letters...???

Is there a photo of the coin... I am curious!

I know that sometimes they use laminated photos of a real animal and they glue it to the design.... are you talking about that?

I have over 60 trackables (what can I say, I am an addict) and have never had this much trouble with a geocoin/travelbug/trackable... EVER!!! I did receive a tracking number as well as an activation code, which was not valid. I have contacted Rising Sun Mint and have not had success in receiving a proper activation code. I don't usually fool around with activation codes - copy and paste from sent email to activation page at GC.com. Tracking number is very clear and contains all letters that can't be messed up with other letters (R's, V's, T's...) so I don't think that is the problem either.

As for it being a sticker...

The coin itself is a metal (copper) coin with engraving on one side. On the other side, there is a round dog image. It may be a photgraph, however, when scratched the paint flakes right off (so now my coin has a big white scratch across it... nice) It's not the typical laminated photo coin where there is a plastic coating over the image... the Tribute to Pepper coins are a good example of those... these are more like a round decal someone has printed and stuck on a pre-minted coin with glue or adhesive. The edges don't seem to come loose (I have been playing with it to determine if it is legit) but there is what looks like adhesive on the edge of the coin... you know how when you put tape on something and when you remove the tape there is a residue? Like that...

I too was supposed to receive a corgi one as well and got two retrievers... didn't send the other one back (I refused) and was given a 50% refund of my order.

hmm.... is that the one that it is a 1 oz copper and it is in an airtight capsule???

I am wondering... according to what I found, there are 500 minted.... so... why there is no icon???

Yup, that's the one! Except they don't actually come with the airtight containers... the seller lied about that... all you get is the coin in a little plastic bag.

I am sorry my friend! I didn't see your profile that you have many coins and I didn't know... I just posted that to be sure! :(

It is quite strange that there is a problem with the tracking number if it is like that.... is there a possibility that the tracking number was taken by somewhere else and not from Groundspeak.... (I do not know from where the numbers are coming from... but I know that there are some activation numbers that are not recognized in GC but they are for other things... I read that somewhere...) ....but again... if some already activeted a coin???

As I saw... the metal design of the coin is the same, so.. the maker is justchanging the sticker and... here it is... a new coin! :(

Hmm... I have a peper coin out travelling and I have discovered one too and It is a lovely coin!! that was in my mind when I was writing ! The job in Peper's coin is very good! In the one you bought....

Hmm.... the coin was just on a plastic bag... then it is not airtight! :)

the plastic flips are not airtight for sure! In my oppinion.... even the zip bags are not airtight! After some time, the coin doesn't have the brightness it used to have... just because of the air! (I know that for sure! I am a coin and banknote collector, so... :D )

I did some digging and it appears that they are a manufacturer in China that is doing distribution through California. They are legitimate since some of the geocoins are activated out there. But it looks like they do not have unique icons. It looks like a mass production at the lowest cost possible with sticker pictures and no icons. They have a lot of feedback. But as with any seller, it is worth reading through.

I ordered a Black Scorpion coin from ameropaintball on the 20th of this month. I have not received it yet.

It says trackable at gc.com in the photo. If not I'm only out $5.25.

$5.25 adds up pretty quickly if he has sold a lot of coins to others. Report him to ebay and give the negative feedback....

I ordered a Black Scorpion coin from ameropaintball on the 20th of this month. I have not received it yet.

It says trackable at gc.com in the photo. If not I'm only out $5.25.

$5.25 adds up pretty quickly if he has sold a lot of coins to others. Report him to ebay and give the negative feedback....

Agreed.. ebay puts the onus on the sellers and if it is a bad seller it definitely needs reported

i was wondering when we would get the 1st rip-off complaint here about this mint and ebay seller. i hope those people that posted on the "fake templars" thread commenting on "why the big fuss?", will now understand why legitimate coiners are so concerned! these people have sold hundreds and possibly thousands, of so called cheap "geocoins", and many of the people that bought them, will NEVER activate these geocoins, so they have no way on earth of knowing whether their tracking number and activation code is bogus or not! these con artists may have even bought a few "good or real" tracking numbers and stamped them on a few coins just to cast some doubt as to whether they are ripping people off or not. this will allow them to keep selling indefinitely. so, sadly, there will be many people ripped off in this scam, and they will now be hesitant about buying geocoins. as the saying goes..."once bitten...twice shy". i sure hope more people come forward and voice their complaints! :)

Edited by Odyssey Voyager

i was wondering when we would get the 1st rip-off complaint here about this mint and ebay seller. i hope those people that posted on the "fake templars" thread commenting on "why the big fuss?", will now understand why legitimate coiners are so concerned! these people have sold hundreds and possibly thousands, of so called cheap "geocoins", and many of the people that bought them, will NEVER activate these geocoins, so they have no way on earth of knowing whether their tracking number and activation code is bogus or not! these con artists may have even bought a few "good or real" tracking numbers and stamped them on a few coins just to cast some doubt as to whether they are ripping people off or not. this will allow them to keep selling indefinitely. so, sadly, there will be many people ripped off in this scam, and they will now be hesitant about buying geocoins. as the saying goes..."once bitten...twice shy". i sure hope more people come forward and voice their complaints! :)

AMEN Odyssey Voyager!!

As I had two of this coin, I nwas originally going to donate one to an upcoming event as a prize. Guess what I am not going to be doing now... and guess what I plan on telling anyone I can about Rising Sun Mint. For a company that's just starting out, negative feedback will hurt them pretty fast.

Please try and help spread the word of this fraudulent company to prevent others from getting hurt.

I am sorry my friend! I didn't see your profile that you have many coins and I didn't know... I just posted that to be sure! :(

It is quite strange that there is a problem with the tracking number if it is like that.... is there a possibility that the tracking number was taken by somewhere else and not from Groundspeak.... (I do not know from where the numbers are coming from... but I know that there are some activation numbers that are not recognized in GC but they are for other things... I read that somewhere...) ....but again... if some already activeted a coin???

As I saw... the metal design of the coin is the same, so.. the maker is justchanging the sticker and... here it is... a new coin! :(

Hmm... I have a peper coin out travelling and I have discovered one too and It is a lovely coin!! that was in my mind when I was writing ! The job in Peper's coin is very good! In the one you bought....

Hmm.... the coin was just on a plastic bag... then it is not airtight! :)

the plastic flips are not airtight for sure! In my oppinion.... even the zip bags are not airtight! After some time, the coin doesn't have the brightness it used to have... just because of the air! (I know that for sure! I am a coin and banknote collector, so... :D )

Well, isn't it possible that ANY 6 digits could be printed as a "tracking number" whether they are legit or not? I mean, if they are producing fake coins, they aren't going to care if the code is already activated... or if the activation code doesn't match it. Any 6 digits could work - I can think of random 6 digit numbers off the top of my head. Oh well.

I had my doubts about this company when I saw the misspelling on the above coin. But I bid on one of their Zombie Permit coins anyways. Received the coin. Its not a top quality looking coin. Received it in a sealed coin holder. Emailed them for the activation code. Was going to save it for an event donation. But decided just now to give the tracking number and activation code a try. They worked. Recognized the coin as "Zombie Permit Geocoin." Icon is the generic coin icon.

Edited by Great Scott!

...decided just now to give the tracking number and activation code a try. They worked. Recognized the coin as "Zombie Permit Geocoin." Icon is the generic coin icon.

i hope the invalid activation code was just a rare occurance, and that all the other tracking codes from this seller are indeed legitimate. there really is no law against flooding the market with low quality, crappy geocoins...lol...they are currently selling 64 geocoin items on ebay this week. :wub:

Funny thing, I ordered several of those "golden retriever" coins only because they are a print MISTAKE. The picture is NOT a golden retriever but is a Yellow Labrador instead. So I emailed them about it and this is the response I got back.

"Hi there ya its my fault.. i was not thinking and attached the wrong picture to my girl who does the designs (In china they know nothing about dogs) well they do but only for eating purposes.

