GCzII

norsch

I note that you are a "Member" and not a "Premium Member"? It is possible that your problem may be related to this?

I think that Premium Members can download cache details via an application - this is why it is asking you to log in so it can check that you are entitled to do this. As you aren't, you don't get anywhere - but it isn't sophisticated enough to tell you that is the problem.

Just in case I am talking complete rubbish, as an alternative, you could go and see if you have already completed the Waypoint License Agreement which is here:

http://www.geocaching.com/waypoints/agreement.aspx

And then try again.......

An alternative to the Postcode Search (just to see if it working otherwise) is to go outside and use the GPS location search facilityon page 3.

I have had no problems with the postcode search myself I might add. I use this method when I am indoors and my PDA is connected to the PC. (No GPS coverage). I then save the cache details for using outside in the field.

In this case, searches are free - however, I use the GPS method when I am out and about - but then I pay for the connection via my phone SIM. This is useful if I suddenly find myself somewhere and need to check up on caches that I previously didn't download and save.

Apologies in advance if all this is complete tripe...I have used GCZ for some time now and find it to be excellent. It also uses GoogleMaps which is another advantage sometimes - I can even use StreetView to navigate around!

i wouldn't trust the 'search by post code' option too much. it works for the US and canada at least, but i don't know about other countries.

however, it should work the same on the pda as it does on the website itself.

If you just put the postcode you may get somewhere unexpected. If you type, say, W12 8QT, UK you should get what you're expecting.

OK, some problems solved, some not, I did a hard reset and reinstalled GCzII. Just the same, no improvement. I binned the phone and bought another, Installed GCzII, lots better! No more asking for my username and password. Postcode search however still thinks I'm in Portugal. Search page 3 says "cache not found" when I try searching.

Page 4 works. All other functions work.

If anyone could try the postcode search and let me know, because it could be me that's not doing something right I would apreciate it. Try IP7 5BP

Thanks

OK, some problems solved, some not, I did a hard reset and reinstalled GCzII. Just the same, no improvement. I binned the phone and bought another, Installed GCzII, lots better! No more asking for my username and password. Postcode search however still thinks I'm in Portugal. Search page 3 says "cache not found" when I try searching.

If anyone could try the postcode search and let me know, because it could be me that's not doing something right I would apreciate it. Try IP7 5BP

Thanks

It all seems to work for me.

Firstly I input your postcode.

Then it confirms "Suffolk IP7 5, UK" which is expected behaviour.

Then when I click on that, it displays all the nearest caches OK.

I'm doing that from Page 1. Page 4 just requires a connection to the InterWeb to search for caches. However Page 3 requires a GPS fix to get nearest caches. Is your GPS working within GCz? You can check in Menu, then GPS. Ensure that it is turned on. Make sure that in GPS Settings (Same Menu) you have GPS Accuracy set to 6 and Manage GPS Automatically ticked. If I am indoors, (with no signal) I get GPS location has not fixed. If I then go outside, the GPS Monitor will show me that I am getting a fix. Searching for Nearby Caches then dials up using GPRS and I get caches that way.

Have you tried connecting your device via ActiveSync and asking for your Postcode Search via the web?

Edited by HighlandNick

Thanks

It all seems to work for me.

Firstly I input your postcode.

Then it confirms "Suffolk IP7 5, UK" which is expected behaviour.

Then when I click on that, it displays all the nearest caches OK.

Ah, it works if I just input IP7 5, but then the results are not the nearest caches to home. As soon as I try my full postcode it still thinks I'm in Portugal. Maybe I should move.

Ah, it works if I just input IP7 5, but then the results are not the nearest caches to home. As soon as I try my full postcode it still thinks I'm in Portugal. Maybe I should move.

stupid question, but have you tried entering the postcode without the space?

Not stupid at all, yes I tried this, it came back with "Geocoding error code. [602]

Not stupid at all, yes I tried this, it came back with "Geocoding error code. [602]

Same result here,ok without last letter though.

Same result here,ok without last letter though.

Yes it works fine for me too, if I leave off the last letter. Not very practical though as it puts my location a couple of miles out.

I entered "IP7 5BP, UK" and it offered me a few towns in Suffolk. I went for IP7 5 (forget the name of it now) and I'm getting Church Micro 910 as the nearest cache at 1.3 miles north, then Hadleigh Magnetism also at 1.3 miles north.

You could always enter you`re home co-ords in the search by co-ord page if the postcode page is not giving the desired results.

I entered "IP7 5BP, UK" and it offered me a few towns in Suffolk. I went for IP7 5 (forget the name of it now) and I'm getting Church Micro 910 as the nearest cache at 1.3 miles north, then Hadleigh Magnetism also at 1.3 miles north.

You could always enter you`re home co-ords in the search by co-ord page if the postcode page is not giving the desired results.

My home co-ords work fine, I was just wondering really why postcode search wasn't, when it works fine on geocaching.com

I am using GZcII fine now - did have a problem downloading caches but an update to version 0.2.35.40 sorted that.

I am a basic member in UK, and after ticking to agreement I haven't had to do anything else.

The only other real problem I have had was with the phone itself and needed to change the Baud Rate for better results.

Oh well back to the 'Cache not found' alert. Can find all of the caches I want but now unable to read any of the pages themselves.

Anybody know of an 'Accepted' utility that will do what GCzII should do, it must work on a Windows Mobile phone and although I don't mind paying I would prefer to a one off (reasonable) payment.

I want something like this as often I am out with just my phone and some time to spare and it helps to just click on something that 'finds caches close to me' and let me read that information.

Oh well back to the 'Cache not found' alert. Can find all of the caches I want but now unable to read any of the pages themselves.

Anybody know of an 'Accepted' utility that will do what GCzII should do, it must work on a Windows Mobile phone and although I don't mind paying I would prefer to a one off (reasonable) payment.

I want something like this as often I am out with just my phone and some time to spare and it helps to just click on something that 'finds caches close to me' and let me read that information.

PM sent