FTF prize

ad5smith

Ok, question, i've read numerous cache pages and seen where people say 'i left a suprise for the FTF' any ideas? I'm looking for items that are free and cost something.

If you're FTF on one of my caches or events you can have one of these for free:

53161596-3f52-4573-b86b-3286b8207566.jpg

I know of nothing worth giving as a prize that's free. <_<

I sometimes use party favor 1st prize necklaces that are very inexpensive. Like 6 for a buck.....

Ok, question, i've read numerous cache pages and seen where people say 'i left a suprise for the FTF' any ideas? I'm looking for items that are free and cost something.

If you're FTF on one of my caches or events you can have one of these for free:

53161596-3f52-4573-b86b-3286b8207566.jpg

I know of nothing worth giving as a prize that's free. <_<

I sometimes use party favor 1st prize necklaces that are very inexpensive. Like 6 for a buck.....

ok

where can one get the FTF penny?

any ideas? I'm looking for items that are free and cost something.

Something you make, that you only leave for FTFs, when you place your new cache. Many people have a particular item that they place as a First-To-Find prize. I make pin buttons, and might do a "FTF" button with the GC# and cache name, if I ever place another cache. That costs next to nothing to make, but maybe it's valuable to some people.

A prize is not necessary, usually there is a $1 or $5 bill in there, bust most of the time nothing just the fact that U R FTF is enough.

Scubasonic

A prize is not necessary, usually there is a $1 or $5 bill in there, bust most of the time nothing just the fact that U R FTF is enough.

Scubasonic

Really? That is the usual practice in your area? FTF "prizes" (I call them "bribes") are very uncommon here in the Twin Cities, and when you do find a cache with one, it is almost certainly from a new hider. I personally don't like the concept except in very rare circumstances (I once had a coupon for a free carwash in a cache that required driving over a very muddy road to get FTF). Don't worry about it... those FTF hounds will climb over each other to get to your cache for no more than an empty log.

For a puzzle or multi, I usually go with an unactivated geocoin (some of the mini ones cost $5 or less) or a gift certificate for $5. Around these parts, can't go wrong with Canadian Tire or Tim Horton's.

For traditionals, I just put in swag. I don't trade swag very much anymore, but I do buy neat little things when I see them so when it's time for me to put out a cache I usually have a decent assortment of things to put in. Once, I did a series of 7 micros, and gave a geocoin to the first person to find all 7.

I usually think the FTF hounds get their prize without me encouraging them - and get their pick of items to trade. But I have left prizes for the third or fourth to find - or a random number from a game spinner. By the time the first couple have found it, people may be finding the cache to find the cache and I am more than happy to reward that effort (on occasion) with something like a geocoin.

Edited by Erickson

Scubasonic

Really? That is the usual practice in your area? FTF "prizes" (I call them "bribes") are very uncommon here in the Twin Cities, and when you do find a cache with one, it is almost certainly from a new hider. I personally don't like the concept except in very rare circumstances (I once had a coupon for a free carwash in a cache that required driving over a very muddy road to get FTF). Don't worry about it... those FTF hounds will climb over each other to get to your cache for no more than an empty log.

Oh gosh. I was "accidental" FTF on a cache today. I seriously haven't intentionally gone after an FTF in at least 5 years. I took the prize (which was sealed in an envelope, but turned out to be an unactivated TB tag). I figured it would be totally rude to leave it there. I mean it's labeled "FTF" on it, and I was indeed the FTF, I suppose.

The whole FTF prize thing is relatively rare in my area as well. Now that I think of it, they do tend to be posted more often by newer hiders.

Scubasonic

Oh gosh. I was "accidental" FTF on a cache today. I seriously haven't intentionally gone after an FTF in at least 5 years. I took the prize (which was sealed in an envelope, but turned out to be an unactivated TB tag). I figured it would be totally rude to leave it there. I mean it's labeled "FTF" on it, and I was indeed the FTF, I suppose.

The whole FTF prize thing is relatively rare in my area as well. Now that I think of it, they do tend to be posted more often by newer hiders.

if you'd rather not keep the TB, i'd be more than happy to send it on it's way :rolleyes:

Scubasonic

ok, i usually leave my signature cactus guitar pick and a few foreign coins.

and i'm gonna just continue to do the same

Edited by ad5smith

I've put a WheresGeorge dollar in once or twice. But I think the best FTF prize I used was a chance for more FTFs. I put out 4 caches, but only listed one online initially. It had 3 envelopes in it, one each for the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd finders. The 1st one had coordinates for the 3 unregistered caches. The 2nd had 2 of the 3; the 3rd, only one. I figured some of the heavy-duty cachers around here would find the first one quick enough that there was a decent chance that all 4 FTFs wouldn't end up going to the same person.

I registered the other 3 once the first one was found, I think.

Scubasonic

if you'd rather not keep the TB, i'd be more than happy to send it on it's way :)

Well true it's not activated. I could always mail it to you. :rolleyes: Naw, never mind, I'll keep it. I have this obnoxious toy car in my geo bag I've been wanting to get rid of. Seriously, if I left that thing in the cache in an envelope labeled "FTF", and I said something like "I'm not into the FTF game, so I left the prize". Who the heck would want that then?

Anyways, not to derail the thread. I almost was going to start one on that particular subject yesterday!! So hey, I got an unactivated TB dog tag. I think that's a good item to give away. Or an unactivated Geocoin if you're feeling really generous that day.

usually there is a $1 or $5 bill in there,

I've not seen this. I'm not a fan at all of FTF prizes. The FTF gets the blank log.

I'm a bit unhappy about the FTF thing. It's not much of a competition in my part of the world, but in the winter, when visitors come here, they're all psyched up about it.

I had one guy take the two best items out of a new cache, left a traveling geocoin. IE, took 2 things, left nothing. The coin was a trackable, not a trade item. Don't feed the expectation that the FTF gets to clean out the cache.

My FTF prizes range from nothing to flashlights, key chain pic LCD, survival bracelets, etc. The biggest prize I've left was a 7mm Ammo can with a log book, pencil and geocaching card. Occasionally I'll drop in a NTF (next to find) prize.

As some have said most FTF guys aren't after the prize just the empty log book.

The main reason that I go after FTFs is not so much for the empty log as for the many times that I've met other cachers near GZ. That's the real fun!

Had that opportunity today. Headed over to the Home Depot and seen a new cache come up so we stopped by and found 8 other cachers there. We never found the cache but it was fun to hang out, dig around in the bushes and chat.

Edited by jaroot

I placed my first cache a few days ago. My FTF prize was a small coaster-sized mirror that I had etched the Geocaching logo and "First to Find" on it.

The mirror was leftover from a party and I already had the tape and etching cream. Cost me nothing, but it looked awesome.

I taped it up in some paper towels and wrote "FTF prize" on it.

I wasn't really trying to feed into some sort of FTF Race. I just took a lot of pride in my cache (as I'm sure most hiders do) and wanted to leave something extra-special for the first.

Edited by ipodguy

Its always interesting to read from some cynical and negative posters on this site, because their pathetic views have to be laughable and begs the question, 'Are you always this much of a party pooper". LMAO

Why do you say this? The "FTF game", which is played out by an extremely small percentage of the Geocaching community, has never been offically endorsed. It used to be that there was no mention of it anywhere on the entire website. Although some have pointed out it somewhat recently appears in "'advertisements" for becoming a premium member, and getting cache notifications via email. :rolleyes:

But I see you already have an attitude with that signature line about visiting Waymarks. :)