HELP!

I just used my Garmin Vista HCx to find a geocahe after work yesterday and when I went to use it today, it wouldn't lock on to any satellites. I put fresh batteries in, etc, with no resolve.

All I get is the circles with the N, S, E, & W, no bars at the bottom, no rotating satellites, NOTHING.

What could be wrong? Any suggestions? It has never been dropped and it has only been used maybe 50 times, tops.

Thanks!

Helga

I just used my Garmin Vista HCx to find a geocahe after work yesterday and when I went to use it today, it wouldn't lock on to any satellites. I put fresh batteries in, etc, with no resolve.

All I get is the circles with the N, S, E, & W, no bars at the bottom, no rotating satellites, NOTHING.

When you power it on, and you get the initial satellite acquisition screen, by any chance does it say "GPS is Off" at the top instead of "Acquiring Satellites"? If so, press the lower left side button, and select "Use with GPS On". With GPS off, you get no satellites view and no bars.

Edited by ecanderson

My first suggestion would be to try one more time to acquire the satellites, using the following procedure (from the garmin website):

To try to acquire a satellite fix:

1. Go to the Satellite page.

2. Press Menu.

3. Select New Location.

4. Select Automatic.

To acquire satellites, leave the unit outdoors with an open sky view for at least 20 minutes.

If that doesn't correct the problem, you might have to do a master reset (save the stored information that you don't want to lose before you do it). The following instructions for a master reset also are from the garmin website:

If the eTrex is not responding correctly, for example it is not receiving a satellite signal, it may be necessary to perform a master reset. This can also be used if you want to restore the factory default settings. To reset the device please follow these steps:

1. Turn off the device

2. Press PAGE, ENTER and POWER.

3. You will see a message on the screen that says "Do you really want to erase all user data?". Select Yes.

4. The device will now reboot, leave it with a clear view of the sky for 30 minutes to acquire the satellite almanac.

Please be aware that a master reset will erase all waypoints or favorites and will restore your device to the default factory settings.

Argh, I am so frustrated :smile:

I kept trying to do the master reset thing and it wasn't working for me. I finally got one satellite circling the thing but that is all it will do. (Then I finally got it to do a master reset and I still have that one, lone satellite and nothing else)

Any other ideas/suggestions.

I doubt it is still under warranty. I got it when they were first released.

**ETA: My software version is pretty old, so I just did a software update. It said that a chipset update was also available. I tried the chipset update 3 times and it failed each time. What does that mean?

Thanks

Helga

Edited by helkat22

**ETA: My software version is pretty old, so I just did a software update. It said that a chipset update was also available. I tried the chipset update 3 times and it failed each time. What does that mean?

Helga

It means that the Garmin updater was unable to move the new firmware to the GPS chip itself. I've never had that happen, much less 3 times in a row. Here's hoping someone else here has an idea.

What version unit and chip firmware do you have now?

Believe it or not sometimes you really have to let it bake under an open sky for a long time, at least an hour. Put your car out in the driveway away from buildings and leave it on the dashboard. That's the safest place.

Check it every twenty minutes and press continue, if that's the option.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Believe it or not sometimes you really have to let it bake under an open sky for a long time, at least an hour. Put your car out in the driveway away from buildings and leave it on the dashboard. That's the safest place.

Check it every twenty minutes and press continue, if that's the option.

Okay! I am going to do that right now! I am so frustrated...but I am also a shop-a-holic, so I may use this as an excuse to run out and buy one of those fancy, touch screen models :smile:

Having more than one gps is darn near a requirement in my opinion but don't give up on your Vista it's a great unit. If you are still having problems talk to Garmin. It might take a bit to get through to customer service but once you do you'll find their service exceptional.

Do not send them an email, call and hold until you get through. After this effort don't jump through loops trying things they suggest. Just insist sending it to them and they'll likely send you a brand new one just to close the issue.