I have an idea I want to run by everyone

So I was out caching today, and I though of a slightly bizarre idea. Basically the following:

Its an ammo crate sized container. The top is a solar panel. Inside is a small appliance type device that you plug a USB stick into, and it writes some code onto the USB stick. Its powered by said solar panel. I know waterproofing would be a hurdle.

This could be used a couple of ways. First, it could put a secret website or code phrase for the owner to verify you were at this cache on the stick. This could be handy for for like 5/5 + caches where the owner can't get to it very often. The other possibility is it places clues on the stick for a multicache or puzzle. It could be in depth then, like photos, topo maps, etc. Bear with me on this, I've been out caching all day, and I'm in "one of those stupors."

Also, Patent pending.

Also, if someone wants to make this- cool. Just send me one and then make your millions....

Ok, if you make millions remember the 50k would be life changing money for me.

Thanks- I'm a total newb and love this activity. I feel like I finally found something were all my passions line up and a community of people who are genuinely cool rather than concerned abotu seeming cool. I don't really think my idea is practical, but just something to daydream about for a few second.

So I was out caching today, and I though of a slightly bizarre idea. Basically the following:

Its an ammo crate sized container. The top is a solar panel. Inside is a small appliance type device that you plug a USB stick into, and it writes some code onto the USB stick. Its powered by said solar panel. I know waterproofing would be a hurdle.

This could be used a couple of ways. First, it could put a secret website or code phrase for the owner to verify you were at this cache on the stick. This could be handy for for like 5/5 + caches where the owner can't get to it very often. The other possibility is it places clues on the stick for a multicache or puzzle. It could be in depth then, like photos, topo maps, etc. Bear with me on this, I've been out caching all day, and I'm in "one of those stupors."

Also, Patent pending.

Also, if someone wants to make this- cool. Just send me one and then make your millions....

Thanks- I'm a total newb and love this activity. I feel like I finally found something were all my passions line up and a community of people who are genuinely cool rather than concerned abotu seeming cool. I don't really think my idea is practical, but just something to daydream about for a few second.

It sounds cool! Just do it.

Also, Patent pending.

It sounds cool! Just do it.

Yep. I'm a firm believer that many/most times it's easier to say, "I'm sorry," than to ask, "Please..."

First thing I see being a problem is durability. It'll need to handle a fair amount of rough handling and the ravages of weather. Not to mention the occasional curious critter.

Second problem is the number of folks who will have no interest in exposing their electronic toys to data of basically unknown origins.

I would find it pretty neat, but I can see how others would be wary of possibly spreading a virus or something like that.

First thing I see being a problem is durability. It'll need to handle a fair amount of rough handling and the ravages of weather. Not to mention the occasional curious critter.

Second problem is the number of folks who will have no interest in exposing their electronic toys to data of basically unknown origins.

I would find it pretty neat, but I can see how others would be wary of possibly spreading a virus or something like that.

My thoughts exactly.

My thoughts exactly.

And it would be a virus where it changes all the gpx and loc files you download to be off by 200 feet. :rolleyes:

Great idea!

The worst thing about great ideas is finding out someone did something just like it.

Talk to me by SuperGoober

Heck, even he didn't come up with it first.

Make sure to check out the spoiler videos

That.....is.....awesome.

I may have to drive the 300 miles to see it.

Possible Listing Guideline issues with the OP's cache design include the "no data downloads" guideline, the "no codeword caches" guideline, and/or the prohibition of Additional Logging Requirements, or "ALR's."

"no data downloads"

Fine, make a program to copy a file from the main directory of the thumb drive... data upload. It would only copy files named "Geocaching.txt" or something of the like.

"ALR's."

Include a paper log book for those who like doing it the old fashioned way. Make it a bonus smiley if you upload into the digital logbook.

I´m still trying to figure out, short of putting a whole computer in there, what type of computer memory you could use. I had an idea a while back to pick up a cheap old palm pilot to put into a cache as a digital log book.

I don't really think my idea is practical, but just something to daydream about for a few second.

If you set it up for people who have the kind of GPS that can transmit/receive a waypoint, you could encase the circuitry so it's waterproof, without worrying about USB contacts.

There's a "gardens" nearby that has power connections throughout their (small) forest. For that place, I've been considering wacky electronic gizmo caches, for months.

My thoughts exactly.

And it would be a virus where it changes all the gpx and loc files you download to be off by 200 feet. :)

Or worse, change it by 20 feet. It would make some caches closer but most would be farther off. The victim may never realize the problem and could suffer a long, unexplained series of DNFs. An error of 200 feet would quickly become obvious.

An ammo can with a solar panel glued to it. Eventually, someone will decide that it is a bomb. Besides, I've been involved with PC's since 1992 and have never had a virus, trojan, malware or spyware. Not plugging memory sticks into unknown ammo cans helps keep it that way.

My original idea though would be a 5/5 cache that unless you had some pretty good reason to go to this place, no one would see it for years. I thought of doing something with wifi like how the nintendo ds's get demo games at like target. SOmeone mentioned something on how the colorado does that and it could send coords. tahts a cool idea.

Something like that would be awesome if all the bugs and posting issues could be resolved. Maybe make it the last or next to last of a multi-cache where you input a code collected at previous caches to get the final coords? Just a thought. Something unique like that would definitely make me go out of my way to log it.

Security at my job uses electronic scanners that read small buttons that are glued around the facility. They look a lot like a watch battery and are used to prove that the security guard is making their rounds. I've often thought that had possibilities for urban caching. But then, it does add another piece of equipment needed and there's just something about signing the log book.

Security at my job uses electronic scanners that read small buttons that are glued around the facility. They look a lot like a watch battery and are used to prove that the security guard is making their rounds. I've often thought that had possibilities for urban caching. But then, it does add another piece of equipment needed and there's just something about signing the log book.

The guard tour wands that read those buttons that you just mentioned cost about $1400. Not practical for cachin'.

Possible Listing Guideline issues with the OP's cache design include the "no data downloads" guideline, the "no codeword caches" guideline, and/or the prohibition of Additional Logging Requirements, or "ALR's."

"no data downloads"

Fine, make a program to copy a file from the main directory of the thumb drive... data upload. It would only copy files named "Geocaching.txt" or something of the like.

I was at a 4 day workshop in Zambia a few years ago where due to the intermittent internet access flash drives were being frequently used to for file transfer of the many documents that were being developed. After the third day it became apparent that a virus was being passed around using one or more flash drive. It completely hosed the O/S on at least a couple of the laptops.

A couple of years ago there was a virus that hit my campus that was being propagated using USB devices. Soon after it was detected flash drive detection stations were setup at many locations on campus where students could have the flash drives checked for the devices. Over 20 employees had to take about two and half days from their regular job to man these stations. Over 1000 computers/flash drives were infected. At the detection station in the building where I work about 280 usb drives were tested and about 15% of them contained the virus. In at least one case, the virus was found on the flash memory card for a digital camera.