TB activated and grabbed before being placed.

mcgillz

I really should know better. I placed a new TB in my cache here in Vermont, went home and activated it but didn't 'place' it in the cache. Before I realized my error the TB was grabbed and has quickly travelled to Florida and Louisiana in two hops. In a couple of weeks it has more mileage than any of my other trackables! But :rolleyes: the TB doesn't register the VT to FL part of its trip. Any way I can log it in it's original cache (to get the mileage) without screwing up everything?

Edited by mcgillz

you can post grab/drop logs with dates in the past, but i don't know if the TB engine will calculate the "path" of the TB (including the mileage) taking the dates of the logs into account, or if it goes strictly by the order in which the logs were posted (ignoring the log dates). i never tried this, maybe somebody else here did?

What dfx says should work, but no guarantees.

I would make email contact with the current holder first, to advise them of what you are attempting to do, so they wouldn't panic over your "grabbing" it from them. They can "grab" it back from you when finished.

Make sure to glean the dates from the cache logs to use when you "dip" the TB. Hopefully, it will recalculate properly.

Otherwise -- (and this isn't a bad option) just let things stand as they are. Think of letting it "launch" from somewhere you are not! It really isn't important unless the mileage is one of your absolute requirements.

I really should know better. I placed a new TB in my cache here in Vermont, went home and activated it but didn't 'place' it in the cache. Before I realized my error the TB was grabbed and has quickly travelled to Florida and Louisiana in two hops. In a couple of weeks it has more mileage than any of my other trackables! But :rolleyes: the TB doesn't register the VT to FL part of its trip. Any way I can log it in it's original cache (to get the mileage) without screwing up everything?

Sure, it's easy. Let me check a few things and I'll walk you through it.

Oh by the way, you really should be activating your bugs well in advance of placing them. Just saying.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Okay. I always recommend waiting until the bug is sitting in a cache to do the back logging. Otherwise you'll have to coordinate this with the current holder, which is fine but..eh, it's just more work. You can fix this it any time so I suggest waiting.

Retrieve the bug from the current cache using the current date.

Post a Note on the original cache with the date it was dropped. (Preferably one that is before March 9th) and Drop the bug. You can delete the cache Note at this point and it won't affect the bug tracking.

Retrieve the bug post dated.

Post a Note on the current cache using the current date and drop the bug. (Delete the cache Note)

Now access the bug page and delete the logs that show you Retrieving and Dropping the bug in the current cache. This way it'll show the last logger did the Drop.

Please let me know if I need to clarify anything.

I almost forgot. After all this hit the recalculate button on the TB page.

3bd5a0bc-28c7-4c1b-9293-d61c4aab9185.jpg

Edited by BlueDeuce

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I am anxiously waiting until it's in a cache to make the change. It's ironic that the one TB I screwed up is the one with the most mileage on it!

Jim

Okay. I always recommend waiting until the bug is sitting in a cache to do the back logging. Otherwise you'll have to coordinate this with the current holder, which is fine but..eh, it's just more work. You can fix this it any time so I suggest waiting.

Post a Note on the original cache with the date it was dropped. (Preferably one that is before March 9th) and Drop the bug. You can delete the cache Note at this point and it won't affect the bug tracking.

Post a Note on the current cache using the current date and drop the bug. (Delete the cache Note)

Now access the bug page and delete the logs that show you Retrieving and Dropping the bug in the current cache. This way it'll show the last logger did the Drop.

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I am anxiously waiting until it's in a cache to make the change. It's ironic that the one TB I screwed up is the one with the most mileage on it!

Sometimes these things actually do pretty well! Once you get familiar with it this logging stuff is pretty easy to fix.

One less thing to worry about, eh?

Thanks Blue Deuce,

Well the TB finally got put in a cache so I could make the changes you suggest and it still doesn't register the travelling right. It shows 1056 miles which are the legs from FL to LA and back and although the map shows the TB going from VT to FL it doesn't register those miles. I think it's because the person who 'grabbed' here in VT now shows as having grabbed it in FL even though he is the guy who left it there!. Maybe he would have to modify his log too?

Any advice?