Your Caching Companion

I have seen several posts about taking the family out, getting together with a friend or someone met at an event to go caching. Even a few who have hooked up by posting they will cache in some location and invited others to join them. Tell us about your caching buddies and why you like caching with them.

I generally have one or both of my daughters with me. Both of them love the outdoors and are just fun to be with. Plus we are building memories and shared experiences that we can talk and laugh about for years to come. My eldest enjoys reading about covert operations and spy trade craft so locating a nano with some muggles around makes her day. My youngest love to trade out for swag and travel items so when she finds some neat item or a TB she just lights up!

There are always things to be learned from the activity, but the best part is knowing that they still want to spend time with their daddy.

My favorite caching companions never complain about where we go or what caches we look for. In fact they never even look for the cache. They are just thrilled to be out and going with me where ever that is.

Of course, my favorite caching companions are my two dogs. :smile:

I take my dog as well.

I started with my now 12 year old son, but he doesn't want to go because of the drive and the walk.

My wife is often my caching companion. What I like about caching with her is that she not only never complains, she is sometimes the one pushing me to do another cache. She'll hike 5 miles for a cache in 2 feet of snow, or 95 degree heat. She'll slog through swamps, whatever. The only thing that stops her are caches that involve heights. She'll sit and watch while I go for those.

Met my caching companion at an event. She's a bit obsessed with caching. We are close to the same age so we are about physically matched, two old ladies plogging along the trail. When I first met her she was just a newbie which was good because I could usually find the cache before she did. :) Then she started getting experience at finding caches and beating me to them. Beating me ...thought I'd have to get new partner... Nah. :smile:

My caching partner is my son, who is quick to point out that he's NOT 11, he's "11.75" years old. He's an excellent caching buddy because he loves nature and being outside, he's silly and has a great sense of humor, and he's interesting to talk to. And he's always up for spending a few hours, or all day, running around looking for caches. He's pretty darn good as well, and often finds the cache before I do. Most of all, I love spending that casual one-on-one time with him, the misadventures we often have, and the memories that are being created.

I usually cache alone, but sometimes the wife comes with me.

I like caching with my wife because, well, she's my wife and I like doing things with her. We have a lot of fun and she is as mischievous as I am, maybe more; so we always have a good laugh over some silly thing.

I also have a good friend that likes to cache and even though we've only been out once together, it was a good time. Gotta get out with my bud again :smile:

I usually cache alone, but sometimes the wife comes with me.

I like caching with my wife because, well, she's my wife and I like doing things with her. We have a lot of fun and she is as mischievous as I am, maybe more; so we always have a good laugh over some silly thing.

I also have a good friend that likes to cache and even though we've only been out once together, it was a good time. Gotta get out with my bud again :smile:

What he said.

I've got a friend I cache with. Makes it more fun. And having a second pair of eyes is really good sometimes. Also, he has an iPhone with the official app so it's nice to get the full info on the cache instead of having to print out or write down stuff in advance. He also has a good knack for spotting 35mm film canisters in small trees (usually walks into them). :smile:

There's so much I like about my partners that it is hard to know what to say. :smile:

One is an excellent navigator, naturalist, and source of all kinds of information. One is "obsessed" :) but a blast to be around. The third is just out for a good time and conversation. Me??... I'm willing to drive and I love planning road trips for us.

Each of us in the group compliments the others so we all work well together.

My cache buddy is my dog.

We do mostly bush finds, and being the natural explorer, she finds the easiest path for me.

I do bush caches BECAUSE I have a dog. She loves being outdoors. So do I.

She's also a great cover story too, as to why I'm there.

I have taken my Mum along on a few finds. She'll help me search at GZ, but I get us to the GZ first - I'm a bit possessive of my GPSr. <_< (and have you ever tried to teach a 70-year-old how to use technology?)

I started caching alone. It was great to have quiet time after a long shift in an ambulance with other peoples problems. Then I decided it probably wasnt such a good idea to be strolling in some of the out of the way places I was at alone so I introduced my neighbor to caching. Best thing I ever did.

We take turns driving, although she is a terrible navigator, but I now direct. We have totally different ways of tracking, but usually end up at the same location soon.The extra eyes are always good as we have each found the cache after the other has already looked 'there' & didnt.

I benefit the most as there as some places I wont go in because of the slither factor & she is insane & will go anywhere.

But I think the best part is I can be 'me' & do some stupid stuff that many would think is ridiculous. It's just a blast & we dont stop laughing the entire time. We can be 'kids' again & it's OK. As a matter of fact it is encouraged. I look forward to every time we go out.

<_< I usually hunt with my 5 year old son, Goe Jounior, because he is small he is able to get the caches hidden in the bushes around here, plus he make a excuse.. "Now where did you drop you toy this time?" Some times I will have muggle mom and my 10 month old daughter, Geo Micro, with me also. Someone has to push the stroller while I am getting all muddy with my son. ;)