How close is too close?

Darthgooch

Im currently working on a custom cache series and recently have been out sort of scouting locations for my finale. Last week i managed to find the perfect spot that had everything im looking for. I saved the coords to my GPS and when i came home and typed it in i discovered a cache less than 100 feet from me.

Bug-A-Loo Jamboree GC1455Q

So my first question is how close is too close to another persons cache?

Ive tried to contact the cache owner asking how they would personally feel with no response. I also offered to adopt the cache and simply update the coords to 90 feet away but the owner hasnt logged onto the site in quite some time.

The spot is perfect and id really like to use it if at all possible but im not trying to step on anyones hiking boots. Any advice?

Short answer, the saturation distance is 528 feet. Long answer the saturation distance is 528 feet. I suspect that 100 feet separation is a tad bit close. And it is not the other cache owners feeling about how close you are, it is the reviewers feelings. All of them feel 100 feet is too close. My advice is find a different spot.

Im currently working on a custom cache series and recently have been out sort of scouting locations for my finale. Last week i managed to find the perfect spot that had everything im looking for. I saved the coords to my GPS and when i came home and typed it in i discovered a cache less than 100 feet from me.

Ive tried to contact the cache owner asking how they would personally feel with no response. I also offered to adopt the cache and simply update the coords to 90 feet away but the owner hasnt logged onto the site in quite some time.

The spot is perfect and id really like to use it if at all possible but im not trying to step on anyones hiking boots. Any advice?

I'd ask you local reviewer, he/she may be cool with it.

Just an observation...evidently someone else thought it was the perfect spot for a cache. That is why there is one there already.

If you are able to write a non-offensive note to another cacher and say that your cache would make better use of the spot, or would be a "better" cache in that location, your diplomacy skills are a lot better than mine. :)

You did approach it the right way though, in asking to adopt the cache. Don't be discouraged if you are turned down though.

The saturation "rule" is not open to exceptions made by the cache owner, but made by the Reviewer. If your Reviewer is ok with it it will get published. Again, don't be discouraged if it is not approved.

With a little reading, you might find a creative way around the problem.

Good luck!!! :D

I also offered to adopt the cache and simply update the coords to 90 feet away but the owner hasnt logged onto the site in quite some time.

As long as the owner is still maintaining the cache, and there are no problems with it, why would you want to adopt it? If it is in a perfect spot, and is still being maintained, go find somewhere else.

If the owner wanted to give it up so you could have the spot, why would you adopt and move it. Why not archive it and set up a new cache?

Also, just because someone is no longer logging into the site on a regular basis, does not mean they are not maintaining their cache. I've seen caches still being taken care of by owners who haven't logged caches for years. Reading the cache page for this one it sounds like there are no current problems with the cache.

I would say let it go and find somewhere else.

Thanks for those of you who helped me so far.

I dont know if this wll have effect on any answers but the cache that i plan on placing will be the 9th cache in the series and will be a puzzle cache. You will have to visit the previous 8 caches to gather the necessary info to get the final coords. So technically the cache symbol wont appear next to the other cache.

The cache im tryng to place is inside a small cave and the other cache is at the base of a tree under a rock. I could go into details about the series but i dont think that will help the current situation.

Im still new to caching and caching etiquette so please forgve me if i am asking stupid questions. Im just trying to do this right the first time.

The fact that your final will be a mystery cache and the other is a regular has no bearing. It boils down to the physical location of the container. The guideline states 528ft minimum distance between caches.

Others have suggested contacting your reviewer. You should try that.

I think that execptions to the minimum distance would be allowed if, there is a 100ft wide river and no bridge nearby, a steep valley is between the caches, or something of that nature.

Your best bet is to find another location.

I think that execptions to the minimum distance would be allowed if, there is a 100ft wide river and no bridge nearby, a steep valley is between the caches, or something of that nature.

It would be interesting to know if that would work, or if it depends on the reviewer. One cache I tried once was about 400' from another cache, which happened to be 30' deep in a lake. Even though mine was on dry ground, it was not allowed.

100 feet is not likely to fly with your reviewer. As others pointed out the guideline is .1 mile (528 ft). A reviewer may let you fudge 20 or 30 feet, but 400? I really doubt it.

I'd suggest you immediately stop working on your caches, and Read The Guidelines. Had you done this first, you'd already know the distance that caches need to be from each other. There may already be other issues with your cache that you're not aware of.