What do you think?

This is a recent "found it" post by a cacher that found one of my caches.

"quick find love this containers NOT TFTC SL"

Now, I am usually an optimistic person and the other logs on this cache have been anything but negative, but the big "NOT" at the end is typically indicative of negative sarcasm on the part of the user. However, the cacher DID finish his/her post with a thank you. Am I just being touchy, or was this cacher rude?

Del

SandyCreekPirates

I agree with StarBrand.

If there were a comma or period between NOT and TFTC, would that have made a difference? I think they just forgot to punctuate. <_<

EDIT: I see it is a micro. A film canister maybe, or perhaps the ubiquitous "hide-a-key"? I still wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

You should feel honored, as it is a deviation from their typical CNP postings. ;):):D

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

maybe NOT=Nocturnal Oxygen Therapy <_<

nothing rude about that, everyone is free to like or dislike the container

i've been cracking jokes in my logs at LPC hides, calling it "unique hide" etc, if CO has no sense of humour than its too bad ;)

If I were to get a negative comment on one of my caches, I ask myself it I think it is warranted. If it is I consider it to be advice. If it isn't I think it simply reflects poorly on the person who wrote the log and I don't worry about it.

Edited by briansnat

That's what I thought. This cache is a nano container, not a leaky altoids tin or film canister. I have never used anything like that for my caches. Only waterproof containers here. I did have one match holder that leaked a bit, but I suspect the lid just had not been tightened by a cacher, as when I did maintenance I could tell that the log had been damp in spots, but the seal was intact and the log was dry.

The nano in question is an EASY traditional with no twist whatsoever. I have placed four of this style of cache to offset the 17 difficult puzzle caches that I have placed in the same 10 or so square miles. Some people enjoy the hard ones and some enjoy the easy ones. Therefore, in trying to keep everyone in mind, I am on a streak of placing easy caches for those who don't like the puzzles.

But, I digress...

Thought I was overreacting, but wanted to get some feedback. Like I said, I am generally optimistic and would like to keep it that way.

Thanks,

Del

SandyCreekPirates

Edited by SandyCreekPirates

Ignore my orginal thoughts. I'm now thinking their intent was to point out they hate the container but were somehow unable to leave when they stopped having fun. Having been pwned by your cache and forced to find it against their will having no fun all the way, the only fun they could get out of the deal was in the log.

Let them have their fun. It's not much but it's all they have as they become slaves to the compulsion that forced them to find containers they don't like, over, and over, and over, again.

Edited by Renegade Knight

Too hard to tell. Could just be bad grammar and punctuation. But say the guy was saying, "I like this kind of container....NOT!!!" that is like so 1995. What, did he log your cache with his 14,400 bps AOL dial-up connection (for which he paid for by the minute), while wearing a flannel shirt, and rocking Nirvana on his portable CD player? All while he was making bread with his home bread machine? <_<

Mostly about what's going on at the moment. Before the baby cries and I have to head that way or my five year old needs something and I have to head that way. I pretty much have to be a kind of in the moment sort of person right, being a stay at home Dad and all.

I often think about going caching, but by the time the weekend comes around I am so tired I think I'll sit home and get some rest.

I think about the state of our nation quiet a bit.

I think about the books I'm reading right now.

I think about everything I need to have in my head for my licensing exam.

I think that you read to much into the log. Live and let cache I say. At least they found it and logged it.

I think that there is to much angst in the forums.

I think (but I hope not) that this might cause some angst for the OP.

I think that a better question is what do you believe.

Well, I believe in the nano. The micro. The ammo can. The small crevice you missed which is where the micro was all the time. The hanging bison tube. High hides, instead of the base of the tree. Good logs. That the logs of oregone are some of the finest reading in all of geocaching. I believe Dave Ulmer acted alone. I believe there ought to be a Constitutional Amendment outlawing cache maggots and the "I found it but I didn't sign the log" excuse. I believe in the hollow stump, cemetery hides, opening your caches sitting down and enjoying the moment. And I believe in long pleasant number runs with my caching buddies...Goodnight.

Edited by Freekacher

You didn't have a problem with the couple other logs? I sure did. It hurt my eyes.

Somebody didn't like your container? Okay, they probably didn't.

I'd take it, file it away and see how the rest of the logs go. I've had a cache that I got tired of reading the 'fair' logs and decided that it wasn't a cache I wanted to maintain. It happens. Learn from it.

This cache is a nano container

It looks like the log's being typed on a phone, with no punctuation, no spelling correction. I think my phone has an all-lowercase selection, but it's tough to guess what the deal is. And I'm pretty good at reading and comprehending meanings on the Internet. My particular forte is "near-English".

It looks to me like they were being very silly, adding a funny "NOT!" at the end:

"I just LOVE trying to find these teeny little things. NOT! ;) "

So I'd say there's no intent to be mean or rude. But it's sometimes tough to type something and have it convey the perfect sentiment on the first draft. And these are evidently fired off as the train of thought occurs, without the possibility of editing (imagine the possibilities). At the very least, be thankful it's a unique entry, not a cut & paste comment. Don't encourage people to filter their feelings, but there's a balance.

Anyway, nanos are pretty evil. <_< <--- I'm being silly. Some people have a tough time with them, even if they aren't set up extra tricky.

By the way, I try to avoid the standard "TFTC" abbreviations. I don't always succeed at this goal.

You think the log on 3/21 was a reference to the log on 3/26?

Ooh, I didn't go that far into the logs. Very interesting though. I was referring to the cut and paste cachers that logged the OPs other caches and many others I'm sure.

Edited to mention that I like cut and paste logs - NOT. <_<

Edited by BlueDeuce

Ooh, no. I didn't go that far into the logs. Very interesting though. I was referring to the cut and paste cachers that logged the OPs other caches and many others I'm sure.

The 'you' in my post was referring to the OP.

I knew what you (as in BlueDeuce) were referring to. IMO, thats an eyesore.

Ooh, no. I didn't go that far into the logs. Very interesting though. I was referring to the cut and paste cachers that logged the OPs other caches and many others I'm sure.

The 'you' in my post was referring to the OP.

I knew what you (as in BlueDeuce) were referring to. IMO, thats an eyesore.

Gotcha. Still, good question.

I think that you read to much into the log. Live and let cache I say. At least they found it and logged it.

I think that there is to much angst in the forums.

I think (but I hope not) that this might cause some angst for the OP.

I think that a better question is what do you believe.

No angst here. You have made your point in a courteous manner, as all correspondence should be.

Oh, and I believe that I like hiding caches. Therefore, I'm gonna keep doing what I do.

Thanks!

Therefore, in trying to keep everyone in mind, I am on a streak of placing easy caches for those who don't like the puzzles.

What do I think? I think you should focus less on pleasing the populace, and more on pleasing you. :rolleyes:

Hide what YOU like, not what someone else, somewhere, might like. In the end, you'll be happier. :)