Geocaching Shoes!

Ok, maybe not the most Geocaching related topic, but here goes.

Getting into walking more due to the Geocaching, and would like some sort of walking shoe, probably not a heavy boot though.

So, 2 questions

1)Any recommendations? I'm not doing anything too serious, so am just thinking of a shoe/trainer type, with the usual waterproof/breathable material.

2)Any good shops in the Cheshire area to go try them on?

Thanks for any input.

I have a pair of Columbia trail shoes with a Goretex liner and find them great. They're light, deal well even with very wet conditions and aren't too hot in the summer. Grip isn't 100% but I also have a pair of Salomon shoes that cost more, don't have Goretex and aren't any better grip wise.

Not sure if you can get them local but Columbia seems to be a popular brand as it's middle of the road for price.

I have a pair of Columbia trail shoes with a Goretex liner and find them great. They're light, deal well even with very wet conditions and aren't too hot in the summer. Grip isn't 100% but I also have a pair of Salomon shoes that cost more, don't have Goretex and aren't any better grip wise.

Not sure if you can get them local but Columbia seems to be a popular brand as it's middle of the road for price.

Pipped at the post. :smile:

I used to wear Salomon shoes all the time - but since Nike took them over a couple of years ago they haven't been any better than regular trainers, and a pair won't last a full season any more either.... :)

I'm a fan of Merrells.

Also agree abont Salomons - I have a pair that are about 7 years old and are battered but still going strong, but more recent pairs have given up the ghost in 5 minutes. Since the the company was bought out the standard has plummeted.

Try a shop such as Cotswold who will measure your feet and check the fit etc..... then tell 'em you'll think about it and go buy the exact same shoes cheaper online!

I'm a fan of Merrells.

Also agree abont Salomons - I have a pair that are about 7 years old and are battered but still going strong, but more recent pairs have given up the ghost in 5 minutes. Since the the company was bought out the standard has plummeted.

Try a shop such as Cotswold who will measure your feet and check the fit etc..... then tell 'em you'll think about it and go buy the exact same shoes cheaper online!

I fell out of love with solomans after I had a pair hike boots by them and the soles de-laminated. I haven't bought any since.

I wear Merrel gore tex trainers. I have done for a few years now and love them. Light, waterproof and very comfy. Available ni Blacks and most outdoor stores.

Recently picked up North Face Assailant GTX shoes in Blacks. They only had 1 colour (Blue/Foil Grey) and no boxes. They were hanging on plastic shoe hangers. This range seems to have been replaced by their Hedgehog range. They have a Gore-Tex lining and were priced at £49-99 instead of the £99-99 original price, due to the batch being un-boxed and ony in 1 colour. Seemed a bargain for Gore-Tex lined quality brand shoes, so off to the till I went. Upon paying for them I received more good news as, after being scanned they came up as the price being £39-99.

Don't know if it is nationwide, this was Swansea, but, may be worth a look.

lots of outdoor shops in Liverpool if you can get there.

With shoes it's always worth trying them on, I personally like Inov8 but not everywhere stocks a full range, they are kind of costly though.

Inov8's are trail running shoes primarily, I have had a pair bur much prefer my merrels it has to be said. I wouldn't be confident that Inov*'s would stand up to abuse of lots of hiking.

Recently picked up North Face Assailant GTX shoes in Blacks. They only had 1 colour (Blue/Foil Grey) and no boxes. They were hanging on plastic shoe hangers. This range seems to have been replaced by their Hedgehog range. They have a Gore-Tex lining and were priced at £49-99 instead of the £99-99 original price, due to the batch being un-boxed and ony in 1 colour. Seemed a bargain for Gore-Tex lined quality brand shoes, so off to the till I went. Upon paying for them I received more good news as, after being scanned they came up as the price being £39-99.

Don't know if it is nationwide, this was Swansea, but, may be worth a look.