Anyways ya there like 5 bucks ... i struck 250 pcs wont strike more dogs :wub:"

Thanks

shawn

I knew they were low quality however I find humor in printing mistakes on currency, etc. and wanted a couple before they were gone.

Still haven't recieved them, though.

Hope they come through.

Funny thing, I ordered several of those "golden retriever" coins only because they are a print MISTAKE. The picture is NOT a golden retriever but is a Yellow Labrador instead. So I emailed them about it and this is the response I got back.

"Hi there ya its my fault.. i was not thinking and attached the wrong picture to my girl who does the designs (In china they know nothing about dogs) well they do but only for eating purposes.

Anyways ya there like 5 bucks ... i struck 250 pcs wont strike more dogs :("

Thanks

shawn

I knew they were low quality however I find humor in printing mistakes on currency, etc. and wanted a couple before they were gone.

Still haven't recieved them, though.

Hope they come through.

i got a good laugh out of those when i saw them at ebay, too. :wub: i certainly hope they didn't pay $5.00 for each one! for a little more they could have used an established mint company with much better quality control and much nicer finished item. i wonder why the auction description says there were 500 made, when they mentioned to you that only 250 were produced? anyway, let us know if you have any problems with the tracking code or activation code once you receive them.

Edited by Odyssey Voyager

I'm guessing Rising Sun Mint is ameropaintball. I have resisted the temptation of his 100% nickel, aluminium and copper investments. Adding different stickers and tracking numbers to these "coins" don't make em geocoins in my book. I imagine he is making a couple of bucks per coin and even more per geocoin.

How many designs were approved ?

How many tracking numbers did he buy for each design ?

Did he mint more coins for each design than he had tracking numbers for ?

Did he put bogus numbers on the extras ?

Or is he just inept and stuffed up the numbers on multiple coins ?

Should Groundspeak invalidate all his trackings numbers asap in order to save the reputation of trackable geocoins ?

If not, should we all buy circular saws and adhesive labels and get to work making junk geocoins ? :wub:

Edited by haysonics

A snippet from Groundspeak's Geocoin Tracking Policy

Design Considerations:

1. The final design of each geocoin must be approved by Groundspeak prior to production. Designs must be family friendly and may not include modified versions of the geocaching.com logo.

3. All trackable coins must bear the text, “Trackable on Geocaching.com" or “Track on Geocaching.com”

So, how did this geocoin with the error get the thumbs up from GS?

I'm sorry to say, but I bring it up because it is a risk we all must consider ...

This is giving me a bad taste for all geocoins and geocoin collecting. Since I only activate a few of my coins, it makes me worry that I will get a bad one in a purchase or trade or even mission, and might not know it is bad, and pass it on in a sale or trade or mission, and not know it is bad... This could really happen to any of us, as these FORGERIES make their way into the marketplace.

I also saw the lab picture and knew he made a mistake. I wasn't interested though because I don't have a lab although I wouldn't mind having a golden. LOL.

I'd also like to know if Groundspeak sold him a bunch of numbers just to know if that part could be legitimate.

Edited by LadyBee4T

A snippet from Groundspeak's Geocoin Tracking Policy

Design Considerations:

1. The final design of each geocoin must be approved by Groundspeak prior to production. Designs must be family friendly and may not include modified versions of the geocaching.com logo.

3. All trackable coins must bear the text, “Trackable on Geocaching.com" or “Track on Geocaching.com”

So, how did this geocoin with the error get the thumbs up from GS?

My guess is that it didn't... They probably misspelled it on purpose in order to bypass any type of suits.

I also saw the lab picture and knew he made a mistake. I wasn't interested though because I don't have a lab although I wouldn't mind having a golden. LOL.

I'd also like to know if Groundspeak sold him a bunch of numbers just to know if that part could be legitimate.

Selling bunches of tracking numbers? Well, that's an open invitation for unscrupulous people to flood the marketplace with forgeries and cheap rubbish.

I bought a mind tricks coin from this seller on ebay about a month back. I had no problems with the activation code, but the coin itself was of poor quality and it took about a month to get it. I bought it for only $1.51 and .99 shipping so I'm not out a whole lot, but I wouldn't recommend anyone buy from them.

Wow, they seem to be pretty good at marketing things to people who have no knoweledge of what they are collecting. They have so many coins for sale...many of them are 1 gram of .999 silver...that's less than half of a dime. Some people will buy them because they didn't read the pages. I really love the german silver ones with the note "German silver has no silver content" so I guess they are .999 pure...Umm...What??

this seller is a scam artist for sure.

Well... in that... German silver is a name of a metal mix that looks like silver but it is not! It is also known as Nickel silver... I think!

It is just like the Nordik gold! It is not gold! :wub:

To tell you the truth now... who cars if the coin is 999% pure nickel or copper...

This is mostly for silver, gold, platinium....

The only thing to say... this is pure nickel is so people who have nickel allergy not to buy it... :wub:

Now about Gerocaching..... WOW!!! The guy is far from our time! He invented a new game! IT is the greek geocaching! you do that while you are eating a Gyro! I hope you know Gyros! :(

He just made a small spelling mistake... but sometimes... this can happen... if the Gyros is very tasty! :D

Well... in that... German silver is a name of a metal mix that looks like silver but it is not! It is also known as Nickel silver... I think!

It is just like the Nordik gold! It is not gold! :wub:

To tell you the truth now... who cars if the coin is 999% pure nickel or copper...

This is mostly for silver, gold, platinium....

The only thing to say... this is pure nickel is so people who have nickel allergy not to buy it... :wub:

Now about Gerocaching..... WOW!!! The guy is far from our time! He invented a new game! IT is the greek geocaching! you do that while you are eating a Gyro! I hope you know Gyros! :(

He just made a small spelling mistake... but sometimes... this can happen... if the Gyros is very tasty! :D

Exactly...he's using that to fool unsuspecting people into thinking the coins are worth more an investments. Notive the huge pictures but the weight is 1 gram on some. Haha, Even some gold coins at 5 grains..that's 1/3 of a gram, which is less than hals of a dime. He has put great care into writing so that he is not telling any lies though. No one can make a claim against his auction, even though they get scammed(suckers)

there's a site called toolhaus that will search for all negative feedback. It's great so you don't have to wade through all the positive. even if someone has 99.9 positive, it's good to read the negative and see how they handle things when there's a problem. Anyway, back on topic...

If they are selling junky geocoins, that's one thing...you can tell from the pictures...however if they are selling coins with bogus codes that would be different aside from a possible code error(which could happen to anyone) They are selling low quality, but I hope the code problems are only errors.

Gyro Caching...Yummy!! I'm on the way!!

Cyro Caching is defined as eating Gyros from the Mad Greek in Primm, NV as you attempt a new world record for Caches in 24 hours on the Trail of the Gods!! It's Greek food, but the game is All American...Sorry Nikos.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=245311

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT

Black Scorpion Coin Update

I did receive my Black Scorpion Geocoin today. Shipping was a little slow.

I e-mailed the link in the eBay auction and received my activation code within 30 mins. and it activated just fine.

The front is a photograph that is attached somehow, but the coin is worth what I paid, $5.25.

Instead of some of you coming up with Crazy Conspiracy's (GET ON YOUR TIN FOIL HATS)

Why not contact them and ask them ????

Geocaching@RisingSunMint.Com

I mean it is on there ebay account ???

Whatever just an idea .. Or you can continue to act like a bunch of old lady's .

ROFL :P

Well if you read my post above I did try to contact them and I didn't get any answer whatsoever. But I guess to you it doesn't count because I contacted them through ebay. AND for your info I am a middle aged lady and that is what we do--ask questions. :blink::P

Basically what they are doing is selling very low quality coins with some tracking numbers that don't work and some that do. I bet no one would steal these if they were released into the wild.

Instead of some of you coming up with Crazy Conspiracy's (GET ON YOUR TIN FOIL HATS)

Whatever just an idea .. Or you can continue to act like a bunch of old lady's .

Well if you read my post above I did try to contact them and I didn't get any answer whatsoever. But I guess to you it doesn't count because I contacted them through ebay. AND for your info I am a middle aged lady and that is what we do--ask questions. :blink::P

Grandma-1.jpg

I just couldn't leave it alone!

