Overly sensitive cache owner?

I went and found a cache yesterday (GC1Q4VG), and imagine my surprise that soon after logging it, the CO archived it! With the comment:

Taking this listing off the cache page.Tired of people complaining about the nice walk around the pond, feeding the geese, and generally everything else.Thought it would be a nice spot for people to come and eat lunch, fish a little and enjoy the day, but these days, people expect the cache to be dropped off at their house! On top of which, I've gone out into the deep woods to some pretty lame caches (containing nothing worth the trip), and yet, never do they recieve a tenth of the comments I recieve for mine. So, thank you all for taking the time out to get some free stuff, and enjoy the summer!

The cache has 21 finds, 0 DNFs.

:) Did I unknowingly commit some type of geocaching faux pas?

My Found It! Log:

March 27 by ZeLonewolf (1416 found)

A lovely day for a walk outside. Found the cache easily, however it has taken on a lot of water (which I dumped out). TNLNSL.

After reading the whole page I dont think your the one who put him over the edge

I'd have to agree with sabrefan7. Your log was very appropriate and nothing offensive. After reading a lot of the logs I think the cache owner needs to mellow out a bit and not take comments from other cachers about geese too seriously. I think it was just a coincidence that you logged your visit on a day when the cache owner was in a "fowl" mood. Happy caching!!!! :)

Edited by Michigan Cacheman

Sounds like the owner is just burned out and tired of maintaining caches. We had a guy like that in my area. At one time a prolific hider and finder, then he started ranting and raging at other cachers (in the local forums and in private emails) about various injustices he was experiencing, and then pretty much just dropped out of the game, mostly without even archiving his own distressed caches.

I didn't think there was a single log that I'd consider a "complaint." Even the ones that were not heaps of glowing praise were informative. I think it's helpful if someone comments that a trail is muddy after it rains, or is buggy in the springtime, or there is poison ivy in the area, so I can make an informed decision about whether to look for the cache or not.

something is not quite right in his archiving log....

Tired of people complaining about the nice walk around the pond

how can exactly saying that you had a nice walk even remotely be considered a complaint? :)

sounds like a nice spot, go place your own cache there :D

Edited by t4e

I'd agree with sabrefan7 and Michigan Cacheman.

The CO apparently got put out over people being frightened by the geese. We don't know, but he may have other issues in life that precipitated this action. It seems that most liked the cache and I hope he "comes around" to re-activating it.

I don't fear geese and you apparently don't either, but many have not had experience with the critters -- they can be intimidating to those that do not realize just how aggressive they can be. My read (from his/her notes) is that the CO may have overreacted to some of the (other) posts. Maybe too, it was the high trail/low trail thing!

sounds like a nice spot, go place your own cache there :)

Yes, that's exactly what I'm planning to do! I may even give him the 500' radius in case he changes his mind...

I believe that a CO can't just unarchive a cache on a whim. It will need to go back to the reviewer and the CO will need to justify why it should be unarchived. I think that when a cache is archived the location becomes "fair game." You might want to avoid placing a cache there anyway - sounds like the CO is a few bricks short of a load if you know what I mean.

I believe that a CO can't just unarchive a cache on a whim. It will need to go back to the reviewer and the CO will need to justify why it should be unarchived. I think that when a cache is archived the location becomes "fair game." You might want to avoid placing a cache there anyway - sounds like the CO is a few bricks short of a load if you know what I mean.

you're right about unarchiving a cache

he/she seems to be a very sporadic cacher, no finds since november, so maybe was just a phase and the novelty of caching has grown old for him/her but than again based on the archive log you never know if a new placement will affect the "brick load" in a negative way :)

I agree the archiving seems unwarranted and Yes, do put a new cache there. Looks like the kind of location I would trek to. It's always a treat to be in an urban area and be able to look something larger than a key holder.

It might be best to include a warning about the friendly geese in your description. Some people are wary of them and some are turned off by goose poop everywhere. I'm not. I found a cache in the Denver area last spring that was four or five feet from an active goose nest. Retrieving was a bit of challenge but the nest owner got distracted by other geese getting to close and I made the grab.

sounds like a nice spot, go place your own cache there :)

Yes, that's exactly what I'm planning to do! I may even give him the 500' radius in case he changes his mind...

