White Wooden Witness Posts

jeff35080

I have found quite a few old benchmarks along with their associated witness post signs but I have yet to recover one that is listed as being marked with a white wooden witness post. I appears that those with these wooden posts were placed here in the 30's. I know that most likely the wood has been reclaimed by nature, but I'm curious if anyone has a picture of what one of these old white wooden witness posts looks like? I am picturing in my mind a 4" X 4" post.... am I right?

Jeff

http://www.StarsFellOnAlabama.com

http://www.NotAChance.com

If you hide it, they will come....

I don't have a photo of them that I can fin. They started using them in the late 40's. I have found a number of the posta over the years that were placed in 1948. The are 4" Sq about 2 ft high set in concrete. The are painted white with the letters U S B M stenciled on one side from top to bottom. Most of them though have rotted away with time, the one in found were all under heavy tree cover. I found a mint looking one and I gave it to a fellow surveyor for his private museum collection of survey marks.

I've been lucky enough to find a number of benchmarks that have the witness posts still intact. The climate here is drier than in many parts of the country and the wood posts sometimes last longer. When I find a benchmark with a witness post, I like to post pictures of the witness posts also. Here are a couple that I've found with good pics of the posts. I mention in the picture descriptions that the 'U S B M' is etched into the witness posts, but it is actually more of a weathered into the posts rather than etched in.

HR0678 & HR0679

Hope this helps in your hunts!

Keep on Caching!

- Kewaneh