First Geocache Find!

dwright1969

Went out geocaching for the first time yesterday and loved it! It was a great family outing. It was my wife and I and my son and daughter ages 7 & 8 and we all loved it. We found three geocaches and took one TB. My daughter found the first one which really tickled her. All three were within a mile of my home. They were all fairly easy finds but were great to start out with. I like the PN-40 GPS we purchased too. I think I will be signing up for a premium membership so I can go paperless.

Duane

Excellent job. 3 for 3, huh? Don't get too used to that kind of average. :)

Read your previous before coming to this thread. You will really like the PN-40. Play with it a lot. As you do you will find other things it does that the manual doesn't really tell you about, at least not that you can understand.

I see you are also moving your first TB. Moving and uploading photos of them is our favorite thing to do. :D

Do remember to log your find (smiley) at Cockroach Cabin, where you picked the TB up at. As it stands, your page shows you have two finds.

Welcome to the addiction. Have fun and enjoy!

EDIT: Typo/spelling. Argghh!

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Read your previous before coming to this thread. You will really like the PN-40. Play with it a lot. As you do you will find other things it does that the manual doesn't really tell you about, at least not that you can understand.

I see you are also moving your first TB. Moving and uploading photos of them is our favorite thing to do. :D

Do remember to log your find (smiley) at Cockroach Cabin, where you picked the TB up at. As it stands, your page shows you have two finds.

I did log the find but Cockroach Cabin is logged as "Needs Maintenance" so for some reason this does not log as a "find".

Welcome to the game/addiction. I've been at it about a year and a half now and regret not learning about it sooner. Like you I also have a Delorme PN-40 and am loving it. You're doing very good on your perfect find percentages so far! I've stopped keeping track, but I think I DNF about 15% of the caches I search for. Just keep in mind when you start to get a few DNFs it's perfectly normal and if every cache we searched for was very easy to find this little addiction of ours would be pretty darned boring real fast. Keep moving the TBs and geocoins along their owners will really love you for it! Happy caching!!!! :)

I did log the find but Cockroach Cabin is logged as "Needs Maintenance" so for some reason this does not log as a "find".

As you've noticed the Needs Maintenance log will not get you your smiley and increase your find count. In addition to the Needs Maintenance log go back and do another log for that cache and as the type of note make it a Found It and then your stats will be accurate again. Doing 2 types of note logs is normal and appropriate if a cache needs maintenance. Again welcome and happy caching!!!! :(

You'll need to add your "Find" log separately. A "Needs Maintenance" log needs to be separate; if I revisit a cache I've already found just to drop a travel bug, and discover that it needs maintenance, my log shouldn't credit me with another find.

--Larry

Same here. I've known about Geocaching for years but never tried it until last weekend when I thought it would be a good idea as a daytime activity for my stag party. And it was! Good fun driving around the mountains in the Lake District. Although we only found 2 out of 5, that didn't matter :wub: