How many people geocache with their dogs?

I am wondering how many people take their dogs with them when they go geocaching?

You bet! Max is always up for a hike, unlike caching friends or family members who have other demands on their time. I do most of my geocaching in county parks, and he gets a good run out of it. We often meet other hikers and dogs so he gets some socialization too. I'm fortunate that there are large parks nearby, and while dogs are supposed to be leashed there are plenty of places they can run free. Two downsides, though: the yucky things they invariably find to roll in, and ticks.

I frequently cache with my dogs. I have two dogs (a cocker spaniel puppy and a 2 year old Brittany Spaniel). The Brittany goes a lot of places with me, including caching and the office. The puppy hasn't matured enough to take to the office, but has come with me on a couple caching trips so far.

Walking through the woods always seemed like the perfect activity to bring my dogs.

My lhasa apso loves to go geocaching. If you so much as say the word, Juneau runs to the door. Lately, we've learned a lot about leash manners while caching. Since she shows aptitude for finding things, we're working on learning what containers smell like. I just might have a secret weapon in development!

My wife "pnutbeagle" and I geocache with our 2 beagles (Spike and Peanut) so much that they have their own account as "The Monster Beagles"(with >400 finds). They are welcome companions with the other geocachers in the Thunder Bay area, also. They also make so much noise that we never have any encounters with any wildlife (bears, etc.)

MacKenzie mostly allows me to come along when he goes caching... :)

Some of our cache runs he gets to stay warm, dry and cozy in the van while I grab the cache, but for the most part our cache runs are designed to get us both out on trails for the exercise.

He has his own set of caching equipment but he lets me carry the GPS.... :D

Didn't think about the dogs when getting into geocaching, mostly saw it as an activity for my wife and myself as she thought it sounded like fun. After a few trips we took the dogs on one and now they come along on most of our "truck based" hunts. Haven't figured out how to strap them onto the ATV's yet. Bo, the black lab weighs in at 100 lbs and Maggie the Golden Retriever mix hits about 60 lbs and still growing. Maggie actually found one before we did once. Bo's hunting highlite was on a cache called "Well Crap". He took that one literally. (we cache in the wilderness).

Yes. And my dog even has his own basic account so he can log the caches. Plus he owns a TB and even has a cache hide of his own. He's a smart dog (golden ret).

We just added a rescued black lab pup to the family, so she'll be introduced to geocaching and we'll see if she's good enough to warrant her own BM account.

We occasionally take the lap dog (fox terrier) along on local hunts (that's 3 dogs in the house). But she's not keen on cold weather outings, so more often than not she stays home on guard duty.

I have taken my dog Geocaching. She's a lab-collie cross and got very impatient while we were searching for the cache at GZ. That's the border collie side coming out. But when we took her on a massive 6 hour long session she got a bit worn out and by the end was too tired to run any longer. That's the labrador side then, I guess!

I actually just got back from taking Inga (our 2 year old Black Lab) out for a quick walk and we found a cache. She and I are almost always out together on the trails in the winter and summer. She's usually very patient with me when I have to take more than a few minutes to stop and search for a cache. Check out my gallery if you want to see pictures. I'm sure there's about 100 of her in there.

We spent the day caching with our two labs in Island Lake State Park today. Our black lab puppy couldn't resist all of the puddles left over from the melted snow! She actually likes to lay down in the puddles. I kind of dread having to turn in my lease car because the pups have really messed it up! It is worth it, though, because they have a great time. The puppy also tried to run off with one of the cache containers today. She's also in the habit of running at me full blast when I call her. She actually took me out today! My husband thought it was pretty funny when he saw me laying on the ground because the pup clipped my legs. Although she is still a puppy at 10 months old, she is about 80 pounds of muscle! The dogs in my profile picture are Xena our yellow lab, and Socks a lab/sheppard mix. Socks passed away a couple years ago. She was an awesome dog and I'm sure she would have loved geocaching. Our new black lab puppy is named Gabby. She's the crazy one, but we just love her to death!

Tucker the Dog has been a dedicated caching companion since late in 2009. He's a springer spaniel and loves to hike -- the longer the better. In fact, one of the big reasons we chose that breed was their ability in the field. When my friends tell me it's too far, or too high, I can count on Tucker to come with me.

He doesn't log his finds online, but instead relies on me to track them in an offline database -- he does have his own account though...

We / I do... the dog is the reason we got into it. I dont go without her that often (and feel kinda guilty when i do - odd isnt it?)

Truth be known, I've run into more cachers who recognize the chewer from photos i've posted on caches than spotted my suspicious behaviour/GPS etc...

Richmond-20101111-00013-1.jpg

Great photos BossieAussie! We are still accepting pics until March 31, 2011 for the 3rd annual geocaching with your dog video. You can upload them or send them to pics@dogcacher.com. There is also a facook page called Dog Caching.

I take my guys with me all the time. We just submitted some pictures to www.dogcacher.com, hopefully they'll include us in the video they are putting together!

I don't have a dog, but I did have a geocaching rat! His name was Guinness. He just liked to go with us everywhere, I don't know if he was particularly into the geocaching per se.

Here are some pictures of Guinness "geocaching":

3e0738d9-cb63-419f-bffe-94f85bd667cc.jpg

960a705d-f87f-448d-a3d3-b8e7e465e5a8.jpg

7159ccca-c759-45ba-abad-941304456e7d.jpg

Edit: Removed last picture, it was too big.

Edited by nymphnsatyr