Stopped by Law Enforcement

This was the second time I have encountered law enforcement while caching (850+ finds). This time they seemed to have no clue about geocaching, so I had to show them the GPSr and explain the whole thing to them They also demanded my ID and ran a check on me. All this was for a cache in a public park. I tried searching this forum, but could not find other topics on this. Could you guys comment and give me links to other people that have encountered this situation. There are a lot of people caching now in "urban" situations now and I am interested in some ideas.

There are lots of threads about this. But we always love another one.

I say you should have fun with them unless you are doing something wrong. I've always believed in humor.

If a cop approaches you while doing an urban cache just tell him you are doing a G-E-O dead drop. Then watch the wheels in his brain start to turn.

Here's a fun thread to read

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=221397

Edited by bittsen
say you should have fun with them unless you are doing something wrong. I've always believed in humor.

As a cop for 30 years I would say they don't have humor and it might not be a good idea.

Yeah, I know what you are saying but if a person is acting, behaving, appearing harmles and they crack a joke, is a "good" cop going to find a reason to punish them?

I've had many (over 10) police encounters while geocaching and only one of them didn't laugh. And that one was a serious jerk with an authority complex.

:surprise: Just this past Monday, the county sherif stopped because I was doing a quick dash and cache and had left my vehicle with the hazard lights on. He was wondering if it was another broken down car. When he saw my gps, he asked "are you geocaching?". I replied that I was and he asked for the details of the cache. He said that the one I was looking for was a DNF for him on 2 occasions. I asked him if he wanted to help and he did. That was my encounter with the LEO. Made a geocaching friend and found one that counted for the both of us.

After reading the posts, I will carry a brochure that explains geocaching just in case I am "caught" again.

I've had 3 encounters. Once they understood what I was doing, and that it was legal and harmless, they were very cool and friendly.

But before that moment, they have to be ready for anything. The 2 night encounters I had, I approached them slowly with my hands out in plain view, waving my flashlight and identifying myself so I didn't surprise them. Nobody got hurt, and I found the caches. :surprise:

:surprise: Just this past Monday, the county sherif stopped because I was doing a quick dash and cache and had left my vehicle with the hazard lights on. He was wondering if it was another broken down car. When he saw my gps, he asked "are you geocaching?". I replied that I was and he asked for the details of the cache. He said that the one I was looking for was a DNF for him on 2 occasions. I asked him if he wanted to help and he did. That was my encounter with the LEO. Made a geocaching friend and found one that counted for the both of us.

After reading the posts, I will carry a brochure that explains geocaching just in case I am "caught" again.

this has got to be the exception not the rule, it is cool none the less

I am not personally in law enforcement, but I have a family that has a long history in the legal proffession and as such on those family gatherings , Xmas, Easter, Turkey day, Fourth of July etc etc the only sound that can be heard at the dinner table is the sound of legal jargon gone bugga zigzag. A couple times the topic of Geocaching had materialised and got my attention. I recall hearing that in some case in California or maybe New York that involved a civil suit with a police department of a police officer that had made an arrest involving a person geocaching had opened the door for geocaching to be adressed in future police briefings of some sort. I don't know all or even many details, but as I do understand that as of some date in late 2009 or beyond all police officers should be completely briefed and informed of the general principles of geocaching.

But one thing.................

When I was listening to this I did not hear if this was something that was being considered or if it was something that had already been put into action. either way, this does mean that in some time soon any confrontations with law enforcement should not involve an uninformed civil service worker.

I know this does not really help in this thread, but it does indicate that like the cell phone, the gps will have its day in the legal system.

2 AM. Kearney, NE. Two cachers searching a stagecoach for a micro with 2 flashlights. One police car pulls up...

... then another...

2:07 AM. Kearney, NE. Two cachers and two cops searching a stagecoach for a micro with 4 flashlights.

2:15 AM. A reluctant DNF is called. Cops and cachers cheerfully say goodbye and part ways.

That's my law enforcement encounter...

say you should have fun with them unless you are doing something wrong. I've always believed in humor.

As a cop for 30 years I would say they don't have humor and it might not be a good idea.

I tried humor once when I was doing nothing wrong. I wound up being stripped naked and beaten with a baton on the precinct floor in front of other laughing cops.

That and half a night in jail (until the desk Sgt found FOP and PBA cards in my wallet along with a photos of my dad and brother in uniform) tells me that humor is not a good idea when confronted by police.

Edited by briansnat

Yeah, I know what you are saying but if a person is acting, behaving, appearing harmles and they crack a joke, is a "good" cop going to find a reason to punish them?

I've had many (over 10) police encounters while geocaching and only one of them didn't laugh. And that one was a serious jerk with an authority complex.

You gotta be careful, it all depends on the joke and the scenario. If they are busy, and answering a suspicious person call, they won't like it if you start playing around. The wrong type of joke at an airport usually results in delayed flights and a rubber glove search.. :surprise:

Except in Portland, where you better drop your GPSr before they either use the stun gun or shoot and kill you.

I AM in Portland and HAVE said I was doing a G-E-O dead drop.

Please don't stereotype Portland Police because of the recent incidents. I am a little familiar with the first one and it looks like the second one was suicide by cop which isn't cool for the officer.

I tried humor once when I was doing nothing wrong. I wound up being stripped naked and beaten with a baton on the precinct floor in front of other laughing cops.

That and half a night in jail (until the desk Sgt found FOP and PBA cards in my wallet along with a photos of my dad and brother in uniform) tells me that humor is not a good idea when confronted by police.

I can't imagine what got you into that scenario but once they haul you to the precinct, the humor would have been turned off if it were me.

There is a time and place for the humor and, agreed, if you can't determine the time and place, better to not try the humor.

We were out this past Saturday with some friends, the husband being a LEO here in the LA area. Of course, geocaching came up in the conversation. His advice: If you are doing nothing wrong, then just be honest about what you are doing. Do not try playing the "stealth" game. And humor only works AFTER you've explained what you are doing and he's cool with it.

The first time I met him, he knew about geocaching somewhat but not all LEOs are so well informed. Carrying the pamphlet with you at all times is a good idea. I carry some in the door pocket of my car but I may just put one in my pocket everytime I'm out, just in case.

Edited by Cache O'Plenty

I have been stopped several times while caching, most of the time I explain myself and all is good. Now this is one time that things went not so good. LINK HERE. I must admit that we picked the wrong time of night, but i guess hindsight is 20/20. I know that the LEO was just doing his job, and I am thankful that they are so vigilant. I can say though that it was quite the experience. My caching buddy I was with was only 18 at the time and only ever been pulled over once.... I think he might have even ummm.. leaked a little.

Edited by orion X

There are lots of threads about this. But we always love another one.

I say you should have fun with them unless you are doing something wrong. I've always believed in humor.

If a cop approaches you while doing an urban cache just tell him you are doing a G-E-O dead drop. Then watch the wheels in his brain start to turn.

Here's a fun thread to read

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=221397

You know, the police never find it as funny as I do. LOL. No, most have a good sense of humor.

I've had 6 LEO encounters in a year and a half of caching and each of them was a little different from the last.

Only one of them I didn't like and it involved three cop cars, four cops, at night, at a small town radio station, in which we "talked" for about twenty minutes. To make a long story short, he wasn't a cacher but his "Good Buddy" next state over was. And he wanted to make sure that I was really a cacher and if I knew my stuff.

My standard conversation with them starts off something like this:

LEO - Good Evening, and what's going on here?

Me - Have you heard of Geocaching?

LEO - No. Why?

Me - It's a game where you try to find stuff that others in the game have hidden.

LEO - What kind of stuff?

Me - Most of the time it's a small plastic or metal containers that hold a logbook that you are to sign to prove you have found it. And that's what I was doing, looking for the container.

LEO - Then what?

Me - Then I go back on the Internet and log that I found it.

Then it goes one of two ways.

