Prefix & Numbers

JoGPS

You have got it Made

I have looked at different areas of the US and see that the prefix to the benchmarks numbers are not the same everywhere which is a good thing. I hunt geocaches by the GC# and anywhere this would not be a problem but 90% of all my benchmarks have a prefix of , ( YOU GUESSED IT ) GC#. I never know what I am hunting till I drive up and there is no park Heeeee, Heeeee. Are there any other GC# prefixes out there on benchmarks but here in Tennessee.

JOE

The prefix and numbers you're referring to are call the Permanent Identifier or PID. Since the stamping or name of each mark is not unique (e.g. there are numerous marks stamped B 200) a unique PID is assigned to each control monument published by NGS in the National Spatial Reference System. The prefixes are regional and do not repeat. The 4 number identifier is randomly generated.

quote:
Originally posted by DaveD:

The prefix and numbers you're referring to are call the Permanent Identifier or PID. ... The prefixes are regional and do not repeat. The 4 number identifier is randomly generated.

Are they RANDOMLY generated, or SEQUENTIALLY generated? Many times, the PIDS in a certain area will all have PIDs that area very nearly sequentially numbered, and I've noticed that newer benchmarks usually have higher numbers.

I always figured the PIDs are generated sequentially when they are added to the NGS database.

web-lingbutton.gif ntga_button.gif