The health benefits of geocaching

Apart from the obvious benefit of going outdoors and getting some exercise (I find I've always walked much further than I thought), my asthma has been so much better since I started caching - I rarely ever need to use my inhaler now, which is fantastic!

What has geocaching done for you?

Apart from the obvious benefit of going outdoors and getting some exercise (I find I've always walked much further than I thought), my asthma has been so much better since I started caching - I rarely ever need to use my inhaler now, which is fantastic!

One major reason I geocache is to get the exercise I need to keep my diabetes under control. So far, after four years, it's working like a charm.

As I just mentioned in another thread, I also use geocaching as an excuse to visit places I've never seen before.

--Larry

I would like to think that I am fairly in-shape and that I've got a handle on backwoods bushwacking. Of course, sometimes (like this morning, while searching for a 5/5 deeply hidden in brambles and wait-a-minute vines) I wonder why the heck I decided to take this hobby up again.

It's reaffirmed my healthy respect for nature, mud, vines, thorny bushes, comfortable shoes, long pants, and band-aids... and cold beer.

Just being outside and walking is a step towards a much healthier day and life.

I'd have to agree with cachensfun, it has brought my kids and I closer and we've developed a healtier relationship because of Geocaching. And yes, after hiding my 2nd cache ever today which was a 4.5 terrain I'd also agree that it's given me the much needed excersize.

One major reason I geocache is to get the exercise I need to keep my diabetes under control. So far, after four years, it's working like a charm.

As I just mentioned in another thread, I also use geocaching as an excuse to visit places I've never seen before.

--Larry

I second Larry's reasons (although my diet plays a larger role in keeping my diabetes in control).

I love visiting places I have never been before, especially if it involves 3-4 hours of hiking to get there.

Today was my first real hike of the year at about 7-8 miles RT and 2400 feet elevation gain, and a return to the 600' elevation @ starting point.

Geocaching - which feeds my desire to explore (like several mentioned above) - led me to trail mapping for the NW Trails Project. Which, in the two years I've been mapping trails, helped me lose and keep off 70 pounds. I'm down to the weight I was when I got married over 30 years ago, and I'm in better shape - I can now carry a 60 pound pack (and hardly notice it) when I used to complain about a 30 pounder. I was with Ironman114 today (see above), carried a 25 pound pack, and thought it was nice easy hike - I could have gone on for hours.

I decided to go after GCRBPR which is a 41/2 star terrain cache. Being 50 and 50lbs overweight it was a very painful first attempt. Since then I have lost 25lbs and have a new hobby, hiking. I have done an overnight hike to Yosemite and am planning a week long backpack trip this year. Eventually I found the cache. I am in much better shape than before I started. I can only hope and assume that there are unseen health benefits as well.

Allergies get really bad during spring

Cuts. scrapes, scratches

Blisters

Sunburn, dehydration

Anxiety

Cursing is bad for blood pressure

Mosquitoes (and the diseases they carry)

Put my hand in what???

Poison oak

Ticks / Lyme disease

Animal attacks

but for the moment, life without geocaching is unthinkable :rolleyes:

Edited by Chrysalides

There aren't many caches in my area (closest unfound is 30 km away), and few of these involve any sort of hiking. Caching has meant that I spend:

1) too much time on the computer obsessing about possible future hides

2) lots of time sitting in the car driving and not enough time outside of my car

So basically this means I might be sitting on my butt even more than I used to. Add to that the bad ankle sprain I got at an event last fall, and I'm beginning to wonder if this cache thing is helping me at all!

Seriously though, I'm tired of driving everywhere and I'm planning on bike shopping in April to help out with that...

Edited by hurleyanne

Seeing as knowledge is a good thing, i.e. a benefit, I have increased my personal awareness of: A couple of meniscus tears, several broken toes and fractured fingers, compartment-syndrome, cellulitus, lyme-disease, poison ivy, fractured collar bone, multiple concussions, mucho tendonitis, lots of sutures, and much, much, more - and that's only the minor stuff; frankly, some cachers really don't seem to be trying hard enough. :)

--Larry

and this one

Edited by KJcachers

I have really bad arthritis that affects most of my joints. Some days I feel perfectly fine and I have had to take a month off work at other times due to an arthritis flare.

I find that if I can find a balance between rest and activity I feel much better.

Recently I had planned to find 10 caches in one day. It didn't work out that way. The first find was a 2 mile hike (which I loved) but that pretty much ended my day. I did manage to find 3 park and grabs on the way home though.

Sitting around makes me ache... walking around too much makes me ache.

Somewhere in between is perfect and geocaching helps me do that.

Plus it is something that my wife and I enjoy together and that's always good.

Sure beats sitting on the couch! Gets me out to see places I've never seen before. And I'm hiking more now than I ever have. However, I have all these mysterious scratches that keep appearing all over my legs and arms. Oh, and the nettles...it can find any chink in the armor, no matter how much I try and I think it burns more now than it ever did as a kid.

Wouldn't change a thing!

