geocaching and metal detecting

I have a friend who lost his keys, possibly while geocaching. I'm trying to talk him into getting a metal detector to find them. Of course if he gets the metal detector, I would just have to borrow it for something. ~L

I know there have been a few caches that would have been easier to find if I had a metal detector with me.

Funny you should post this, when I first started caching (not long ago) I thought that taking out a metal detector would be a good way to find caches quickly out in the wilderness once you got close. Though it would take some sport out of it. I also resolved to use as little metal in my caches as possible too, lol.

On my fifth visit to find one cache I used my detector. The overhead cover had my gps leading me in a 100 foot circle and back again. Once I found it I realized the clue wasn't any help and the cache was border line illegal as far as the burying caches guidelines goes. Swiz

Hi

I own several metal detectors. Amongst them, three units that can easily back-packed.

Metal detecting is my main hobby, combined with photography.

Still have to get in motion to start geocaching (as soon as I solve my Etrex H 's interface cable problem).

I suppose a detector can help to find some of the buried caches, but I still have to find out.

J. :)

I have a Whites Classic III. I haven't been as active since I returned from Guam in 1987. Funny detecting on Guam was much more productive than here in Washington. When I was there Guam had only been populated for about 18 years, yet I found many old silver coins. More than here in Washington that has logging camps and railroads dating back two hundred years. :)

I have always wanted to purchase a metal detector but not so much to use while geocaching.

The idea of looking for stuff that others aren't interests me... hmm.. wait a minute!

Anyone know of any good metal detecting sites / forums I could check out?

(sorry for going a bit off topic)

I have always wanted to purchase a metal detector but not so much to use while geocaching.

The idea of looking for stuff that others aren't interests me... hmm.. wait a minute!

Metal Detecting

Another One

One More

The Last

There are more but these should get you started.

Metal Detecting

Another One

One More

The Last

There are more but these should get you started.

Thank you Sir or Madam... that was what I was looking for. B)

Yes, kellyco.com is an excellent site.

We use a metal detector to locate NGS benchmarks that are buried under dirt, etc. We used it once to located a "buried" geocache after an extended search.

How 'good' of a metal detector do you need for buried benchmarks? Will a cheap security style one off e-Bay do?

depends on how deeply buried they are.

Are there many people that geocache and also do metal detecting? :P

Years ago before geocaching that and photography was my main hobby. I still have three detectors but haven't used them in years.

I tried using one of those airport security wands for finding a 99999999999999 rocks "clue: under a rock" hides and it didn't work. those wands only work like 1.5 inches away from metal.

I've beening doing metal detecting and photography for a while. I just recently started geocaching and bring all the junk with me (gotta stop doing that - the long hikes are killing me). The metal detector is just an old Radio Shack model. It has discrimination but I don't use that feature much because I want to find anything. At one of the places where I indulge in these hobbies a friend had found the breech of a flintlock gun. Rusty sure but what a thing to find. I've also been looking for a geodetic marker that's been reported as destroyed but near two that I've already found. The detector will pick up bottle caps to a depth of about 5-6 inches and the markers I'm looking for shouldn't be that deep and are made of brass or bronze. If I haven't heard anything from the detector for a while looking I toss down a coin just to make sure it's still working. I have used it geocaching when I couldn't find a cache but didn't have any luck with that (won't pick up plastic Lock & Locks :) ). Pretty soon I'll be heading out in the canoe to some of these spots so I'll have plenty of room for everything including a black and white video camera good to a depth of 60 feet (90 really but it only comes with 60 feet of cable). I hook that up to the input of a Sony video cam and feel like Jacques Cousteau. Of course there would have to be something really nice down there before I throw on the mask and fins..... :D

I used one with a group of people to find a cache that was placed prior to a 24 inch snowstorm. The first trip with it brought frustration and the second, I fired it up on the trail and shuffled towards the group when it went off. Found within a couple minutes of arrival.

I suppose a detector can help to find some of the buried caches, but I still have to find out.

J. :D

There aren't supposed to be any buried caches.

I sure coulda used a metal locator today. After hiking up a mountain for two hours, I spent another hour digging in the snow for a cache that hasn't been found, despite being there for three years.

No luck. :D