Having bought a fair number of walking trainers nd boots, I have to say I rate blacks as a chain. Each one I have been into have staff who are friendly and know what they are talking about in. Mainly becuase they too tend to be the outdoor type. It also helps that Blacks tend to be reasonably competitive as far as highstreet chains go. I don't mind paying a few quid more than internet for that personal touch and help you get in store.

That and I get 10% scout discount too!

Boots and shoes are very much a personal choice, and whilst i recommend merrells, its worth getting into a shop and trying as many pairs as you can. It is also worth remembering that Gore Tex does not always mean best as far as waterproofing and breathability goes now. Many manufacturers are developing very very good rival technology now. Keep an eye out for Event fabric. A rival to gortex that is very good indeed. I have a pair of Karrimor KSB boots that are Event rather than Gore Tex and they are superb.

Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with a trip to Decathlon in Stockport!!

If you're not going to be needing "trek to the Arctic" type boots, then head there - they have some great shoes and boots - and are reasonable too - I go there for ALL my camping and caching needs to be honest, and it's further for me to trek than you too!

What I love is that they tell you exactly what the boots / shoes are good for - eg "great for a couple of hours walk on good paths in spring / summer" through to "Totally waterproof and ideal for all day hikes in all terrain"

I too, was a Salamon wearer until a few years ago when I noticed the sizes went slightly smaller... a 4 no longer fits me well. I decided to pick up a cheapish pair of boots while in Decathlon just for the camping season, but I've never looked back.

Whatever you do make sure you go to the shop to try them on rather than just buying them online. I used to work in an outdoors shop on the 'Boot Wall' and was constantly amazed about the different shapes of peoples feet - even normal looking ones! I love my Merrells I have had about 6 different pairs over the last 8 years and they fit my feet perfectly. Salamons IMHO have gone downhill a bit in recent years. North face are good but the last pair I had didn't fit my feet properly. I knew that and still purchased them so I only have myself to blame!

Bottom line - go to a good outdoors shop and speak to someone who knows what they are talking about.

TSS

as mentioned by a few, it matters little what we all wear.

Get in a few shops, try on what you can afford and a bit higher, find out what you like and take notes.

Then hunt the web for those shoes, they'll likely be cheaper or on sale directly off the web.

I'd recommend going for non leather boots, so go for a decent fabric/GTX boot first. If later you become a hardcore 4 season hier you can always start looking into those (altho I probably still wouldn't personally)

Edited by Ryuchan

as mentioned by a few, it matters little what we all wear.

Get in a few shops, try on what you can afford and a bit higher, find out what you like and take notes.

Then hunt the web for those shoes, they'll likely be cheaper or on sale directly off the web.

I'd recommend going for non leather boots, so go for a decent fabric/GTX boot first. If later you become a hardcore 4 season hier you can always start looking into those (altho I probably still wouldn't personally)

Just out of interested, why do you recommend non leather? I have had noth over time, and have to say, am leaning toward favouring leather again. Technology makes them far lighter thanthey used to be, and IMHO the maintenance and cleaning is far easier. Clean em down, G wax em up nicely ready for next time and your good to go. Follow that proccess and I reckon they will stay water tight for far longer than fabric boots.

I'm not saying your wrong, just interested in your thoughts. As I said, its very much a personal thing, boots.

As others have said, make sure you get the best fitting show/boot you can. Look after your feet and they will look after you. They are the most important tool of hikers, geocachers and all outdoor types, and often the most abused and mal treated. You try not to trash your GPSr while out walking and caching, so why trash your feet in bad shoes?

As owner of more pairs of boots/shoes than I care to count, I feel I can add to this! :smile:

I've become rather a fan of Go Outdoors, which often have some fantastic "one week only" deals. Last week they had some Karrimoors for 40 quid, reduced from 100. Keep an eye on their website!

Like others have said, I used to like Salomon, but they do some to have gone down hill - the takeover may well explain this!