I have to credit walking to and from work for this, because I don't geocache as much as I should. But I went from size 16 jeans to size 8 in the span of about four months and lost two and a half minutes off of my 1.5 mile run time.

Geocaching in the local area has helped my endurance -- I'm in Japan, and the local area is extremely hilly, so walking to the local caches gives me a real workout. Walking up, up, up, up all these paths and roads certainly seems to have helped reduce my chronic low-level back pain.

I'm a big believer in brisk hiking & walking now. : )

:wub: I have only done four caches so far and blood pressure is in chick and I am sleeping better. When the ground drys up a bit more I plan to be more active but the doc says don't do to much to soon. Will see if blood pressure and PTESD get better as time goes geocaching. I wish I found out about this a few years ago.

Exersizes the positive displacement pump and makes it more efficient.

Burns calories, which in turn causes one to shed unneeded pounds which also makes the above mentioned pump more efficient/healthier etc etc

and many more positive benefits physically and mentally

I will be 85 April 23rd. I have an aortic valve that needs to be replaced. As I have no serious symptoms, my Cardiologist is putting off operating. His advice is to keep up the GEOCACHING and let your body be your guide just how much you can do. dick w7wt

Seriously though, I'm tired of driving everywhere and I'm planning on bike shopping in April to help out with that...

I like that idea! Especially if you're planning on taking a trip somewhere and you feel like doing an easier day of caching in town (rather than attempting to find EVERY bramble bush between you and your remote destination).

As a matter of fact, I think I just stole your idea. THANKS.

Edited by lil_cav_wings

I am convinced that geocaching is unhealthy.

My logic is that after 10 hours of geocaching, I am really sore the next day.

Also when geocaching I seem to sneeze more. Definately not a good thing.

I've seem more blood leaking out of my body because of geocaching and found weird creatures infesting my body after a day of geocaching.

I've even somehow found a way to get stuff on me that itches and is painful. That can't be healthy!

I am convinced that geocaching is unhealthy.

My logic is that after 10 hours of geocaching, I am really sore the next day.

Also when geocaching I seem to sneeze more. Definately not a good thing.

I've seem more blood leaking out of my body because of geocaching and found weird creatures infesting my body after a day of geocaching.

I've even somehow found a way to get stuff on me that itches and is painful. That can't be healthy!

That reminds me of the Ray Steven's song "Jogging". The line "is a healthy person supposed to feel this way?" fits perfectly!

I like that idea! Especially if you're planning on taking a trip somewhere and you feel like doing an easier day of caching in town (rather than attempting to find EVERY bramble bush between you and your remote destination).

As a matter of fact, I think I just stole your idea. THANKS.

One of the most prolific cachers in my province does just that - hauls his bike on his vehicle, then bikes along the trail to the caches. Works quite swimmingly! I spend most weekends in a city less than an hour's drive from home, and hope to do some nice bike caching outings there this summer!

I'll try to keep this from sounding maudlin, but no promises. :blink:

Our best pals talked to us about geocaching in late 08 early 09, and we planned on looking into it. We were just about to get going when my Dad became ill, suddenly. He was hospitalized a short while then he passed. During his hospital stay, I decided that he would not want me to completely stop everything in my life. So I bought my GPS, set up my account, and a few days after he died found my first cache. That may sound weird, but sitting still in contemplation does not help me deal with emotional upheaval. :P

My Dad would have LOVED geocaching- he loved to hike, fish, and camp in his younger days. He was also a tech geek. Every time I go out I imagine what it would be like to tell him about a great hike, or a really neat container. I can even imagine his chuckling, if I could relate my scrapes and slips and bruises. He would have good, thoughtful questions and great suggestions for cache containers.

So really, I do it in part because it makes me feel closer to him. He has always been strongly associated with the outdoors in my mind. And in feeling closer to him it helps manage the grief, which has benefits across all planes.

On the physical side, it has definitely helped me maintain my weight and muscle tone- important since I am a desk jockey. It also inspires me to train for longer, more difficult hikes.

Mentally, it drives me to be a better researcher/planner and to visit places I would NEVER have thought of going to previously.

Nice question, OP. Thanks for asking about this.

Me too on the common answers: diabetes, exercise, adventure...

But I'll be the first to say geocaching does wonders for my emotional health too. I work 12 hour shifts in a psychiatric unit where we can't even go outside anymore. After 3 days in a row of that I HAVE TO get out in the woods for a while to survive.

I almost wonder if sometimes I should wear a helmet when caching. I use to run full speed if I had the energy, from the car to the cache. However, one time I fell while going for a cache near the Potomac River in Virginia and came within a few inches of a large rock with a rather brain splitting angle to it. I didn't hit it, but boy did I feel a little weird after that extremely close call.

I think overall, geocaching and be better for the mental health than true physical health. Walking, even running around grabbing caches isn't the best exercise unless you're doing some really work to get to them. But I suspect you won't find a lot of your typical fat-*** (self censored) Americans involved with geocaching. If one is overweight, I bet it has felt good to get out...and I bet nearly 100% of folks who geocache regularly don't put on much, if any extra pounds.