ILYK
Edited by drneal

Says someone who has an account with no cache finds and no travelers listed. :blink:

Either you are nothing more than a sock-puppet account or you have no idea about what you are talking about. Or both! I'm thinking both...

ROFL ;)

Well if you read my post above I did try to contact them and I didn't get any answer whatsoever. But I guess to you it doesn't count because I contacted them through ebay. AND for your info I am a middle aged lady and that is what we do--ask questions. :P:P

Grandma-1.jpg

I just couldn't leave it alone!

ILYK

Neal Why did you have to go and post that picture of me? You know I didn't have time to put my makeup on!!!! :blink::P

ROFL :blink:

I have contacted them. NUMEROUS times. I got one response that was 6 letters, my supposed activation code. NOTHING else. 5 emails later (thru ebay AND to the actual mint) and nope...nada... nothing.... zip... zilch. They REFUSE to speak to me... that or they can't understand my emails... one or the other. :S

p.s. I am 21... not an old lady by any stretch of the imagination. So before you post BS posts, why not ask questions rather than getting snippy about it?!?!

GOLDEN RETRIEVER COIN UPDATE:

I received an additonal email from the company with 6 letters... a different activation code than I was originall given (original activation code = BASUKU... new activation code M0BUSU). :P

Low and behold, the new activation code actually WORKED!?!?!?!? :blink: Perhaps there was just a mix-up with the activation code? Or perhaps I just bugged them enough (5 emails) that they broke down and figured out an activation code that actually works?

All I know is that I will NEVER buy from Rising Sun Mint ever again, and I hope everyone else thinks twice about it as well. Let's try to stop crappy geocoins from flooding the market! :P

I just wanted to let you know that I have contacted Rising Sun Mint in regards to the issues presented in this thread. The coin codes on their geocoins should be active on geocaching.com. If anyone else runs into issues with the tracking numbers or activation codes, please send an email to contact@geocaching.com. Put the email attention to me and I’ll be happy to work with Rising Sun Mint to get the issue resolved.

I am now managing Groundspeak's trackable item code program, so if you ever have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me.

Happy caching!

Annie

I recieved my Welsh Corgi coin from The Rising Sun mint today. They exchanged it for the mistaken Golden Retiever that I sent back. (at my expense) These coins are not great quality - the dogs are just stickers, they do come in plastic cases. The one I tried to activate worked fine, they did respond to my emails, and I paid less than $5.00 each for them so all in all I'm satistied with my deal with them at least.

My turn :blink: !

1. I like my tin foil hat...it stops the voices in my head (no it doesn't, yes it does, no it doesn't....) I even used my crayon to draw a Groundspeak emblem on it!

2. Welcome Love (Annie)

3. Although inexpensive (maybe even cheap,) these are not crappy coins...this is a crappy coin...

IMG_NEW-6-8.jpg

I'm feeling much better now.

ILYK

I recieved my Welsh Corgi coin from The Rising Sun mint today. They exchanged it for the mistaken Golden Retiever that I sent back. (at my expense) These coins are not great quality - the dogs are just stickers, they do come in plastic cases. The one I tried to activate worked fine, they did respond to my emails, and I paid less than $5.00 each for them so all in all I'm satistied with my deal with them at least.

Lucky you PaRacers! If you don't mind me asking, what kind of plastic case did they come in?

Thanks,

pasha

ROFL :blink:

to the brave soul that hides behind this "sock puppet" account...do you honestly think "rising sun mint" or the ebay seller "ameropaintball" and "central metal corp" (who appears to be working in conjuction with the mint) will give a truthful answer as to how they acquired the "knights templar geocoin" design, and were selling it on ebay, in violation of the original geocoin designers' rights?! hmmm...no crazy conspiracy theory needed here. they are in possession of stolen property, plain and simple, and at the very least, they are guilty of unethical practices. among these practices is selling inferior items to unsuspecting buyers. even a little old lady with sock puppets over her eyes can see that! peace.

Link to the Questionable ebay auction