Fortunately I had a fully-loaded ammo box just ready to go -- replacement cache is now placed and submitted! If it gets muggled? Psssh, oh well, life goes on.

The logs were pretty entertaining. Every couple of finds or so the CO jumped in with something like "C'mon you wimps! Scared of a few geese? Failure is not an option!" I could visualise him standing on the path, in full drill seargent uniform, whipping the cachers into shape, "Hustle up, ladies! You ain't taking a stroll around the pond! Mow those geese down! Seek and destroy! Failure is NOT an option!"

Yet his other hide seems to be doing fine. It sounds like a great cache. Hopefully the CO is feeling better now.

On the subject of geese, they can be very frightening to people unfamiliar with them. I live in Canada Goose country, and protective ganders have sent me scurrying down the trail away from their nests more than once!

The COs reactions to the logs does seem way out of proportion. However, I wonder if he may be having some medical problems that cause his unusual anger?

It was nice meeting some of the geocachers out there recently, and I hope that I'm up to doing more of it this coming summer (not sure with disabilities)!

The cache sounds like one I would like to do. The logs would make me happy if it were my cache.

Not knowing what disabilities he is facing I think I will give the guy a break and assume there is something else in his life that is bothering him, and manifesting itself in his notes. :)

Canadian geese can get quite aggressive, and a little frightening.

A few years ago, I pulled into my workplace a little late but found an open parking spot close to the entrance nevertheless. I thought I was lucky to find such a easy, quick spot. I did notice a nesting pair off geese directly next to it when I got out. On lunch break I was going out to my car, and I noticed the pair of geese away from the nest about 50 feet across from it. Apparently they thought I was heading towards the unattended nest, rather than my car and made a bunch of noise. The male got airborne and swooped down and gave me a strong strike in the neck. Although I swatted him away, I nearly dislocated my shoulder in the process. I was worried that he would try to peck my eyes out. I was going to file a OSHA recordable accident report if it did not get better, but a few people thought it was funny...happens all the time.. :D:)

Some people take a neutral comment and think it as innocent and some will think the same comment is aggressive. It's human nature.

The tendency to skew the neutral comment towards positive or negative is within the one skewing it. It's not a refection of someone making the comment.

Let's analyze.

"The geese seemed particularly aggressive in this area".

Opinion one

"This area is dangerous and the cache should be archived because the geese are dangerous".

Opinion two

"This is an interesting hide. We were able to experience the wonderful diversity of natures magnificent animals and their attempts to maintain their hold on nature. What a remarkable thing to witness"

Both could be the meaning behind the statement. However a particular person reads the statement is an indicator of their personality.

Just sayin.

It appears this CO is a negative person. If they see comments as negatives then perhaps they should just refrain from caching all together.

Wow, CO is calling his fellow cachers wimps. I think that the thickness of ones skin indicates wimpyness. So who is the wimp? The parson that over compensates by using something generally considered tough for their handle?

He must have though that it was a bad spot for a cache in the first place but couldn't resist the urge to place it causing him to see every non beaming comment as a slate against his choice. Then pushed himself right over the edge.

Sorry if this offends, but in reading the logs, it seems the CO did more complaining than anyone else. :wub:

I just read through and, yup...your right.

Over sensitive and over reacting to peoples 'comments' as thats all they are. People commented on the Geese and their actions but I didnt see one complaint...

Some people read other people's words how they want to read them, depending on how they feel. Written words often cause trouble because you can't interpret the writer's emotions. Sounds like the CO was already feeling bad when he read about the geese chasing someone and then the last entry saying he had to pour water out of the cache. He took simple observations and made them fit his mood. Sounds like he had a good thing going there, but he dropped the ball.

Canadian geese can get quite aggressive, and a little frightening.

So can American geese. Or even Canada geese who live in the USA.

Nothing a nice boot couldn't take care of.. :wub: Or I just set my 6 year old loose. She's been documented as having cleared out about 2000 geese from a golf course once. Quite the scene when they all get up and fly away in fear.