Currently, I have a pair of VERY light weight merrells. These are essentially trainers, but with a good walking sole. Wonderful pair of shoes, comfy as slippers, have had them about 3 years and wear them all the time. Downside is not waterproof.

I also have some Karrimoor shoes, which are 'weatherproof' rather than the eVent fabric. less than 20 quid on sale, heavier, but cerainly good for walking through damp grass and the like!

I have three pairs of fabric boots - two Karrimoor Events. My first pair were brilliant - probably my most versatile shoe, totally waterproof, until I damaged them. replaced with a duplicate pair, but in ladies, as they had a great deal - unfortunately, this didn't pay off, as they are slightly too tight for me and I got blisters, but thats my own fault! I replaced these half way through a caching day with some £100 Mammuts. These seem excellent, not too heavy, watertight, comfy, but obviously not cheap!

Finally, for bog walking in dartmoor, I have some Zamberlan Leather boots - bought 16 years ago and still going strong, so probably the best value shoe I ever owned. however I prefer walking in fabric boots wherever possible, so they only come out when paired up with gaiters!

Apologies for waffling, and the absence of some punctuation! Its Friday, and I can't be ar... bothered! :)

Whatever your choice, I would recommend a decent pair of socks, these don't have to be expensive. I pay around £6 and use Coolmax Technical socks, these are very comfortable, give good support, are cool in summer - warm in winter, and they keep my feet dry by wicking away any moisture.

I'm currently using the same boot as Turtlebum.

Very comfy after many hours on trails/footpaths, but the soles have worn quicker than any other boot I've used. <_<

I also love H-Tec V-lite boots. Cheap deals can be found on Ebay. Also comfy fo me.

But of course every boot fits differently.

Just out of interested, why do you recommend non leather? I have had noth over time, and have to say, am leaning toward favouring leather again. Technology makes them far lighter thanthey used to be, and IMHO the maintenance and cleaning is far easier. Clean em down, G wax em up nicely ready for next time and your good to go. Follow that proccess and I reckon they will stay water tight for far longer than fabric boots.

I'm not saying your wrong, just interested in your thoughts. As I said, its very much a personal thing, boots.

As others have said, make sure you get the best fitting show/boot you can. Look after your feet and they will look after you. They are the most important tool of hikers, geocachers and all outdoor types, and often the most abused and mal treated. You try not to trash your GPSr while out walking and caching, so why trash your feet in bad shoes?

mainly :

Weight (very big factor for me), carrying an extra 400-700 grams on your feet is like an extra x kilos in your pack.

Comfort (again, for me). My feet are tricky, I've found few leather boots I can get a long with long term due to sweat, I love the higher breathability of fabric boots. Also, fabric boots either fit, or they dont, not much walking in needed which can be good for a first time buyer. And with fabric boots in general being less rigid I find walking in them simply more comfortable.

The only real drawback in my opinion of fabric boots is durability vs leather ones, especially higher end leather boots which can easily be resoled. (Fabric boots can as well, but imo hardly worth it.)

Agreeing with you tho, look after your feet and they'll look after you. It's one of those things I'd never skimp on, I'd rather spend extra and be comfortable.

*goes to tend to his 4 pairs of boots/shoes*

mainly :

Weight (very big factor for me), carrying an extra 400-700 grams on your feet is like an extra x kilos in your pack.

Comfort (again, for me). My feet are tricky, I've found few leather boots I can get a long with long term due to sweat, I love the higher breathability of fabric boots. Also, fabric boots either fit, or they dont, not much walking in needed which can be good for a first time buyer. And with fabric boots in general being less rigid I find walking in them simply more comfortable.

The only real drawback in my opinion of fabric boots is durability vs leather ones, especially higher end leather boots which can easily be resoled. (Fabric boots can as well, but imo hardly worth it.)

Agreeing with you tho, look after your feet and they'll look after you. It's one of those things I'd never skimp on, I'd rather spend extra and be comfortable.

