garmin Etrex

the cable for my Etrex is $50. That is halr the price of the unit new!!!!! Has any one atempted to make a PC data cable out of a old USB cable?

I think all I need is 3 of the 4 wires. the red(power+) is not used. so in theroy the Black(ground), The White(data-), and green(data+). then if I make a conector that would be Black, White, Green.(Looking from the back of the GPS left to right) it sould work.

Any input?

the cable for my Etrex is $50. That is halr the price of the unit new!!!!! Has any one atempted to make a PC data cable out of a old USB cable?

I think all I need is 3 of the 4 wires. the red(power+) is not used. so in theroy the Black(ground), The White(data-), and green(data+). then if I make a conector that would be Black, White, Green.(Looking from the back of the GPS left to right) it sould work.

Any input?

get a Venture HC. The cost is not much more than that of a eTrex and it comes with a usb cable

Any input?

Most of the ones I've seen are 10-20 bucks. Which Etrex do you have? Is it serial or USB?

Any input?

Most of the ones I've seen are 10-20 bucks. Which Etrex do you have? Is it serial or USB?

The owners manual just says Etrex personal navigator. Trede marked 2000-2003. It has a rubber flap on the top. Under the flap is 4 contact points and a tack for a plug slide in to.

Any input?

It's easy to make your own, just get a Eplug for the GPS side, and a Dsub DE9F for the computer side. A 2 conductor with a shield for a cable and you're good. Couple of bucks total.

You won't be able to cut the end off a USB cable and place the Eplug on it, you are going to need a RS-232~USB adapter if you don't have a serial port on your computer.

Edited by coggins

Any input?

I use the charging cord for my PS3 controller? works just fine