LEO - So have you found it? (And if yes) Can I see it?

Or

LEO - Do you have any I.D. on you?

As you can see from my picture, I have long bushy blond hair and stand about 6' 3". Most of the time I've had on a ski jacket (unzipped) with a lot of stuff in the pockets. I always tell them what I'm doing, but I also try to let them know "Geocaching is really fun and they should check it out sometime". And if I have one of the hand-outs its that much easier.

Regardless which way the conversation goes, Rule #1 Never Lie. If I'm going to get in trouble for something, lying will just make it worse.

My experience comes from a cache that was 20 feet up a tree in a farmers field. I had parked on the side of the country road and climbed the tree when I noticed a county sheriff had pulled up behind my car, lights flashing. I hadn't signed the log yet and debated running back to my car but figured since I was already getting a ticket for illegal parking I would take the extra couple of minutes to open the ammo can and sign the log. As I headed back to the car the police officer noticed me and waited for me to approach. When I got close he gruffly asked me what I was doing. I told him about geocaching and he started grilling me, this sounded like a story to him etc. After a couple of minutes he started to laugh at me. Turns out that he was the cache placer. He just wanted to have a little fun with me. I later learned that most of the county sheriffs in Salina County, Kansas are geocachers, including the Kansas reviewer. So if you are ever in Salina County Kansas and find a cache hidden by SASO##### that will be a SAlina Sheriff Officer and their badge number.

Edited by webscouter.

My experience comes from a cache that was 20 feet up a tree in a farmers field. I had parked on the side of the country road and climbed the tree when I noticed a county sheriff had pulled up behind my car, lights flashing. I hadn't signed the log yet and debated running back to my car but figured since I was already getting a ticket for illegal parking I would take the extra couple of minutes to open the ammo can and sign the log. As I headed back to the car the police officer noticed me and waited for me to approach. When I got close he gruffly asked me what I was doing. I told him about geocaching and he started grilling me, this sounded like a story to him etc. After a couple of minutes he started to laugh at me. Turns out that he was the cache placer. He just wanted to have a little fun with me. I later learned that most of the county sheriffs in Salina County, Kansas are geocachers, including the Kansas reviewer. So if you are ever in Salina County Kansas and find a cache hidden by SASO##### that will be a SAlina Sheriff Officer and their badge number.

Now THAT is funny......and a little bit mean too... :ph34r::surprise:

Several weeks ago, we were looking for a cache hidden outside a convenience store. When we pulled up, four police cars were parked outside, and it looked like they were on break and stocking up on snacks. We thought for a minute, then went ahead, pulled out the GPSr and started looking. Every single one of them ignored us. Afterwards, I realized I'd forgotten to take off my court ID when I got off work. Don't know if that had anything to do with it, or if they just knew what geocaching was.

I've been geocaching for about 17 months and have 105 finds. I've only seen one LEO. I was with actually another geocacher, a nice older gentleman who had arrived about the same time I had and we just knew what the other was about. We parked in the same roadside parking area and headed for the guardrail.

As we felt all over it and wiggled at the bolts, a police car came toward us on this country road, slowing down. I couldn't help but keep glancing up as I hadn't had an encounter yet, but the car drove on by and actually pulled into the driveway next to the gaurdrail, stepped out and walked over to the mail box, pulled out the mail and then looked at us. When I looked back up to him, he waved, walked back to his patrol car and continued down the driveway. So, either he was a cacher who had made the find, or could be the CO. My heart was pounding up until his smile. LOL

I've had maybe 8 or 10 encounters with law enforcement over the years in several different states. Mostly in rural areas where they just stopped to see if everything was OK. A few times I've been illegally parked but they didn't say a thing about that. Twice I've gotten my car locked behind gates (once, a town park. the other, private property) and had to call 911 to send someone to get me out. Both times the cops were professional and courteous and DIDN'T EVEN ASK WHAT I WAS DOING! (The private property was an unmarked gate that was next to a county park. I suspect I wasn't the first.)

I always answered any questions fully and truthfully but didn't volunteer anything else. I've never had a bad experience with them.

This was the second time I have encountered law enforcement while caching (850+ finds). This time they seemed to have no clue about geocaching, so I had to show them the GPSr and explain the whole thing to them They also demanded my ID and ran a check on me. All this was for a cache in a public park. I tried searching this forum, but could not find other topics on this. Could you guys comment and give me links to other people that have encountered this situation. There are a lot of people caching now in "urban" situations now and I am interested in some ideas.

One idea would be for geocachers to stop hiding cache containers in urban settings that cause their fellow geocachers to behave in a manner that common sense tells us could likely cause responsible citizens and LEO's to perceive as being suspicious behavior.

You know, things like hiding caches in, around or very near utility junction boxes, equipment lockers, fire suppression system piping, behind shopping malls and in alley ways where our searching techniques might seem as odd and suspicious behavior to the casual observer or a summoned LEO.

Now as for the 10's of thousands of cache containers already occupying such locations..........?

In January we started our quest to complete all of the requirements for Wyoming's well rounded cacher cache. We were able to complete all the requirements and were on our way home and stopped to get the actual cache. We were driving the motor home and pulling the cache mobile and as the cache is about 3 miles down a dirt road we pulled off the interstate at the proper exit in the middle of no where, (nearest town is over 20 miles) parked the motor home and unhooked the car and went to retreive the cache. In about 20 minutes we returned to the motor home and there was a county sheriff waiting for us. He wanted to know what we were doing and we told him. He said that they had a report of a broken down car in the vicinity and a couple of of guys were waving guns around. We assured him that it was not us. Just then another sheriff drove up and he was a cacher so he understood and they went on their way. After we hooked back up and were on our way and got some cell service I got a voicemail that I needed to call the Highway Patrol. I did and they wanted to know if I knew my motor home had been abandoned at the exit. I assured them that it was no longer abandoned and that we were on the road in it. All of this checking on us within 20 minutes was quite impressive.

I too have been stopped by Law Enforcement. And as always honesty is the best policy. Haven't you guys

ever watched "COPS"? The officers always tell people tell me the truth and you will be in alot less trouble. Because if I find out your lieing your going to jail. Anyway I was on my 18th or 19th cache and was in a neighborhood which bordered a field. I was looking for a gaurd rail cache. I had parked by car along side the sidewalk. And was about 10 or 15 feet from my car. When I notice that a R.S.O. ( Riverside County Sheriff) had pulled up behind me. I walked back to my car and kindly waited for him to get out of his car. The conversation was

Officer: How you doing today?

Me: Great, I bet your wonder why I am walking around searching through the weeds next to this

gaurd rail with a G.P.S. in my hand.

Officer: The thought had crossed my mind

Me: I then explained that I was Geocaching and explained the process to him

Officer: Thats a new one I haven't heard that one before.

Me: I then asked if I was doing anything Illegal or if I was breaking some kind of law.

Officer: No your fine. He then explained he was just doing this afternoon rounds. He also asked if I had found it yet.

Me: No :/ I have been searching for quite a while. I then explained that if I don't find it I will move on to another cache.

Officer: Have a good day and stay safe.

My experince with law enforcement also comes from my time as a voulenteer fire fighter. With having talked to numerious law enforcement officers and well as my brother in-law who is R.S.O. that just tell the truth. Most of the time they don't give a s*** what your doing as long as its not illegal and they don't have to write a report on it. You have to understand that these guys deal with the worst that society has to offer. The last thing they need is us being smart asses and give them attitude. When have you ever seen a good example of attiude towards a cop work in someones favor? Oh and to the other cacher who said he would just tell them he is doing a "GEO dead-drop". Thats a good way to get your a** shot or arrested. The officers can make your life hell if they really want to. I have seen the list of the things that they can give you a ticket for. And I am sure they could give your a ticket for dropping some swag into a cache. i.e. littering I'm not sure what the fine in your state is for littering but here in California is $1000 so be nice and don't give the sport a bad name.

Edited by Shrekito

I agree. I think most cops would rather taze someone than get have a laugh with them.

The conversation was

Officer: How you doing today?

Me: Great, I bet your wonder why I am walking around searching through the weeds next to this

gaurd rail with a G.P.S. in my hand.

Officer: The thought had crossed my mind

I'm sure it's all in the delivery, but your opening line there strikes me as "the kind of too much information that sounds more suspicious to LEOs than truthful".

I would always wait for a "what are you doing" even if its a foregone conclusion that they want to know what I am doing. I think the furthest I would have gone in response to their greeting was "I'm having a little trouble finding something" with a smile/grimace.

In my short caching career, I've had two LEO encounters. Both very favorable. I think they just happened to be in the area. In both cases I initiated contact only 'cause that's my nature. The second time I handed out the Geocache pamplet. Both had heard of it, but the negative stories associated with the "pipe bomb" looking caches. Tried dispelling that as the exception, rather than the rule.

Well you are in New Jersey. Just joking!

~snip~

Oh and to the other cacher who said he would just tell them he is doing a "GEO dead-drop". Thats a good way to get your a** shot or arrested. The officers can make your life hell if they really want to. I have seen the list of the things that they can give you a ticket for. And I am sure they could give your a ticket for dropping some swag into a cache. i.e. littering I'm not sure what the fine in your state is for littering but here in California is $1000 so be nice and don't give the sport a bad name.

Do you even know what a "dead drop" is?

Any cop who was aggressive at someone doing a dead drop would likely get fired.

The rest of the comment seems a little paranoid. I assure you that police are human beings. Any cop who would write you a ticket for putting swag in a cache is likely going to write you a ticket for anything he can. That's NOT a good cop.

What was his PC for stopping you? Why do you feel obligated to explain yourself?

-Mark.

LEO: You got any ID?

GEO: Am I suspected of committing a crime?

LEO: Well, err.. No.

GEO: Am I free to go?

---------------------

It is my understanding (from another activity where you would get stopped by LEO more) that if you are not suspected of committing a crime then you do not have to provide identification. At least that's how it is in my state. (Unless you are in a car.) If you aren't doing anything that is wrong then both of your time will be wasted.

What say you Riffster or any other LEO?

2 AM. Kearney, NE. Two cachers searching a stagecoach for a micro with 2 flashlights. One police car pulls up...

... then another...

2:07 AM. Kearney, NE. Two cachers and two cops searching a stagecoach for a micro with 4 flashlights.

2:15 AM. A reluctant DNF is called. Cops and cachers cheerfully say goodbye and part ways.

That's my law enforcement encounter...

See, I'd be so on edge that I'd HAVE to find the cache at that point... A DNF and they might think I was making the whole thing up.

Then again, this is the LAPD we're discussing.

Actually, N2K...

Crime is not the issue, if the LEO "feels" you are acting suspiciously, he/she has the duty to find out whether you are/could be a threat to the safety and/or well being of the public in general.

While I am not disagreeing with you, your view seems just a little narrower than perhaps it could be. :smile:

Courts have upheld the asking for ID, whether or not a crime is suspected. Besides, the LEO most generally has two pieces of ID displayed on their uniform. A nametag, and a unique badge number. Are you wearing yours? :)

I would guess by your made up scenario, it would generate some suspicion in it's own right.

Except in Portland, where you better drop your GPSr before they either use the stun gun or shoot and kill you.

I AM in Portland and HAVE said I was doing a G-E-O dead drop.

Please don't stereotype Portland Police because of the recent incidents. I am a little familiar with the first one and it looks like the second one was suicide by cop which isn't cool for the officer.

I can't imagine what got you into that scenario but once they haul you to the precinct, the humor would have been turned off if it were me.

There is a time and place for the humor and, agreed, if you can't determine the time and place, better to not try the humor.

I was with 2 friends and we had spent the day crabbing. On the way home two of us stopped for coffee and a sandwich at the 7-Eleven in a resort town that uses a lot of "seasonal" cops. The 3rd had fallen asleep in the car so we left him while we went inside.

