geocaching.com Google Map Enhancements

Lil Devil

Hmmm... didn't change a thing for me. I tried restarting Firefox, closed and reopened the map, and went back and verified my changes. No go.

Just tried it on a second computer and it worked. What browser are you using? I'm running FireFox.

How did you edit the script? I go through the Greasemonkey icon and choose "Manage User Scripts", select the script and hit the Edit button.

The changes didn't work for me either.

Now I have a few of the GM scripts that were dealing with resizing everything...would that do anything?

Also, for some reason, user script commands is greyed out for me.

The left side menu script however, worked just fine for me.

I'm running FF 3.0.19

Edited by Ashallond

Hmmm... didn't change a thing for me. I tried restarting Firefox, closed and reopened the map, and went back and verified my changes. No go.

Just tried it on a second computer and it worked. What browser are you using? I'm running FireFox.

How did you edit the script? I go through the Greasemonkey icon and choose "Manage User Scripts", select the script and hit the Edit button.

Count me as another case where the changes had no effect. Firefox 3.6.3, edited using my usual text editor, which has always worked fine when editing Greasemonkey scripts.

-Larry

Hmmm. Are you guys running any other scripts that run on that page? What's the output of Tools->Error Console on the Error tab?

If no errors on that script, try this instead:

Change line 34 from

var topLinkBar = $('uxMS0');

to

var topLinkBar = $('MapOptions');

and comment out line 42 with two slashes.

Now I have a few of the GM scripts that were dealing with resizing everything...would that do anything?

That might interfere. Just disable those temporarily (right click on the greasemonkey icon and remove the checkmark from them and reload the page).

Hmmm. Are you guys running any other scripts that run on that page? What's the output of Tools->Error Console on the Error tab?

If no errors on that script, try this instead:

Change line 34 from

var topLinkBar = $('uxMS0');

to

var topLinkBar = $('MapOptions');

and comment out line 42 with two slashes.

Still no joy. I've made all of the script edits you recommended, but nothing has changed. I have a total of four Lil Devil scripts running on that page (as set by Lil Devil when he created the scripts):

* GC Add Waypoint Finder

* GC VIP List Helper

* GC Hide Nav Bars

* GC Google Map Enhancements

The map enhancements were working perfectly before the latest site changes; the Google Map Enhancement script no longer has any effect after the site changes.

--Larry

Grrrr! It's the latest greasemonkey that's causing it. I just upgraded mine and the script stopped working. It's causing this line to not work anymore:

var theMap = unsafeWindow.map;

Go to Previous Greasemonky Version and install that one.

BTW, my changes are still required to make it work.

I do have the latest version of Greasemonkey installed, so I'm guessing you've found the problem.

On the other hand, I'm a bit reluctant to roll back my copy of Greasemonkey before I know just what I'd be missing. Call me naive, but I have to assume they put that new version out there for a reason. I've read the release notes, but I'm not a programmer. As an old friend used to say, they're clear as mud, but cover the ground. :D

--Larry

On the other hand, I'm a bit reluctant to roll back my copy of Greasemonkey before I know just what I'd be missing. Call me naive, but I have to assume they put that new version out there for a reason. I've read the release notes, but I'm not a programmer. As an old friend used to say, they're clear as mud, but cover the ground. :D

By the other reviews on the GM page, they've broken another script with this release as well. I've read through the release notes and there are no security fixes listed so it's safe not to use it.

I have no clue how to work around this bug in the script so that's why I resorted to going back to the previous GM version.

By the other reviews on the GM page, they've broken another script with this release as well. I've read through the release notes and there are no security fixes listed so it's safe not to use it.

That's good to know. I've rolled back my copy of Greasemonkey to the previous version. The roll-back, plus your suggested script changes, have restored the Map Enhancements script to usefulness. Thanks!

--Larry

I have no clue how to work around this bug in the script so that's why I resorted to going back to the previous GM version.

I rolled back GM, made the edits and it's working. I do notice that I do not have the list of caches in the right column, but I usually hide that anyway. This will do until Lil Devil can get back to his big monitor and hammer out an update. I really appreciate all of your help on this.

Thank you LD for this lovely script! very useful, especially in areas where there are so few geocaches that you need the extra screen size to see roads and more than 5 caches!

I have not experienced any of the above problems relating to the new update, and therefore I will assume that it is my superior browser (take that non-chromers!)

Grrrr! It's the latest greasemonkey that's causing it. I just upgraded mine and the script stopped working. It's causing this line to not work anymore:

var theMap = unsafeWindow.map;

Go to Previous Greasemonky Version and install that one.

BTW, my changes are still required to make it work.

Grrrr! I should have read this whole thread more carefully before I started work. It took me almost an hour to figure out why the script was getting hung up on this line. I did find a not-so-trivial fix for it.

The layman's explanation is that the older Greasemonkey ran userscripts AFTER the page scripts ran. The new Greasemonkey runs userscripts FIRST. This is a security fix to prevent pages from being able to disable userscripts.

My code was trying to get a handle to the GMap object before it was created. I just had to add a hook to wait until certain page functions run first. On the bright side, I can now manipulate the map size before those page scripts run, thus eliminating the double-refresh that was happening before.

Someone mentioned that another script is also broken. Was that one of mine, too?

In the end, I'm happy with that change to Greasemonkey.

Grrrr!

;)

Sorry. Misery loves company. :laughing:

Someone mentioned that another script is also broken. Was that one of mine, too?

Nope. Some non geocaching autologon script.

BTW, the automatic refresh checkbox Groundspeak added has a slight annoyance. It forces a refresh on both checking and unchecking. It shouldn't do that when unchecking.

If you're going to keep the Groundspeak one, can you fix that?

I'm using Firefox. Made the same edit on two computers, no results on either. I edited the way you said, through the Manage Scripts/Edit. No worry though... I thank you for your help and I can live without it until Lil Devil makes an official fix.

I'm using Firefox. Made the same edit on two computers, no results on either. I edited the way you said, through the Manage Scripts/Edit. No worry though... I thank you for your help and I can live without it until Lil Devil makes an official fix.

The latest Greasemonkey was also a contributor to the script not working. Lil Devil has already figured out a workaround for it so, since you're the patient type, waiting for his next release is a good idea.
This is a security fix to prevent pages from being able to disable userscripts.
Security fix?

Interesting. In the Greasemonkey release notes it's referred to as a "flaw."

• Fix a flaw that could allow websites to prevent Greasemonkey from running. (#1082)

But if you follow the link to the bug page, it's referred to as a "Security and Interoperability Defect; Major"

To me it's a security issue. Without the fix a script is insecure because a website author could potentially prevent my script from running. Not that you would do that, Raine. :P

I guess it's all in the mindset. Whomever runs a script modifies the site from how the original website author intended it to be. My mindset finds it hard to see as a "security issue" for you, but as you said, I wouldn't try to prevent it from running purposely.

-Raine

Great script, tnx!

Looking into your script i've made few minor enhancements:

- 'Hide My Finds' / 'Hide My Caches' checked

Neither is initially shown on the map.

- Hide eveything (uncheck all cache types)

Sometimes i'd like to see just one type, so deselecting all and then selecting the one type works perfectly.

And while i was at it, i've added a toggle function for the cache types aswell, not sure if that's usefull though.

Mr. Terratin

Whomever runs a script modifies the site from how the original website author intended it to be.

Except that the original website author is usually forced/pressured/bribed to add/change the site to better suit the users. There was a major change to the map that was reverted because of an huge outcry by the user base not too long ago.

The problem is you can't please everyone. Scripts let the users have the features they want without impacting anyone else or having to wait months or years to have a feature added if at all.

Whomever runs a script modifies the site from how the original website author intended it to be.

Except that the original website author is usually forced/pressured/bribed to add/change the site to better suit the users. There was a major change to the map that was reverted because of an huge outcry by the user base not too long ago.

The problem is you can't please everyone. Scripts let the users have the features they want without impacting anyone else or having to wait months or years to have a feature added if at all.

Well said! I can see it too as a security issue (one we need not discuss).

I just downloaded and installed the new version (1.1). It's great! And I especially like the new "Hide Unfound Caches" option!

Many thanks Lil Devil!!!

I didn't realize that there had been an update! Thanks for posting that.

1.1 - 2010/04/14 - This is mostly a bugfix update since the script was broken by the last website and Greasemonkey updates.

