Endura map card question

Just curious if anyone has puchased the Endura map card.I would like to know what you think,how is the detail,roads,terrain?I cant find any pics of what they look like,if someone could post one that would be great.EnduraExpert?I would just like to see what they look like before shelling out the cash.Thanx.

I'm running one of the Topo map cards on my Out & Back. The road and terrain detail is quite good in comparison to the base map and I appreciate the topo contour level of 20 ft. In my opinion the road and feature detail is not as good as MapCreate on my H20c but that is comparing apples and oranges I suppose. Cascades GPS has the cards for $69.49.

I'm running one of the Topo map cards on my Out & Back. The road and terrain detail is quite good in comparison to the base map and I appreciate the topo contour level of 20 ft. In my opinion the road and feature detail is not as good as MapCreate on my H20c but that is comparing apples and oranges I suppose. Cascades GPS has the cards for $69.49.

Any way you could post or e-mail me a screenshot?

Correct me if I am wrong, but from what I understand there are basically 2 choices of topography mapping that you can purchase for the Enduras.

Topo maps from mapselect.com

Topo maps put out by accutera??

Well I guess 3 if you can use mapselect's BLM mapping of the western U.S.

Anyone use both types of topo maps? Which one do you think is better? Acuterra's maps are about $100 right? Are they worth it compared to the topos put out by mapselect?

Edited by texas republic

Correct me if I am wrong, but from what I understand there are basically 2 choices of topography mapping that you can purchase for the Enduras.

Topo maps from mapselect.com

Topo maps put out by accutera??

Well I guess 3 if you can use mapselect's BLM mapping of the western U.S.

Anyone use both types of topo maps? Which one do you think is better? Acuterra's maps are about $100 right? Are they worth it compared to the topos put out by mapselect?

From a prior thread I responded to:

You can check out this thread in addition to what follows:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=238971

The microSD "Advanced Outdoor Content" Acuterra Mapping cards from Lowrance are extremely nice. They are superior to everything I've tried commercially as well as third party for mapping from the other manufacturers. The topographic maps use a digitized relief shading and "color blending" that lets you see the topography in imagery form like in satellite CDOQQ imagery or when in hybrid mode, with contour lines. You don't need it for geocaching but for everything else, I can't think of a reason why you wouldn't want to use it. They are available for significantly less than the retail price of $99 from CascadeGPS.com at $69.49 and they cover a very sizable chunk of the US on each card.

Also, the Mapselect Imagery mapping is quite good, in my opinion, superior to the Delorme mapping (downloaded imagery). I prefer the e-topo (which is USGS 1:24k topographic maps scaled just like the paper maps) and BLM imagery myself for most outdoor pursuits but do use the Aerial for alot of scouting (preseason hunting, lakes, trails, etc.) and am happy to have access to it from the Endura's. The Mapselect mapping is great as a "support" tool for the Acuterra maps. So the quick answer is yes, get the $1/quad Mapselect maps for what you need until you can afford the Acuterra regional maps. Then use the Mapselect imagery mapping to "boost" your Acuterra mapping detail with e-topo, BLM and satellite imagery. Both types of maps really rock.

Hope this helps.

Be safe.

N

Hey Native,

Can you please discuss your prior statement below a little more?

"Then use the Mapselect imagery mapping to "boost" your Acuterra mapping detail with e-topo, BLM and satellite imagery. Both types of maps really rock."

I have some of the e-topo maps from mapselect, and agree that they are quite helpful. However, I am also interested in the Acuterra maps as well. How exactly do you "boost" the Acuterra with the e-topo from mapselect? Are you meaning just switch between the two to fill in any gaps of data, or is there a way to view them which would serve better?

I understand that you can display POI details within your basemap onto your imagery map by using hybrid mode, but cannot figure out a way you would use mapselect e-topo to "boost" your accuterra maps. Can you even display them at the same time? I thought you would only be able to display one at a time since they are both a imagery map. :rolleyes:

Using hybrid mode in the area (SW Texas) I am at would not "boost" my imagery maps at all I dont believe. Other than the basic contour lines, no additional data is available on my base map in that area. Its far in the sticks. :ph34r:

=================

Another side question. I notice that my e-topo maps only become visible until I get a certain zoom level. Is there a way to set them

What PC software program is most user friendly in managing your waypoints, trails, etc. in the Endura?

Edited by texas republic