Statewide Query

RussellM

I am attempting to find a "query" of all the geocaches in New York. Technically, I am looking for only physical caches (not virtual or earthcaches, however I'll take anything I can get).

The file will be used for a ArcGIS class I'm taking in college. I will be analyzing the data (a few ideas have been tossed around and discussed with the professor, however I still have time to finalize an idea).

The file doesn't need to be very current (recent is better, though).

Any ideas where I can find the file or how to create one without repeating caches?

Thanks

Russell

Best way is to create pocket queries filtered by date. Start with caches placed starting on May 2000 and ask for all caches in New York. Select an end date that gives you 490 caches. Then use that end date as the starting date for the next query. There are currently 16398 caches in New York state so you are looking at 33 pocket queries.

Pocket queries, with placed date split into sections of fewer than 500 geocaches.

http://www.markwell.us/pq.htm#tips

A quick look shows over 15,000 geocaches in New York so this is going to take some time.

If you can't afford to take more than a week to gather the data, you can either register for additional accounts, or contact Groundspeak and see if they can help you out.

I already tried contacting Groundspeak. While they were helpful with some suggestions, they weren't able to help me. I've got the time to start doing it by date. One benefit of the date method; it will allow me to keep this updated.

Thanks for the suggestion

RussellM

IF you are going to set up 30 PQs for a week worth of data gathering, I will highly suggest finding the geographic center of the state, and then setting each one as 'From DATE to DATE'and that Is active. Of course, you could at this time sort out the cache types, but I've figured that if you don't mind the extra data, that you can sort out these with GSAK as well(BEST 10$ I've spent for GC). Remember that sometime before 3 May Jeremy will be increasing the PQ size to 1000, but for now stay under 500 results for each one you set up.

IF you are wanting to keep the data up to date, then you will want to set up your PQs to the same filter, and Has been updated in the last 7 days.

IF you are wanting to keep the data up to date, then you will want to set up your PQs to the same filter, and Has been updated in the last 7 days.

webscouter already addressed the previous item regarding selecting state. I would not recommend using the "updated in the last 7 days" option for update, but instead pull a new set of everything, because otherwise you cannot find archived caches.

If you pull a new set every week, archived caches are those which are not in the new set.

If you only pull updated caches, you won't know if a cache had been archived or just had no activity in the last 7 days.

So far, everything is going well. I'm searching by date, selecting caches that "are not on my ignore list" (aka, every cache). Disabled caches are ok, however archived caches obviously won't show up (not a problem). As for software, I'll be using GarminDNR due to its ability to go from GPX to Projected Shapefile (ArcGIS). It's been tedious, but I'm half way there. Also, If i need to get this done quicker, I'll just pay the three dollars for a months' use on a friends account.

1. There is no such thing as a $3 per month premium membership anymore.

2. Using PQ's from your friend's account is a TOU violation that could tank your project. Use your own account(s).

3. It ought to take you less than a week to get a complete data set for the whole state. (15,000 caches at 500 per query is 30 queries; five queries per day means six days to run all 30.) I do the same thing for the two states where I'm a cache reviewer, in order to monitor caches in my territory.