• Changes to accommodate website update.
    • Removed code that fixed a website bug that has since been fixed on the website.
    • Removed code that deferred map updates, as that functionality is now included natively on the website.
    • Added code to fix two bugs in the new deferred update functionality.

[*]Added support for Greasemonkey 0.8.6. Still backwards compatible with other 0.8.x versions.

• Most changes are now applied before the map is drawn, making for a smoother initialization.

[*]Enable continuous smooth zooming for supported browsers.

[*]Fixed bug that prevented Hide Found Caches and Hide Disabled Caches from working well together.

[*]Add additional filter to Hide Unfound Caches.

Making any progress yet, Lil Devil?

LOL I had just uploaded the update about 15 minutes before you wrote that. I just hadn't got over here to post anything yet.

As those release notes say, this is mainly a bugfix update. The changes to support the latest Greasemonkey took a lot of, uhh, monkeying around :P to get them right. But I think it works much smoother as a result.

I did sneak one new feature in there, Hide Unfound Caches, as I was fixing the bug that prevented Hide Found Caches and Hide Disabled Caches from working well together. All those hide functions now go through the same code. Previously they ran in-line, which meant the filters that ran last un-did the changes made by the filters that ran first. D'oh!

Now I can work on adding some new features...

Now I can work on adding some new features...

... and some more bug fixes. :P

When you turn off automatic refresh and reload the page (button, F5 or CTRL-R, etc) the Parsing Geocaches message doesn't go away. Doesn't happen with the script disabled.

The hide nav bar button overlaps the map edge. If you click it twice to hide and unhide it will go to the correct spot.

I don't know if this is something that a Greasemonkey script can accomplish, but one enhancement that would be awesome would be some way to print the cache list. Maybe copy the contents to the clipboard or to a straight html web page, or anything like that that would provide a complete printable list of the caches displayed, rather than the scrollbar method that is currently used.

Great script! Thanks!

If I have GCVote above this one in the List of GM scripts the menue gets a bit mixed up. Not sure whose faultit is though. :P

fooo.png

Edit: No matter in what order GCVote and the Map Enhancement script are it eats up the GCVote stars on the map. They reappear if I disable the Map Enhancement script.

Edited by London Rain
Great script! Thanks!

If I have GCVote above this one in the List of GM scripts the menue gets a bit mixed up. Not sure whose faultit is though. :)

fooo.png

As you say, that part works correctly if GCVote is below the GC Google Map Enhancements script in the Greasemonkey dialog. I've added a fix to the next version so it won't matter.

Edit: No matter in what order GCVote and the Map Enhancement script are it eats up the GCVote stars on the map. They reappear if I disable the Map Enhancement script.

Yeah, there's a conflict with my code that changes the labels to show name or GC Code. I'll figure out a fix.

When you turn off automatic refresh and reload the page (button, F5 or CTRL-R, etc) the Parsing Geocaches message doesn't go away. Doesn't happen with the script disabled.

That is fixed if you upgrade to the latest Greasemonkey. Of course, you may have other scripts that will break, but fortunately these are few. I'll continue to try to determine a fix for this, because it probably affects Opera users, too.

The hide nav bar button overlaps the map edge. If you click it twice to hide and unhide it will go to the correct spot.

I see that occasionally but it doesn't seem to happen all the time. I'll keep an eye out for it.

That is fixed if you upgrade to the latest Greasemonkey.

Ah. Thanks.

I see that occasionally but it doesn't seem to happen all the time. I'll keep an eye out for it.

Depends on the script order. If the hide nav bars is above the map one it does it.

Depends on the script order. If the hide nav bars is above the map one it does it.

Sweet. I was previously testing something else related to installation of the nav bars script, which left it below. I just put it above and the problem appeared. Which led me to a fix. Thanks.

I just need to finish up another feature on that script and I'll get a release out this weekend sometime.

Dear Lil Devil

thanks for all your work and those cool scripts!!!!!

but still, I have one request: in your map enhancement script it would be nice/cool to have some kind of 'setup and remember my advanced member filter settings'. for example: if I deselect to show mysteries on the map it should remember this setting and disable mysteries every time I return to the map page.

do you know what I mean?

thanks again for your great work!!!! :o