Advice requested

I have a residential caravan which is about 75 miles from my home. The site where it is situated is open from March to October. We are hoping to place a cache in the area, and would like to know if it would be allowed to place a cache for that lenght of time, as during the winter months we will not be able to check it.

Do you know any cachers in the lacal area? If so have a chat with them and make a reviewers note to the effect that they will maintain the cache for you in your absence.

We have caches in West Sussex, Heathrow area, Suffolk, Somerset, Devon and Cornwall and they are all looked after for us by local cachers when we are not in the area (due to caravan touring).

I'm not clear what exactly you're hoping to do...

a.) Do you want to place a cache that's available from March through to the end of October and then archive it?

Or

b.) Place a cache for the long term but disable it from 1st November through to 28th February because you won't be able to respond to any maintenance problems that arise...

Or

c.) Place a cache for the long term... and leave it available all year... and just hope that nothing happens to it that requires your attention during the winter months?

I think you can do (a.) N.B. If you archive the cache at the end of the season then you'll have to start afresh with a brand new listing in March the next year.

I don't know what the reviewer would say about (b.) because 4 months is a long time for a cache to be disabled for the sole reason that you won't be around.

As for (c.) I think it would be OK if you can find somebody local who could attend to your cache if needed during that winter period.

MrsB

Edited by The Blorenges

I have a residential caravan which is about 75 miles from my home. The site where it is situated is open from March to October. We are hoping to place a cache in the area, and would like to know if it would be allowed to place a cache for that lenght of time, as during the winter months we will not be able to check it.

I have caches close to a caravan on the Isle of Anglesey and had no problem getting them published after adding a reviewer note to my listing , good luck

Minimum time for a cache to be available is three months...

I had a cache published on the 8th Feb and archived it 17 days later. Nothing stopped me doing that, so what is this about the 3 month minimum.

From the Guidelines, section on Cache Permanence...

"When you report a cache on the Geocaching.com web site, geocachers should (and will) expect the cache to be there for a realistic and extended period of time. Therefore, caches that have the goal to move ("traveling caches"), or temporary caches (caches hidden for less than 3 months or for events) most likely will not be published. If you wish to hide caches for an event, bring printouts to the event and hand them out there.

We realize that it is possible that a planned long-term cache occasionally becomes finite because of concerns with the environment, missing or plundered caches, or the owner’s decision to remove the cache for other valid reasons. Please do your best to research fully, hide wisely, and maintain properly for a long cache life."

Once your cache has been published there's nothing that stops you archiving it within a three month period but I suspect that if it came to the notice of a reviewer that any cacher was routinely archiving their caches after a short life span then...

Well, who knows? :rolleyes:

MrsB :)