Opinions on ETrex Vista HCX

The Vista HCx is one of the best hand-held units out there. Not real sure about the auto-routing part of it. It requires purchasing additional maps and it does not give voice prompts.

i don't care if the road gps has voice commands for turn by turn but I do want something with road directions without paying for additional software. i want a gps to arrive, be easy to use and can use to get to my house to the cache location then from my car to the GZ for the cache with accuracy. is that too much to ask?

I purchased the eTrex Vista HCx because I was already familiar with the eTrex Vista C. I find the HCx locks in on the satellites much faster 7-8 X faster than the C. I like the display, ability to mount it on my bike, and use if for geocaching primarily. I am deliberating on what map software to use with it. I have disliked the difficulty I've experienced with Garmin's City Select maps. The unlocking requirement has been problematic for me. I really would like to have detailed road and trail/topo maps but don't know if that is available. Any recommendations? Thanks!

The Vista HCx is one of the best hand-held units out there. Not real sure about the auto-routing part of it. It requires purchasing additional maps and it does not give voice prompts.

i don't care if the road gps has voice commands for turn by turn but I do want something with road directions without paying for additional software. i want a gps to arrive, be easy to use and can use to get to my house to the cache location then from my car to the GZ for the cache with accuracy. is that too much to ask?

No, that is not too much to ask but that would not be the Vista. You're going the next level up. I'll let other folks answer it.

i use the vista HCX for caching, map making and road routing. Free maps are available from openstreetmap. If you find errors you can go online and fix them. it doesn't do voice prompts, but the last road GPs I used did and I ended up tur ning the voice off. I wholeheartedly recommend the Vista HCX.

If you mean you want a GPSr that can give you driving directions without purchasing additional maps from Garmin, you have two choices:

1. Buy a Nuvi

2. Download free maps from OpenStreetMaps.

Is the price difference between eTrex Legend HCx (about 190 dollars here) and Vista HCx (about 270 dollars) worth it?

I didn't think the price difference was that great. But in any case, you have to decide yourself if the compass & altimeter in the Vista is worth the extra $'s over the Legend. Some say no others say yes.. Personally I LOVE having a magnetic compass built into my GPSr and wouldn't buy one without it. Others would disagree.

And, the Vista HCx (& Legend HCx) do quite well for car road routing with the Garmin City Navigator maps. They don't *talk* you through turns but they do beep when a turn is coming up and the whole display switches to a huge arrow & and graphic that very clearly shows what the next turn/direction is. Also it prompts you ~30 seconds before a turn that the turn is coming up <_<

I use my HCx on my road bicycle, mountain bike, geocaching and in the car. It works great and can be used instead of my Nuvi 760 when I am en route to another location in my car. My son has one as well and uses it for the same purposes. It's a top choice!

Is the price difference between eTrex Legend HCx (about 190 dollars here) and Vista HCx (about 270 dollars) worth it?

I didn't think the price difference was that great. But in any case, you have to decide yourself if the compass & altimeter in the Vista is worth the extra $'s over the Legend. Some say no others say yes.. Personally I LOVE having a magnetic compass built into my GPSr and wouldn't buy one without it. Others would disagree.

And, the Vista HCx (& Legend HCx) do quite well for car road routing with the Garmin City Navigator maps. They don't *talk* you through turns but they do beep when a turn is coming up and the whole display switches to a huge arrow & and graphic that very clearly shows what the next turn/direction is. Also it prompts you ~30 seconds before a turn that the turn is coming up <_<

I guess I could manage with a Legend + external compass though. I wanted to have the Dakota 20, but when I saw pictures comparing the screen brightness with other units (vs the Legend and Oregon) I wasn't happy. Maybe I should buy something cheaper and wait for the successor of the Dakota 20.

i have a vista hcx and i love it. i've never used it for road routing, but i'm satisfied with everything else i've used it for. i watched for sales for a couple of weeks and got it from amazon for the same price as a legend. if i buy maps from garmin i'm just gonna get the micro-sd card for ease of use, just pop it in the gpsr and go.

If you mean you want a GPSr that can give you driving directions without purchasing additional maps from Garmin, you have two choices:

1. Buy a Nuvi

2. Download free maps from OpenStreetMaps.

I was debating on purchasing a Nuvi and then a handheld. So if I get a Nuvi can I go with a less expensive handheld? I see Etrex offers many under $200.?!?!?!?

How much do you have to spend on the Garmin City Navigator maps? I am debating on a cheaper Etrex and then a nuvi if i have to pay a bunch more for road directional maps.

I guess I could manage with a Legend + external compass though. I wanted to have the Dakota 20, but when I saw pictures comparing the screen brightness with other units (vs the Legend and Oregon) I wasn't happy. Maybe I should buy something cheaper and wait for the successor of the Dakota 20.

I totally understand, cause I was thinking the same thing. My Palm has an app with the compas but it rarely gets enough signal to work and it's not that accurate...like within 20 meters.

I was wondering the same thing? What are the pros and cons between the two models to make such a big price difference. Although I can get the Vista HCX at walmart for $214

This site gives a great side-by side comparison of the Etrex models. (Ignore the prices)

http://www.gpsnow.com/gmetrexcomp.htm

Add me to the list of very satisfied Vista HCx users.

It took Garmin a little while to work all of the kinks out of this unit, but even with those kinks, it was still a good unit. Now, with the current firmware and chipset software, the bugs seem to have been corrected. If you get one, make sure to do update it.