*goes to tend to his 4 pairs of boots/shoes*

I was of the very same opinion regarding weight and breathability until I tried the leather KSB's and any brasher leather boots. I was amazed at how light they were, and the KSBs for me, went on like slippers. I even found that the leather KSBs I have are lighter than my fabric KSBs.

Getting into walking more due to the Geocaching, and would like some sort of walking shoe, probably not a heavy boot though.

So, 2 questions

1)Any recommendations? I'm not doing anything too serious, so am just thinking of a shoe/trainer type, with the usual waterproof/breathable material.

Thanks for any input.

I seem to be in a bit of a minority (of one!). I use leather Scarpa boots for just about ALL my caching. it's not exactly what you were asking for, but I find the extra support of a stout boot is often of benefit even when I don't expect to be on rough ground. They are so comfortable (with a first class pair of socks, of course, as mentioned by someone else) that I'd be happy to wear them all day and every day <_< .

Rgds, Andy

I wear short (ankle) riding boots, they're leather with a zip up the front. Riding boots are designed to be light and hard wearing and some help good posture if you are on your feet all day. Mine are by Ariat. They protect my ankles from brambles, and have a thick enough base to stop me from rolling a foot & twisting an ankle (which I have a habit of doing if I wear trainers). To find riding shoes, google 'Ariat, Cheshire'.

I got my kids some Peter Storm hiking trainers from a hiking shop (Not sure which, Millets, Eurohike or Blacks) they were great, but lace ups, so took a long time for them to get on and off.

So, 2 questions

Thanks for any input.

I seem to be in a bit of a minority (of one!). I use leather Scarpa boots for just about ALL my caching. it's not exactly what you were asking for, but I find the extra support of a stout boot is often of benefit even when I don't expect to be on rough ground. They are so comfortable (with a first class pair of socks, of course, as mentioned by someone else) that I'd be happy to wear them all day and every day <_< .

Rgds, Andy

Only reason I don't have scarpa boots is because I couldnt afford them at the time of buying my latest boots!

My father in law has Scarpa boots and loves them, and I can see why.

Thanks for all the replies. Might take a trip to Stockport as I've also been recommend 'Go Outdoors' there as well.

So many options to take in though! Think a fabric shoe would suit me best, but will give some of the lighter leather options a go.

On the Salomon thing, I saw a feature on the Gadget Show (I know not the best place for reviews!) that had a pair of these come out top. Brian Blessed was a big fan of them! Apparently he does alot of walking.

Sounds like its best to avoid this brand though, so will probably ignore these.

Edited by mintfresh

So, 2 questions

Thanks for any input.

My thoughts for what they are worth "vibram" Soles are normally good, although not as hard wearing as they used to be.

I like ankle style boots for caching rather than trainer style, helps keep my ankles protected from thorns, wading small puddles streams, muddy patches etc.

What ever you buy make sure they are comfortable to start with. I do not follow the theory they will wear in.

I am always shopping for boots, looking for the good deal on the right boot. I frequently find Millets like Cheshire oaks have nice boots in on offer although you have to know what you want. Blacks Cotswolds are good as the staff can generally give advice, if a tad expensive.

I have not tried go outdoors, although I have been a fan of Decathalon for years. MY sister lives in france and I always visit decathlon if there. Although you do tend to get what you pay for...

I've been using a pair of Berghaus Explorer Trek GTX boots for the last two and a half years. They're very light, less than 650gm per boot, Gortex lined and very comfortable. I wouldn't like to estimate how many miles they've done but it's not just a few! They were waterproof when they were new but now they've started to show signs of wear and a couple of hundred yards through wet grass will start to push water in through the fabric on top, at the bottom of the lacing eyes. Would I buy another pair...? Yes, I probably would.

I don't normally buy expensive boots, shoes ,clothes for caching / walking. My last pair of shoes were a pair of hitec waterproof walking trainers that lasted 600miles plus now wearing regata walking trainers I wear these every where, in all but the most wet/damp conditions. If I know its going to be wet muddy or boggy I wear Hitec leather boots. Look around and most of all try them on before buying.

