Mounting a GPS to a bike

Hi all. I did a search, but I'm not finding what I'm looking for, but am still looking.

Have any of you mounted a GPS to a bike? I'm finally riding my bike again and want to do a 12 mile stretch of 10 caches, but am not sure how to work with my GPS. Right now, I carry it on a lanyard, but don't really want to keep pulling it out to look and having it bang against the handles.

Any ideas?

I had to go to the manufacturer to find out what pieces to put together to be able to mount my Garmin on my hiking stick for the same reason you want to mount yours on your bike....handsfree and not banging against everything.

RAM makes a wonderful assortment of mounts for just about every positioning and most major brands of GPSr.

Since no store carried all the parts I needed, I had to order them in and it took several weeks so you might want to start now so that you've got it in time for good caching weather.

It depends on the model of GPSr you have. I have a Garmin Etrex, and I can buy a handlebar mounting kit for it for about $20 or so. Look for your GPSr on the maker's website and see if it is one of the accessories. Since I have yet had the money to buy a proper bike mount, I just use a heavy duty elastic band to strap it into place. I just make sure to attach the lanyard securely to the handlebars, just in case the elastic lets go. Have not had a problem with that method yet!

I wonder why everyone calls me cheap... <_<

I had to go to the manufacturer to find out what pieces to put together to be able to mount my Garmin on my hiking stick for the same reason you want to mount yours on your bike....handsfree and not banging against everything.

RAM makes a wonderful assortment of mounts for just about every positioning and most major brands of GPSr.

Since no store carried all the parts I needed, I had to order them in and it took several weeks so you might want to start now so that you've got it in time for good caching weather.

I would like to see a pic of your mount.I am disabled and walk with a cane,I thaught a hicking stick would serve me better in the outdoors.Sounds like it would be the ticket for me.You have a great idea there for the disabled. <_<

I have mounted my GPSMap 60cx on my bike and used it for riding on a variety of roads and trails. It only fell out when I took a header down a 6ft bank. I always loop the lanyard over the handlebar so if the GPS does fall out of the holder it won't hit the ground.

I have a Garmin Dakota now and I have the GPS mount for it from Garmin, but I haven't gotten it mounted on the bike yet. I've also heard good things about RAM mounts.

What type/model of GPS do you have? Odds are somebody here is familiar with mounts for it.

I have a GPS mounted to my bike. I use it for all sorts of things (except caching - most caches around here are too far for me to bike).

I have a Garmin GPSMap 60CSx. Take my advice and don't get the Garmin bike mount - its flimsy. I have one of these: http://www.amazon.com/RAM-Mounting-Systems...2351&sr=8-1 (RAM mount - got it at amazon.com). Its very sturdy, and my GPS has always remained solidly attached to it. Its a bit more money, but well worth the extra cash for a much better and more secure mount.

My bike is a hybrid bike (think mountain bike with tires more appropriate for roads). I am not particularly gentle with my bike. I wouldn't trust my GPSr with anything less.

It depends on the model of GPSr you have. I have a Garmin Etrex, and I can buy a handlebar mounting kit for it for about $20 or so. Look for your GPSr on the maker's website and see if it is one of the accessories. Since I have yet had the money to buy a proper bike mount, I just use a heavy duty elastic band to strap it into place. I just make sure to attach the lanyard securely to the handlebars, just in case the elastic lets go. Have not had a problem with that method yet!

I have a Megellan Triton. I just looked at their website and a mount made for my model is $40.

I have a lot of small, thin bungie cords. I can give that a go. I'd like to go out in the morning.

Thanks for all your replies.

You def. get a quick response around here!

I have a Megellan Triton. I just looked at their website and a mount made for my model is $40.

I have a lot of small, thin bungie cords. I can give that a go. I'd like to go out in the morning.

Thanks for all your replies.

You def. get a quick response around here!

You may want to try eBay. They have a lot of GPS accessories there.

I've got my Garmin Venture Cx mounted to my bike handlebars with a mounting kit like this one. I'm still using the original cover for the back of the GPS since the one included with the kit doesn't work well but I've been very satisfied with the results.

You're not really supposed to use the "extra" one anyways. I believe it was intended for older units, or maybe just as an extra for people who were careless with the clip that came with the gpsr. The back that came with your gps is far superior in any case.

I have a GPS mounted to my bike. I use it for all sorts of things (except caching - most caches around here are too far for me to bike).

I have a Garmin GPSMap 60CSx. Take my advice and don't get the Garmin bike mount - its flimsy. I have one of these: http://www.amazon.com/RAM-Mounting-Systems...2351&sr=8-1 (RAM mount - got it at amazon.com). Its very sturdy, and my GPS has always remained solidly attached to it. Its a bit more money, but well worth the extra cash for a much better and more secure mount.

