hanging lock n lock

ad5smith

I just put one out in a small black nylon mesh bag with a drawstring closure (I wanted dark green, but couldn't find one). It's in a small, bushy evergreen tree, and I'm hoping that people will leave it in the tree, and just take the container out. I've only had one finder, so I still don't know how well the hide will work out, here's hoping. :rolleyes:

Edited by Ambrosia

anyone have pictures or thoughts of hanging a lock n lock, a carabiner somehow attatched is the general idea

How about drilling a very small hole, placing and eye bolt, using rubber washers on each side, surrounded by metal washers. You should be able to tighten it as much as needed. Then you have something to put a hook or carabiner on.

anyone have pictures or thoughts of hanging a lock n lock, a carabiner somehow attatched is the general idea

How about drilling a very small hole, placing and eye bolt, using rubber washers on each side, surrounded by metal washers. You should be able to tighten it as much as needed. Then you have something to put a hook or carabiner on.

I agree with Joe's idea!! Sounds like a good plan. I would perhaps add a couple "fender washers" (large diameter very thin metal washers) to give the container side or end a little additional support. I have used an eye-bolt with fender washers, and a couple nuts with nothing but a good bead of silicone caulk to add a tie down to plastic totes in which I carry supplies in the bed of my truck.

Edited by NeecesandNephews

I hang them all the time. sorry, no pics. I use braided nylon line. It's very strong and small enough that there's room for it in one of the existing slots. Just make a loop through the slot and hang it. A strong fishing line (leader) would work as well.

I would not make holes in the container. I've never seen that work.

I too hang lock & locks all the time.

I take some thin wire (i.e. 18 or 20 gauge), and make a hook out of that. I put an end of the wire through the slot on both sides of the same tab (right in the corner so it won't interfere with the tab closing), twist the wire around the tab such that it won't come undone or cut anyone, and then twist the middle part of the wire into a hook. Sometimes I'll put duct tape on the wire hook, but not always...

Here's a picture of my latest with a few local cachers

8cfe9380-e98b-4023-9c09-c4f63c45abf9.jpg

I just put one out in a small black nylon mesh bag with a drawstring closure (I wanted dark green, but couldn't find one). It's in a small, bushy evergreen tree, and I'm hoping that people will leave it in the tree, and just take the container out. I've only had one finder, so I still don't know how well the hide will work out, here's hoping. :rolleyes:

I've come across something very similar... they can be tricky hides.

However, the one I found was about 12 feet up the tree.

Just my input.

i put one way up in the tree, about 10-12 meters, approx 35 feet, appropriately called "hangover" due to the type of hide and to the fact that is near a beer store :rolleyes:

i used darker beige nylon rope, blends in perfectly with the bark of the tree

the rope i tied it through the holes on two sides of the lock and lock clasps

than looped the rope over a branch, tied a stick to the bottom part of the rope and wrapped all around a little hook

its been there for over a year, with no issues yet and everyone likes the hide :)

sorry, i don't have a picture though

I have had one out now for three years that was done in exactly that way, except that I sealed the hole with silicone before assembling the eye bolt.

My dad is the owner of a small lock-n-lock cache that he made a wire cage for the cache and used the end of the wire as a bent hook and then wrapped the outside in camo duct/k tape. Thing works great. Don´t think I have any pics of it.

The WalMarts in my area have a small watertight container very similar to a lock n lock

When I first saw these, I bought one thinking they would make awesome cache containers. I removed the cardboard insert, dropped in some trinkets and tossed it in the back of my truck. A couple months later, it had half an inch of standing water in it. An inspection revealed no visible fail points in either the seal or the box itself, so I can't say how the water got in. All I can say for sure is that the term "watertight" appears to be a misnomer.

I found one hanging in a pine tree that was pretty cool. It was a smaller lock n lock and the lid was wired onto a branch. The drilled a hole into one of the locking tabs and had the wire clamped nicely. They used something like this to clamp the wires.carbon_clamps.gif

The WalMarts in my area have a small watertight container very similar to a lock n lock

When I first saw these, I bought one thinking they would make awesome cache containers. I removed the cardboard insert, dropped in some trinkets and tossed it in the back of my truck. A couple months later, it had half an inch of standing water in it. An inspection revealed no visible fail points in either the seal or the box itself, so I can't say how the water got in. All I can say for sure is that the term "watertight" appears to be a misnomer.

I have used these for a few caches.and after several mths i've had no problems with water getting into them.But they are a bit pricey

I have seen wire taped to the box and looped over a branch.

Not a good idea. From the guidelines: "In busy areas, avoid containers that look suspicious, including attachment materials like wires or tape."

Wow! I've never noticed that verbiage! I'd like to know what container, in a busy area, won't look suspicious to someone looking for suspicious things. No wire, no tape? Let's add "should be in plane sight so it will not look suspicious to this looking for suspicious things" to that, then, as well. Oh, and also let's add "should be hidden so as to not be spotted by those looking for suspicious things".

To paraphrase Ron White, "You can't fix suspicious."

Wow! I've never noticed that verbiage! I'd like to know what container, in a busy area, won't look suspicious to someone looking for suspicious things. No wire, no tape? Let's add "should be in plane sight so it will not look suspicious to this looking for suspicious things" to that, then, as well. Oh, and also let's add "should be hidden so as to not be spotted by those looking for suspicious things".

darn, and i was just gonna hang a cache over one of the mall entrances :D

I have seen wire taped to the box and looped over a branch.

Not a good idea. From the guidelines: "In busy areas, avoid containers that look suspicious, including attachment materials like wires or tape."

:laughing:And here I was thinking specifically designed to look like a bomb was the purpose of that line. :laughing: