Orca watching in Seattle/Canada areas?

Kealia

Hey gang,

It's been quite a while since I've not only seen you guys but even spoken to you through the forums. Life gets busy and I no longer with the client that used to bring me to the Seattle area :surprise:

My wife (Hula Bum) is looking for a place to stay in the area (speaking very generally here) where there is the opportunity to do some orca watching - and of course grab a few caches. If anybody can recommend places to stay (areas or even specific places if you know of them) it would be greatly appreciated. I think she's looking to do it soon, but if there are better times please let me know.

I hope you are all doing well!

Best wishes,

Ron

Best most reliable place to see Orcas as far as I know is Lime Kiln Point on San Juan Island. It has been some time since I was there, but at the time there was a professor studying them and he set up shop on that spot every day as I recall around noon and they would generally pass by there about that time. I watched them from the point as they rounded it and probably got a better view of them then all those chase boats. Mind you, this was a number of years ago.

Good to hear from you again. It has been some time since we heard from you.

For orca watching, I would suggest some place in the San Juan Islands. There is a resident pod that hangs out in that area fairly often. Perhaps something around Friday Harbor. I'm not sure if they have whale watching boats out of there or not, but it should if it doesn't. There are also some good caches on that island.

There are also some good caches on that island.

I'll put a plug in for one of my favorites right now, Mausoleum, one of the most interesting locations I have ever visited.

Best most reliable place to see Orcas as far as I know is Lime Kiln Point on San Juan Island.

A couple of years ago when up there that was the busiest spot we found on the Island with the exception of the ferry line that is.

I'll put a plug in for one of my favorites right now, Mausoleum, one of the most interesting locations I have ever visited.

I'll second the recommendation for the Mausoleum cache - it's an awesome location to visit. It's one of those "Wow, I never would have found that if it weren't for geocaching!" locations for me.

I did go on a whale watching cruise out of Friday Harbor a couple of years ago and it was really awesome. Friends and I went to Lime Kiln Point to see if we could see any whales from there - we didn't, but we also didn't stay very long. Either way, that place is definitely worth visiting. I know there are kayak whale watching tours up there, but you're less likely to see the whales doing that than you are with the boat trip.

Thanks for all the input! I think we will be headed to San Juan Island for a couple days and then Orcas Island for a couple. Lime Kiln State Park is on my short list as is Moran State Park on Orcas. I will def. be heading to the cache recommended here, that is my absolute favorite part of caching, the places I never would have seen otherwise. Any other great must do caches out there?

Again, thanks for all the input, it helps so much!

Hi Ron,

Orcas Island is a BEAUTIFUL place to stay, has some breathtaking views you will find when you are out geocaching (Mt Constitution is a must). The whale watching tour I would by far recommend is Deer Harbor Charters. They have a GREAT respect for the whales and the environment and are very knowledgeable. You will learn about all the surrounding islands and wildlife as you are heading out to see the whales. If convenient leave from the dock at Rosario. Deer Harbor Charters has a kiosk next to the Orcas Suites office which located right on the dock. Rosario is another must see on Orcas. Go visit the museum and listen to Christopher Peacock's historical piece on Rosario and Moran State park. Girls night out for dinner at Bilbo's mexican restaurant or Ships Bay Inn. Lunch at the Madrona Bar and Grill will get you a great view and then walk around the town and shop the cute little stores (no shopping malls or franchises). Lots of great pottery shops on the island as well. How's that sound for a girls weekend?

Have fun!