I have to agree with the McArthur Glen outlets - good for trespass and regata shops and Go Outdoors for the special offers.

I have an ancient pair of leather CAT walking boots, lightweight and pale pink, that I didn't think would last five minutes but have actually been on all sorts of caching adventures and lived to tell the tale.

Otherwise, a pair of pale brown suede Brasher shoes (£29, TKMaxx), a pair of Timberland trainers (£20, TKMaxx) and a pair of Merrell lightweight summer trainers (can't remember the cost but from TKMaxx)

Guessed the common theme yet?

I'd definately recommend visiting an outdoors shop and having someone look at your feet and measure you up. The shape of shoes varies from brand to brand so what fits one person perfectly may be uncomfortable for someone else. A good boot fitter will be able to advise you on this.

If you're looking for something with a waterproof/breathable membrane then goretex XCR and E-vent are more breathable than the standard goretex.

Socks, consider a decent walking sock, I'd recommend a proper walking/technical sock over a standard cotton/wooly one.

Footbeds, a decent footbed can make a difference too, especially if you pronate/supinate or get sore heels after a long day on your feet. Again a decent outdoor boot fitter will be able to look at your feet and advise.

And remember, no matter how decent your footwear is, don't expect them to last if you don't maintain them. I've seen loads of expensive pairs of trekking boots that people have tried to return when they've got them wet/muddy walking the dog every morning and just taken them off and left them in the porch to rot. Cleaning and treating/reproofing outdoor footwear will make them last longer.

I've got a pair of Salomons ankle boots which were brought earlier this year. Very comfy and completely waterproof and lightweight. Before this I had a pair of Zamberlain boots which were fantastic and lasted me about 7 years. The Zamberlain's were tougher but also heavier and hotter.

As others on here have said, you need to try a few pairs on and see what suits you best. Also depends on the state of the terrain your on - if it's a nice warm, dry day then I'll still wair trainers unless I'm out for a long walk.

My partner has a pair of merrells - they seem very good too.

Also, another vote here for Go Outdoors, they have a good selection and will also beat any UK based internet deal by 10% - providing it's exactly the same (including colour)!

This isnt advertising but I wear no other shoes than MBT (Massei Barefoot Technology)

Sandals for all weahter other than snow (when I have a pair of MBT trainers)no socks.Feet are easy to wash and what is a bit of mud? Stinging nettle whelts done last that long either.The sandals and trainers are good as new after a gently cycle in the washing machine.

MBTs are not pretty,they have a thick concave sole so you "rock " along in a very orthopaedically sound fashion.They are fantastic for worn out metatarsal fatpads( I am an ex londistance runner(used to train barefoot in my teens) and if anyone suffers from plantar fasciitis they fix that too.

They are great for embarrasing teenage daughters with as well!

MBTs Rock!

This isnt advertising but I wear no other shoes than MBT (Massei Barefoot Technology)

Sandals for all weahter other than snow (when I have a pair of MBT trainers)no socks.Feet are easy to wash and what is a bit of mud? Stinging nettle whelts done last that long either.The sandals and trainers are good as new after a gently cycle in the washing machine.

MBTs are not pretty,they have a thick concave sole so you "rock " along in a very orthopaedically sound fashion.They are fantastic for worn out metatarsal fatpads( I am an ex londistance runner(used to train barefoot in my teens) and if anyone suffers from plantar fasciitis they fix that too.

They are great for embarrasing teenage daughters with as well!

MBTs Rock!

Hold it hold it... What about all those stingers in summer :laughing: I often make the mistake with shorts :D but sandals :rolleyes: Ouch!

hi you could just spray trainers with a waterproofing spray which you can get from most outdoor stores or WD40 works to smells a bit. I have a pair off nike walking boots cost about 25 pounds at that price they last a year i'am happy i waterproof them too happy caching