Questions on the Lowrance Endura Out&Back

Hi,

After four years, my old blue Garmen Legend broke down (toggle button problems) and it's time to buy a new one. I'm interested in the Lowrance Endura Out&Back, but after reading its review section on "Which GPS to Buy," I have a few questions about the unit.

I've read a bunch of people's posts saying that maps are hard to get for the Lowrance, and something about a 1.2/1.2 update necessary for the unit to function right. The Lowrence Endura Out&Back unit I saw in the store didn't even have main highways, much less topo maps. I really don't need detailed street maps, but it would be nice to at least have the main roads.

Are highway maps supposed to be included? If so, how do I get this fixed?

Are topo maps supposed to be included? If so, how do I get this fixed?

If neither of these maps are included, how do I download them, and how much are they?

If I buy the unit new online, is there a greater chance it will come with these maps already?

I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to technology, so any other hints and suggestions would really be appreciated. I'm especially interested in the Lowrance because it sounds like I'd be able to download files and go "paperless" geocaching with the unit. How has this worked for anyone?

Thanks!

Edited by Green_Traveler

I'll let someone else give you the details but here are some basics.

The software/firmware of the original units as they arrived at the stores was apparently lacking but Lowrance has been providing firmware upgrades and the units now perform as they were intended. It is my understanding additional firmware upgrades are under development.

The base map on the Out & Back, like most GPS base maps, is very limited in what it displays. It shows primary and secondary highways but not much else. Lowrance has decent map software available on microSD cards available by region. These maps have 20 ft. topo contours, roads, trails, points of interest, etc.

These microSD cards sell for $90 each from Lowrance but can be purchased from other providers (Cascade GPS) for about $70. Aerial and USGS topo maps can be downloaded for the unit from the MapSelect site. The topos are about $5 a quad. I don't know how much the aerials are but they are pricey.

More info regarding Lowrance topo maps can be found here: Lowrance Endura topo mapping

Edited by Indotguy

I'll let someone else give you the details but here are some basics.

The software/firmware of the original units as they arrived at the stores was apparently lacking but Lowrance has been providing firmware upgrades and the units now perform as they were intended. It is my understanding additional firmware upgrades are under development.

The base map on the Out & Back, like most GPS base maps, is very limited in what it displays. It shows primary and secondary highways but not much else. Lowrance has decent map software available on microSD cards available by region. These maps have 20 ft. topo contours, roads, trails, points of interest, etc.

These microSD cards sell for $90 each from Lowrance but can be purchased from other providers (Cascade GPS) for about $70. Aerial and USGS topo maps can be downloaded for the unit from the MapSelect site. The topos are about $5 a quad. I don't know how much the aerials are but they are pricey.

More info regarding Lowrance topo maps can be found here: Lowrance Endura topo mapping

The Endura Out&Back inlcudes primary roads provided by Navteq, it does not include any topographic mapping. You would either need to move up to the Safari at $299 and you will get 500' contour interval topographic maps or purcahse on of the detailed mapping cards suggested by Indotguy

We are currently running a promo on the mapping images from MapSelect.com they are currently $0.99 each for either topo, aerial or BLM images.

I hope this helps.

Thanks guys! From your posts, the Out&Back sounded just fine, and so I ordered it online. The product description did say that it included the main roads. As for topo, I don't think I'll really need them.

Just to clarify, do I need to do any of the updates? (1.1/1.2/1.3)?

Thanks!

I just got a new one and it was already updated.works great.After you get the unit,power it up and hold down the menu button for a few seconds and it will tell you the firmware version that it is running.

Thanks guys! From your posts, the Out&Back sounded just fine, and so I ordered it online. The product description did say that it included the main roads. As for topo, I don't think I'll really need them.

Just to clarify, do I need to do any of the updates? (1.1/1.2/1.3)?

Thanks!

The first thing that I would do when you get your new Out&Back is check the "about" screen to see what updates have been installed. To view the "About" screen, press the "Menu" button for about 5-7 seconds and it should appear.

The second data line should list the firmware that has been installed ie: 1.1, 1.21, 1.3

The 1.1 update fixes some issues with the basemap.

the 1.21 update fixes bugs and adds some new features.

the 1.3 update will add a Navionics viewer application.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Can anybody help me too. I've just got the out&back for Christmas but firstly; i cant seem to install it on my mac or my girlfriends windows laptop and secondly; i cant find any maps for the Uk.

Can anybody help me too. I've just got the out&back for Christmas but firstly; i cant seem to install it on my mac or my girlfriends windows laptop and secondly; i cant find any maps for the Uk.

Hi Have you tried Mapyx Quo?

thankyou, ill check it out now!

Hi Jamescarl88,

When you connect your Out&Back to either a MAC or PC it should just show up as Mass Storage device on both computers. You should then be able to view the Endura memory using either Windows Explorer or the MAC equivalent. GPX files can then be dragged and dropped in to the GPX folder, unplug the unit and go caching.

Regarding the maps avail for the UK please check out the Lowrance website for the UK.

If you continue to have issues feel free to send me a PM and we can get them resolved directly.

Cheers,

EnduraExpert

I just bought an Out & Back and it has problems connecting to my mac. I tried it on 2 different macs and it intermittently will work. Most of the time the unit just reboots or locks up. I also tried it on 3 windows computers and it worked every time. I emailed Lowrance to see if they had a fix. Still waiting to hear back.

Also, not reading great reviews on this forum for this GPS. Was it a mistake purchasing it? Any info or help would be great.

Thanks & Cheers!!!!

Gotwalp

Edited by gotwalp

I just bought an Out & Back and it has problems connecting to my mac. I tried it on 2 different macs and it intermittently will work. Most of the time the unit just reboots or locks up. I also tried it on 3 windows computers and it worked every time. I emailed Lowrance to see if they had a fix. Still waiting to hear back.

Also, not reading great reviews on this forum for this GPS. Was it a mistake purchasing it? Any info or help would be great.

Thanks & Cheers!!!!

Gotwalp

I can't be of any help to the first part of your thread.

As to the second, whether or not your purchase was a mistake is not for me to say. I will say there doesn't appear to be many Endura users frequently posting here. I for one had one (an Out & Back) and didn't like it. I get the impression there were others who felt the same. In the future you should probably consider doing your research BEFORE you make a purchase. :(

Edited by Indotguy

Thanks & Cheers!!!!

Gotwalp

As to the second, whether or not your purchase was a mistake is not for me to say. I will say there doesn't appear to be many Endura users frequently posting here. I for one had one (an Out & Back) and didn't like it. I get the impression there were others who felt the same. In the future you should probably consider doing your research BEFORE you make a purchase. :(

Thanks for the reply. I got a pretty good deal on it and since we are new to caching, I think it will be a great learning tool.

Thanks again!

Thanks & Cheers!!!!

Gotwalp

Thanks for the reply. I got a pretty good deal on it and since we are new to caching, I think it will be a great learning tool.

Thanks again!

If you got a good deal you did alright. They are not a bad unit to start out with.