My bike is a hybrid bike (think mountain bike with tires more appropriate for roads). I am not particularly gentle with my bike. I wouldn't trust my GPSr with anything less.

I've used the Garmin bike mount for my GPS 12, Rino and 60csx (the handlbar mount is the same, the 'cage' for the units is different) and have had no problems. I do not find them to be "flimsy".

Another Ram user here.

Gotta agree with the Ram vote. While the one offered by Garmin is OK for normal, everyday light use, it is not anywhere near as beefy as the Ram. I've wrecked my motorcycle twice, (once driving off a 15' cliff & once flipping it), while my 60CSx was in the Ram mount, and both times it came out unscathed.

RAM.

The mounts are very sturdy. Once you have the base mounted you can change the holders to different things. When I changed from a Magellan to a Garmin, I only needed the holder itself. Works great.

Also, if you think out it a quality mount it cheap insurance for the unit. I wouldn't trust a $200 - $500 unit to some amateurishly engineered one-size fits all solution that relies on bungees to hold it place. Take a good spill and--if can find the unit--what kind of shape is it in?

On a side note, I end up preferring to clip the unit to my belt when on the bicycle. While on the handlebars my body blocks a large section of the sky. Of course, this is not so much an issue when I'm not riding hard. On the motorcycle, it goes on the handlebars.

On a side note, I end up preferring to clip the unit to my belt when on the bicycle. While on the handlebars my body blocks a large section of the sky. Of course, this is not so much an issue when I'm not riding hard. On the motorcycle, it goes on the handlebars.

And your body doesn't block any of the sky when the unit is on your belt? I've always had better reception the farther from the body mine is - I even have a mount on my trek pole so it has a better sky view.

I built my own mount out of a spice refill can.

Sure it´s not nice and I guess it´s nothing for downhill mountain biking but my GPSr never tried to fell out of it, not even on rocky ground. Actually it sits very tight in it. The rubber is just for safety, the GPSr holds in there even without it. The inner tube of a bicycle tire absorbs shocks very well. I can turn the mount if the display is not readable but it does not move if I don´t want to. When I reach a cache I can take the GPSr out easily and it did not cost anything + nobody will steal it. It just works.

im00002.jpgim00003.jpgim00001.jpg

And your body doesn't block any of the sky when the unit is on your belt?

Sure it does, but a lot less so above my body than below it. Picture someone riding a mountain bike on forest trails. The handlebars are below my body which will block a lot of the sky. True, the 60CSx will still pick up, but not as well as when less sky is blocked.

That's my preference, YMMV.

You never know when you will be caught out in the rain while biking. No matter what mount you use it would be smart to wrap the unit with a piece of clear wrap (Saran Wrap). Don't forget the underneath, those tires will throw a rooster tail and it will get wet on the bottom.

You never know when you will be caught out in the rain while biking. No matter what mount you use it would be smart to wrap the unit with a piece of clear wrap (Saran Wrap). Don't forget the underneath, those tires will throw a rooster tail and it will get wet on the bottom.

That's why I like the 60csx - it's wateproof to IEC Standard 60529 IPX7. If it can withstand submersion it can handle rain.

I've had the Garmin bike mount for my 60cs for about 3 years now and I've never had a problem with it. It clips in tight enough to be sturdy but you can get the GPS out quickly. We just upgrade our trail GPS to the Oregon 450 and we got the bike mount for that one, haven't tried it out yet but it looks sturdy enough.

Because I was in a hurry to go and didn't want to wait until I ordered one online or went into the city to buy one, I took some scrap fleece material and put that over the middle joint of my handle bars, put the GPS on it and then put two zip ties across the top and bottom. I also clipped it to the lanyard and tied that to the side of the fleece on the handle bars. When I stopped for the first cache, I was like, Duh, you need to be able to walk with it, but it slide out with a bit of coaxing and I was able to slide it back in to continue on the bike. I was watching it closely and the unit never moved. I was on a flat, even trail, so I won't go this way if I ever go on a dirt path, but it was great to be able to ride my bike 7 miles and pick up 8/12 caches by simply looking down and stopping when I got to the icon. I loved it and am eager to go back and try again for the four I missed. I will pick up a better mount though. Thanks everyone.

Here are some pictures of a prototype holder I built using some scrap plywood and 3/8” dowels. By using a store bought shade cleat mounted on the back to attach the GPS’s lanyard, the unit can be taken on/off in a few seconds. It really holds everything securely in place and I’ve been over some rough terrain.

As you can see, I am working on a more compact design.

e3fec4ee-d408-4fc1-a8ed-87943e9027a7.jpg