Benchmarks and highway construction

NevaP

I've just started Benchmark hunting and I am wondering how protected they are. Anybody know what happens to Benchmarks when the heavy machinery moves in for highway construction? Do they just rip them up? I collected a bunch of Benchmarks to look for along some west Palm Beach county Florida roads that were nice rural places when I was last down there. Last week I found that Jog road, described as a dead end, is now a busy six lane divided highway surrounded by gated communities and golf courses. Beanchmark Coordinates are in the middle of traffic lanes. Hagen road, the next one west, is all torn up and under construction, being "upgraded" to the same condition. Bench mark coordinates are smack in the middle of the mess.

Neva in Nebraska

Benchmarks in rapidly developing areas seldom survive long. One of the many tasks of the surveyors involved in such projects is to locate any markers that are in areas to be demolished and transfer the coordinates and/or elevation from the doomed marker to a new point or points nearby before the demolition occurs. This is standard operating procedure, so the network is preserved and even multiplied, although the original markers gradually pass away.