We came out to find two cops trying to awaken our friend by poking him with their batons. My friend woke up and looked very confused. I said simply "Don't worry Cliff, it's just a couple of summer cops having some fun". Next thing I heard was "I'll show you a summer cop" and I was on the ground in handcuffs.

Being that I was quite annoyed by the officer's total overreaction, I followed that with "What do you do in the off season, are you a schoolteacher or just unemployed?". I later found out that he was a full timer and not a seasonal cop, so I guess that is what led to me being stripped to my birthday suit and subject to a beating. Kind of humiliating laying naked on the floor getting the stuffing kicked out of yourself while a bunch of other cops stood there laughing.

Gosh, imagine if I had actually done something illegal.

So no don't use humor and absolutely, positively don't make snarky comments.

Edited by briansnat

---------------------

It is my understanding (from another activity where you would get stopped by LEO more) that if you are not suspected of committing a crime then you do not have to provide identification. At least that's how it is in my state. (Unless you are in a car.) If you aren't doing anything that is wrong then both of your time will be wasted.

Many states require that a police officer positively identify everyone they come into contact with. That means if you upset a police officer by needlessly saying no, they can take you to jail until you provide a valid ID or they can fingerprint you (hopefully you're in their system). Why not just show them your ID if you're not breaking the law? It seems that by not cooperating you are just asking for trouble. I've siad it here before; There are lots of people that get arrested because of a bad attitude. You could keep that attitude and go to jail, or you could lose it and get a ticket or even a warning.

M24

The best LEO run in I had was when the LEO asked me what I was doing and I responded with looking for a geocache.

All he heard was "cash". It was down hill from there.

I spent the next twenty minutes explaining the difference between "cache" and "cash".

In the end he told me I was nuts and let me move on.

---------------------

Many states require that a police officer positively identify everyone they come into contact with. That means if you upset a police officer by needlessly saying no, they can take you to jail until you provide a valid ID or they can fingerprint you (hopefully you're in their system). Why not just show them your ID if you're not breaking the law? It seems that by not cooperating you are just asking for trouble. I've siad it here before; There are lots of people that get arrested because of a bad attitude. You could keep that attitude and go to jail, or you could lose it and get a ticket or even a warning.

M24

There's this thing called the 4th admendment... In fact, in Oregon, an officer can ask for ID from anyone, but you don't have to show him. If he requires it from you, now you have been stopped, and there has to be cause for that.

-Mark.

Edited by GlfWrVt

In the city I live in there is a gang and drug problem on the streets and urban parks and with it a pretty high crime rate. I avoid caching in certain parks etc that are known trouble spots, I just ignore them altogether. Because of the temperate climate here we also have a lot of homeless people in certain parks. That always seems to attract law enforcement too, so again, I avoid parks that I know are "occupied" unless I know the cache is away from where those guys are camped out.

There is one very close to my house that was eating at me to find, but I drive past it often and see police nearby or sketchy looking people in hoods in the vicinity. To me, it just is not worth putting myself or the local Mounties in a position of having to explain it all and waste theirs and my time. And as noted above, these guys never know when some crack head or drug dealer is going to throw hands or a pull out a knife or a gun, so the humor level is low to non-existent.

In the more heavily wooded areas well away from people I have never had an issue or even seen a LEO, so that is where I will stay. It seems homeless people and criminals will only wander so far.

I also avoid cache locations within easy view of muggle holes for the same reason. There is always a suspicious watcher and I really don't want to have an encounter with the police if I can avoid it.

But, if I do eventually get "nabbed" for caching, I will just be honest about it and not go with any shenanigans.

I have always found being polite and courteous to work best.When they ask for something I give it to them,no questions asked.I have nothing to hide.They usually ask for ID to check for wants and warrants.It makes their job easier and my day better.Refusing to give ID just raises their suspicions and puts them in a mood that I dont feel like dealing with.Plus around here its the law.They ask,you give.