Stopped by Law Enforcement

My town asked me to place geocaches and host an event for the 125th anniversary. I took the time to go down to the station and talk to the Chief. I explained the basic concept, and and that they will most likely come across someone out caching. They were ok with it. They were more concerned with someone stealing the boxes.

~snip~

Oh and to the other cacher who said he would just tell them he is doing a "GEO dead-drop". Thats a good way to get your a** shot or arrested. The officers can make your life hell if they really want to. I have seen the list of the things that they can give you a ticket for. And I am sure they could give your a ticket for dropping some swag into a cache. i.e. littering I'm not sure what the fine in your state is for littering but here in California is $1000 so be nice and don't give the sport a bad name.

Do you even know what a "dead drop" is?

Any cop who was aggressive at someone doing a dead drop would likely get fired.

The rest of the comment seems a little paranoid. I assure you that police are human beings. Any cop who would write you a ticket for putting swag in a cache is likely going to write you a ticket for anything he can. That's NOT a good cop.

ok, now i have to ask, what is a dead drop

There's this thing called the 4th admendment... In fact, in Oregon, an officer can ask for ID from anyone, but you don't have to show him. If he requires it from you, now you have been stopped, and there has to be cause for that.

-Mark.

Actually, Oregon was one of the specific states where I have seen this in work. By the time a cop has asked you for ID, they already have probable cause. (you were poking around in a bush, looking in circles, lurking in a playground.) If you looked normal walking down the street they wouldn't stop. That would be a boring day if they stopped and ID'd every person walking down the street. While they may seem stupid to us, a lot of things geocachers do are considered suspicious. You may feel it's your right (you may end up winning your argument too) but it's gonna be a lot more inconvenient for you then it is for Mr. Cop.

~snip~

Oh and to the other cacher who said he would just tell them he is doing a "GEO dead-drop". Thats a good way to get your a** shot or arrested. The officers can make your life hell if they really want to. I have seen the list of the things that they can give you a ticket for. And I am sure they could give your a ticket for dropping some swag into a cache. i.e. littering I'm not sure what the fine in your state is for littering but here in California is $1000 so be nice and don't give the sport a bad name.

The rest of the comment seems a little paranoid. I assure you that police are human beings. Any cop who would write you a ticket for putting swag in a cache is likely going to write you a ticket for anything he can. That's NOT a good cop.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_drop

It's remarkably similar to geocaching, wouldn't you agree?

~snip~

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_drop

It's remarkably similar to geocaching, wouldn't you agree?

yes i agree, very interesting article

~snip~

Ok, I'm gonna bite. What is a "Dead Drop"?

LEO: You got any ID?

GEO: Am I suspected of committing a crime?

LEO: Well, err.. No.

GEO: Am I free to go?

---------------------

It is my understanding (from another activity where you would get stopped by LEO more) that if you are not suspected of committing a crime then you do not have to provide identification. At least that's how it is in my state. (Unless you are in a car.) If you aren't doing anything that is wrong then both of your time will be wasted.

What say you Riffster or any other LEO?

Many states require that a police officer positively identify everyone they come into contact with. That means if you upset a police officer by needlessly saying no, they can take you to jail until you provide a valid ID or they can fingerprint you (hopefully you're in their system). Why not just show them your ID if you're not breaking the law? It seems that by not cooperating you are just asking for trouble. I've siad it here before; There are lots of people that get arrested because of a bad attitude. You could keep that attitude and go to jail, or you could lose it and get a ticket or even a warning.

M24

There's this thing called the 4th admendment... In fact, in Oregon, an officer can ask for ID from anyone, but you don't have to show him. If he requires it from you, now you have been stopped, and there has to be cause for that.

-Mark.

You sound like a lot like a guy I work with. He will go out of his way and cause himself a great deal of headache just to prove a point, when if he simply just did what was asked, he could be on his way in no time. Just seems silly to me. But to each his own I reckon. Hand over your ID and be done with it, or spend the next few hours down at the prescient to prove your point. Hmmm, tough call.

I got stopped by police today. I'm in the club!

It was the morning rush hour downtown in a large city. Everyone is going somewhere.

The cache is under a very busy footbridge (perfectly valid placement in this case, so let's not argue this)

It required shimmying along a 1 foot wide footing next to the pylon, then searching for the box in the steel I-beams above.

I find the box, and sit down where I am, facing the river, legs dangling over the water. Next thing I know, a Water Police boat sidles up, and they're asking what's up: this is a pretty unusual spot to sit.

So I said I'm from up the country, I hate people and I just had to get away from the crowd. I was prepared to tell the whole truth, but they accepted my explanation, reminded me to be careful, and off they went.

Phew!

My sleeveless checkered shirt, jeans and rugged boots probably helped my story, too. <_<

I myself have only been approached 1 time and that was after I was coming out of a freezing cold creek after wading across waist deep water. I had not yet had my tags made for "The Beast" and had to explain what I was doing. Officer Friendly was very cool with it and now geocaches himself with his boys. He also explained the game to his commander and now they explain it to the new recruits at the State Police training facility nearby. The only other time I got a phone call was about one of my caches that a pastor had given permission for but neglected to inform the congregation about it and someone called the police after seeing another cacher playing with a light bonnet. Anyway after all was said and done I had tags made for my vehicle ("The Beast") and I have not yet been stopped or asked. I have had a vehilce pull up behind me and then drive off while waiving.

Check out the picture below. I have one one the back and one on each side to look official. Plus now since I have new more off-road capable tires and suspension he looks (and is) more off-road capable and fits the tags well.

24a67d8e-d05f-44b8-bddb-9397f9d9dcbe.jpg

b4f9626e-0c1b-40e2-9eb0-80803ee243fe.jpg

Odie

Edited by Odie442

Why not just show them your ID if you're not breaking the law?

For the same reason that I sometimes openly carry a sidearm: The constitution says it's my right, and if we never exercise our rights, we are in danger of losing them.

In the United States of America, we have no law that requires you to "show ID" to anyone, except under specific circumstances. If you are operating a motor vehicle, you can be required to show a license. If the officer has probable cause to suspect you of a crime, you can be required to show ID. If an officer is just asking for ID out of habit, or curiosity, then he can go stuff it.

For the same reason that I sometimes openly carry a sidearm: The constitution says it's my right, and if we never exercise our rights, we are in danger of losing them.

In the United States of America, we have no law that requires you to "show ID" to anyone, except under specific circumstances. If you are operating a motor vehicle, you can be required to show a license. If the officer has probable cause to suspect you of a crime, you can be required to show ID. If an officer is just asking for ID out of habit, or curiosity, then he can go stuff it.

Actually, I think you are trying to make a point where there is none.

Suspicion of a criminal act doesn't necessarily require you to show ID. If need be (and is far better than a paper ID anyway), your fingerprints are always at hand (excuse the pun).

---------

Again, CRIME is not the issue! It is the duty (sorta like a requirement) for an LEO to investigate a suspicious situation. A "suspicious situation" can be an awfully wide range of things. Once investigated, there are two routes for the LEO to take, (1) drop it or (2) continue on with it. Being elusive or confrontational about the contact only increases the chance (many times over) for the LEO to move into option (2).

Attitude does a lot in determining what action the LEO is to take!

So, I guess the choices are yours to make. <_<

Stopped several times in the past 8 years. Questioned briefly more than once. I've had the LEO's help with the search more often that I've been asked for ID. As in most things in life, it is all how you present yourself. But in these situations, first impressions do really matter.

Tell them the truth

In over 9 years of caching and close to 4000 caches I've had one encounter with an LEO, and one security guard.

The LEO was more interested in the pill bottle cache then anything else, I told him what I was doing and he had no problem with it after he found no drugs in the pill bottle <_<

The security guard was in a commercial complex and it was a Sunday, if it had been a Saturday I probably wouldn't have been questioned

I've been treated pretty well in most of the encounters I've ever had with law enforcement, including the time I was processed at the city jail. (Turned myself in, leaving the scene of accident. I was 19 and stupid- but not drunk or high. Just stupid.)

The one run-in I had with a cop while caching turned out very well. I couldn't even get him to take my ID.

---------------------

It is my understanding (from another activity where you would get stopped by LEO more) that if you are not suspected of committing a crime then you do not have to provide identification. At least that's how it is in my state. (Unless you are in a car.) If you aren't doing anything that is wrong then both of your time will be wasted.

Many states require that a police officer positively identify everyone they come into contact with. That means if you upset a police officer by needlessly saying no, they can take you to jail until you provide a valid ID or they can fingerprint you (hopefully you're in their system). Why not just show them your ID if you're not breaking the law? It seems that by not cooperating you are just asking for trouble. I've siad it here before; There are lots of people that get arrested because of a bad attitude. You could keep that attitude and go to jail, or you could lose it and get a ticket or even a warning.

M24

-Mark.

You sound like a lot like a guy I work with. He will go out of his way and cause himself a great deal of headache just to prove a point, when if he simply just did what was asked, he could be on his way in no time. Just seems silly to me. But to each his own I reckon. Hand over your ID and be done with it, or spend the next few hours down at the prescient to prove your point. Hmmm, tough call.

I don't have a problem with supplying my ID when asked and there is a reason. But I will refuse to give ID just because someone wants to see it and run me "just for fun". The officer must be able to articulate why I am being stopped.

Why not just show them your ID if you're not breaking the law?

The Constitution does not say it's your right. The Constitution meerly affirms the right granted by GOD.

-Mark.

Im a police officer here in montana and could tell you that most cops here dont know what geocaching is. There are quite a few "grumpy cops" but like I tell everyone, if your not doing anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about, a cop checking your i.d. is an inconvenience but the one i.d. he doesn't check is the guy scoping out a place to break in to . And I think cracking jokes is a good idea. <_<

~snip~

I do know what a dead drop is. Which is commonly used by drug dealers by the way. But when your encountering a law enforcement officer. They are already suspicious of what your doing in the first place. Theres not need to esclate the situation by saying I'm doing a Geo dead drop. I understand police are human beings but they are also trained to deal with stressful situations and being a smarta*** and not being upfront with what your doing isn't very smart. I mean my god man where have you been since 9-11. You can't even take nail clippers on an airplane. What makes you think that cop wouldn't think twice about tazing you or shooting you on site. If they feel threatened or if the situation becomes hostle. Take a look at your GPS man. From a far and in the dark it looks like a remote. Maybe for a bomb, he doesn't know what your doing. Theres no reason to be a smart because you have the right too.

Edited by Shrekito

---------------------

M24

-Mark.

There's another thing called "presumption of regularity". The judges have heard of it too. If an officer asks you for your ID, show it to him/her. The fourth amendment will not protect you from an ID request.

- Zurfco

I went to find a cache last fall and a State Trooper was sitting in his car a few yards away from GZ. I pulled in next to him and after a "Can I help you" I explained what I was doing. He gave a "Have fun" then I walked over, found the cache, signed the log, replaced cache, waved good bye, and off the to the next.

I wonder if he muggled it? <_<

~snip~

I do know what a dead drop is. Which is commonly used by drug dealers by the way. But when your encountering a law enforcement officer. They are already suspicious of what your doing in the first place. Theres not need to esclate the situation by saying I'm doing a Geo dead drop. I understand police are human beings but they are also trained to deal with stressful situations and being a smarta*** and not being upfront with what your doing isn't very smart. I mean my god man where have you been since 9-11. You can't even take nail clippers on an airplane. What makes you think that cop wouldn't think twice about tazing you or shooting you on site. If they feel threatened or if the situation becomes hostle. Take a look at your GPS man. From a far and in the dark it looks like a remote. Maybe for a bomb, he doesn't know what your doing. Theres no reason to be a smart because you have the right too.

I admit that if a person can't read a police officer then they should drop to the ground in a completely submissive, face planted in the mud, hands behind the head way to make sure there's no chance that the cop could find them as a threat but the rest of us should use our instincts.

If you seriously think a cop might whip out his gun and shoot you because you crack a joke then I hate to tell you who the one with issues is.

I have enough experience with the police that I know what to do, when to do it and how to do it.

BTW, even if it were a drug drop, coming right out and saying it isn't going to make the cop uncomfortable. He might think you are retarded or something but he's not going to tase you because you admit to doing omething wrong.

Once I was caching in a city park late one night, clearly after hours and a cop pulled up and asked us what we were doing. When we told him we were Geocaching, he pointed his lights at the trees and asked if it was in there. We found it, said thanks, waved as he drove off, and we continued on our way.

Then there was this time...

Dead Men Tell No Tales

Now that's funny right thur!!! I'd have killed him. <_<

Whether you are required to provide ID varies by state. It depends upon whether that state has a "stop-and-identify" statute on the books. See the list here.

Thanks! That is very interesting.

I have had encounters with LEO while caching. They are always very professional and courteous. It also helps that I have never been into trouble with the law. <_<

Once I was caching in a city park late one night, clearly after hours and a cop pulled up and asked us what we were doing. When we told him we were Geocaching, he pointed his lights at the trees and asked if it was in there. We found it, said thanks, waved as he drove off, and we continued on our way.

Dead Men Tell No Tales

Oh man, that's fantastic. I would have punched Puzzleman right in the noggin after that. Haha! *applause*

Dead Men Tell No Tales

hmmm, he'd get a beating lol

with friends like that why do you need enemies? lol

There are lots of threads about this. But we always love another one.

I say you should have fun with them unless you are doing something wrong. I've always believed in humor.

If a cop approaches you while doing an urban cache just tell him you are doing a G-E-O dead drop. Then watch the wheels in his brain start to turn.

Simply brilliant advice!!!

:):rolleyes::huh::D

I suppose you also carry a plastic cap gun to point at the police so you can all have one big happy time together.

I say you should have fun with them unless you are doing something wrong. I've always believed in humor.

If a cop approaches you while doing an urban cache just tell him you are doing a G-E-O dead drop. Then watch the wheels in his brain start to turn.

I suppose you also carry a plastic cap gun to point at the police so you can all have one big happy time together.

Yes, because we all know that answering the question of "What are you doing" with something sarcastic that meand "Nothing illegal" is the equivalent of simulating a life threatening movement with a toy.

~RME~

I just love thses hyperbolic replies.

Interesting this came up.....

Spent last weekend camping. One in our group was a young town cop. We did a few caches while riding around. Up to that point he'd only heard of it, but did not know exactly what it was until this trip. He made a comment: "So that's what all those County (Deputies) guys are always doing."

My daughter and I just grinned at each other. We'd had a run-in with a county deputy while caching about a year ago.. That senario started serious until I explained the game and he pulled Geocahcing.com on his car's computer. Soon as he figured out we were cool his "cop face" washed away and he ended up helping out. Even sounded interested himself. Maybe that encounter got his buds into it? Don't know.

Briansnat,

Judging by what you said sounds like you'd have a slam-dunk lawsuit against that Police Department. Especially if you had witnesses to the fact that you broke no laws. Maybe enough jack to buys some really sweet, top-of-the-line caching equipment that you could use in Tahiti and the Swiss Alps. :rolleyes:

---------------------

Let me add that scenario.

LEO: Well, err.. No. Please show your ID.

GEO: I'm doing nothing wrong, what if I refuse?

LEO: Then I will have to cuff you, take you to the station and run your prints, because you are making me believe you have an outstanding warrant for your arrest. Please turn around and place your hands behind your back.

In Michigan, if you fail to present, you can (not necessarily will) be taken in for vagrancy.

Yes, because we all know that answering the question of "What are you doing" with something sarcastic that meand "Nothing illegal" is the equivalent of simulating a life threatening movement with a toy.

~RME~

I just love thses hyperbolic replies.

Actually, I wasn't trying for that to be hyperbolic. I was trying for it to be facetious. And you didn't suggest saying "Nothing illegal". You suggested saying "I'm doing a G-E-O dead drop", following it up by suggesting that you can't go wrong using humor with the police.

I believe that there is only one possible time for humor when being interviewed by police, and that would be as they are letting you go.

More than once I have held out my arms and said "Either arrest me and I'll let my lawyer take care of it or leave me be." When being questioned by police. Usually when the officer is either on a fishing expedition or is so off base as to be laughable. Like the time I got stopped for smiling. Long funny story, that one. Usually I just show 'em my Id and we all get on with life. You just need to take each incident one at a time and judge your reaction accordingly. Having an officer question you while you are skulking about in the bushes at the back of the park should not be a surprise. Face it, you look suspicious. Just show your Id and tell 'em what you're doing. Who knows, the officer may become another geocacher.

In Michigan, if you fail to present, you can (not necessarily will) be taken in for vagrancy.

I hadn't considered how every state is different. I'm not in Michigan. I'm not a real fan of going through all of the hassle simply because [if you are a law abiding citizen] you are tying up each others time.

It is totaly amazing just by reading some of these posts just how many of you could talk your way into jail rather than using a little common sense/courtesy when you are stopped by the Police. Being a self imposed "lawer" that watches to many TV shows or a self proclaimed ACLU activist will not get you anywhere, you can be detained. I did read one post refering to post 911 and yes, we are more suspicious now. And yes, drug dealers have been known to use a GPS to drop off and pick up drugs. So use your head for more than a hat rack or hair factory. If you are stopped by law enforcement, try explain to or show him or her what you are doing, it may save some time, embaresment, and possibly some money. Be safe, be careful, and enjoy our sport.

Mexia Cop

“ The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

How is a Police Officer (an arm of the .Gov) demanding your ID when you are doing nothing wrong or illegal, or even really suspicious not a violation of the above?

I like the Police and respect that they have a tough job. I am always polite and friendly with them, but if they are just asking me for ID, then I will refuse. If they demand ID, then I will comply. I will just not volunteer to give it to them unless they can articulate a reason that I'm being stopped. I will also never, ever consent to a search of my person or property. If they have a reason to search, they will w/o my consent whether I give my permission or not. If a police officer is asking to search your vehicle or person, they are doing it with the intent to find some reason to take you to jail. They're not doing it because it's a good way to kill an evening or to get to know you better.

-Mark.

Edited by GlfWrVt

I've been questioned at least 3 times and I don't have a problem with that. The police are only doing their job. I aways explain Geocaching and 2 of the 3 times they wished me good luck and drove away. The key is be honest. If your doing it legally you should have no fears.

It is totaly amazing just by reading some of these posts just how many of you could talk your way into jail rather than using a little common sense/courtesy when you are stopped by the Police. Being a self imposed "lawer" that watches to many TV shows or a self proclaimed ACLU activist will not get you anywhere, you can be detained. I did read one post refering to post 911 and yes, we are more suspicious now. And yes, drug dealers have been known to use a GPS to drop off and pick up drugs. So use your head for more than a hat rack or hair factory. If you are stopped by law enforcement, try explain to or show him or her what you are doing, it may save some time, embaresment, and possibly some money. Be safe, be careful, and enjoy our sport.

Mexia Cop

Waiving one's constitutional rights is neither common sense or courtesy. It's idiocy. As a LEO, you know that the law is an adversarial process: there's a winner and a loser, as reflected by the "v." in the middle of every case name. The contest starts from the very moment of contact. It's not a "let's just get along and everybody will be happy" sort of thing. The game is played to be won. LEO's play the game every day, giving them a strong advantage.

I know that most citizens are ignorant of their rights and will just go along with every command a LEO gives them. You may not like it when people get all fourth-and-fifth-amendmenty on you, but they're right to do it. I know the derogatory terms police have for people like that: "roadside attorney", etc. That doesn't give police the right to mete out extra-judicial punishment to those who lawfully stand up for themselves.

Even people who have done no wrong (or think they have) can get into trouble. We recently had a thread here about a geocacher in Texas who did no wrong, but was stopped by the police because somebody thought he might be planting a bomb. He got arrested, although the charges were later dropped. He's probably never going to geocache again. He was a CO and archived all his caches. If you read between the lines of the story, he was cooperative-- too cooperative. A big mistake, as it turns out.

ok, true story-happened last night- i live on a country road, i have one cache .3 miles west and i just placed one .6 miles east. the one i just placed was published last night and i forgot to add my sig coin. i prefer to walk or run or exercise. well i ran to the cache, put in the coin, then decided to run down to the local refreshment facility and hang out with some friends. by the time we got done it was 1:50 am. so i started on my trek home and about a 1/3rd of the way back all a sudden a deputy pulled up behind me with the lights on. he asked me what i was doing and i told him i was out for a run, (which i was, i usually run a mile each night, but usually somewhat earlier then 2am) and i offered my id, since i had made a trek into the bush to put the swag into my cache i wore boots lol. he thoughr i was nuts since i waas wearing boots and running. but he just told me to be safe and careful.

i have no problem giving a LEO my id, or doing anything they ask. they are doing their job, why complicate a situation more by being obstinate, or difficult?

I've been stopped by the cops twice, while benchmarking. Not sure why a Brigantine Beach Police Officer would tell me that I cannot stand on a bridge sidewalk in Atlantic City. Oh, well. The other time was for walking on a narrow road. No signs prohibiting that. I told that officer that he should arrest the driver who veered too close (and reported me) for drunk driving!

But anywho... Park personnel... We were walking up the Hudson River Walkway in NYC. The cache was a nano hidden under a metallic picnic bench. I crawled under the bench. My two companions were searching or kibitzing. Up drives a little cart with two park personnel (one was manager of this section.) By this time, I was on my back, with the nano in my fins. The manager was concerned that I was either drunk or homeless. My companions explained geocaching to him. He thought it sounded interesting. And he left, probably thankful that he didn't have to deal with a drunken, homeless Dolphin. Somewhere, there exists a photo of what a drunken, homeless dolphin under a picnic bench looks like...

I recall two geocaching encounters with the police. The first we were doing a cache in a tidal marsh and had to cross a river. Short of swimming the only way around was to use a bridge on the Garden State Parkway, which was a few hundred yards away. It is illegal to walk on the Garden State Parkway. We crossed the river on the bridge then re-entered the marsh and were about 20 yards from the roadway when a state trooper stopped on the shoulder and called us over. He asked us what we were doing and we told him we were exploring the marsh. He warned not to walk on the parkway and left. Good thing he didn't pass by moments earlier when we were on the bridge or we likely would have received a summons.

The second time my wife and I were looking for a cache at a rest area on Route 80 when a state trooper pulled in. He sat in his car and watched me and my wife wander around looking under a storm drain and a picnic table. I was certain he was going to pull up and question us, but he watched us for a few minutes then went on his way without saying a word. Maybe he had previously encountered geocachers there and knew what we were doing.

Had a scare in Ohio this week, and where I always tell the truth, the "trooper" in this case did not.

Nice cache in a rest area on I80. We had just spent the day having our fuel pump changed after we broke down in PA on the way to Chicago… we were finally on our way and wanted to bag a cache in Ohio. Unfortunately, we were spotted making the re-hide by a guy in a motor home about 50-100 feet away. He happened to be a retired Maryland State Trooper. I only found this out after he approached my family in the building, introduced himself, and asked us what we were doing out there. We explained the exciting game of Geocaching... and he asked us to stick around so we could explain it to the Ohio State Troopers and the Bomb Squad who he said were on the way because of his call. I said no problem... I don't know if a retired state trooper from Maryland has the right to detain us, however I felt things would flow faster and easier if we explained the truth. He was worried that the film canister was going to explode and ruin his motor home which is "his life" and while we waited for the police he explained how dangerous this foolish idea of a game was.

I explained to my 15 year old daughter that this may involve handcuffs and a ride somewhere until we could explain everything to everyone’s satisfaction. I wasn’t worried and we just kept our cool and prepared to face whatever came.

This guy went on to tell us that if we were in Maryland that my wife, daughter and I would have been spread eagle on the ground (as he was a retired state trooper in Maryland (this point came up numerous times))

We hung around for fifteen minutes or so and well, when he said he called the state troopers and bomb squad, what he really meant was he spoke to the Starbucks attendant and asked them to call the rest stop manager. The 20 something year old girl in charge of security showed up and rolled her eyes when we explained what we were doing and this guys reaction… I think she is gonna try geocaching soon… she seemed to think the idea was fun.

The guy said we were free to go (more eye rolling) without mention that the state police and bomb squad were not really on the way. We chatted with the nice young lady for a while longer and asked her if we should stick around just in case. She said that if the cops were really called she would have gotten a pager alert by this time so we were off.

Out of curiosity, can a retired trooper legally detain someone in another state and or throw them to the ground in their home state?

If he was so worried about his precious motor home/life, why didn't he move it out of the expected blast radius? What a knucklehead.

I'm not a lawyer (although my father is and both grandfathers were), and I haven't stayed in a Holiday Inn in years, but I suspect a retired out of state LEO has no jurisdictional rights in a situation like this.

Edited by wimseyguy

Out of curiosity, can a retired trooper legally detain someone in another state and or throw them to the ground in their home state?

Um... no and no.

If some random guy had tried to throw me to the ground... my wife would have beat him over the head with a tire iron.

And I would have called the locals to press charges.

Had a scare in Ohio this week, and where I always tell the truth, the "trooper" in this case did not.

Nice cache in a rest area on I80. We had just spent the day having our fuel pump changed after we broke down in PA on the way to Chicago… we were finally on our way and wanted to bag a cache in Ohio. Unfortunately, we were spotted making the re-hide by a guy in a motor home about 50-100 feet away. He happened to be a retired Maryland State Trooper. I only found this out after he approached my family in the building, introduced himself, and asked us what we were doing out there. We explained the exciting game of Geocaching... and he asked us to stick around so we could explain it to the Ohio State Troopers and the Bomb Squad who he said were on the way because of his call. I said no problem... I don't know if a retired state trooper from Maryland has the right to detain us, however I felt things would flow faster and easier if we explained the truth. He was worried that the film canister was going to explode and ruin his motor home which is "his life" and while we waited for the police he explained how dangerous this foolish idea of a game was.

I explained to my 15 year old daughter that this may involve handcuffs and a ride somewhere until we could explain everything to everyone’s satisfaction. I wasn’t worried and we just kept our cool and prepared to face whatever came.

This guy went on to tell us that if we were in Maryland that my wife, daughter and I would have been spread eagle on the ground (as he was a retired state trooper in Maryland (this point came up numerous times))

We hung around for fifteen minutes or so and well, when he said he called the state troopers and bomb squad, what he really meant was he spoke to the Starbucks attendant and asked them to call the rest stop manager. The 20 something year old girl in charge of security showed up and rolled her eyes when we explained what we were doing and this guys reaction… I think she is gonna try geocaching soon… she seemed to think the idea was fun.

The guy said we were free to go (more eye rolling) without mention that the state police and bomb squad were not really on the way. We chatted with the nice young lady for a while longer and asked her if we should stick around just in case. She said that if the cops were really called she would have gotten a pager alert by this time so we were off.

Hey, at least you weren't bum rushed and pushed into a slough.

As an anwser to your question. A retired ANYONE has no right to do anything. Think of retired as unemployed. He's not a cop. I would have laughed and said "That's a good one" and went on my way.